Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
74NovaNick
AF Newbie

CAR BROKEN INTO! Please help fix it!!

I'm pleading anybody that can help me fix my car. Long story short, they stole the radio (who cares), but they REALLY did a number on my ignition system. The switch where I insert the key is FUGGED UP. I need to replace it along with prolly the entire column. They tried to get to the switch itself to disable the steering lock, so they TORE up the tip of the column. My insurance will cover it, but i dunno whats better: get it taken to a mechanic or fix it myself. not a lot to do i don't think. just have to get to the switch and replace it, thats all. Can ANYBODY help? Advice is welcome. thanks.

"HELP ME! SOMEBODY HELP ME?"
-little richard, Geico. : ) funniest one...wahoooooooo!
74NovaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
74NovaNick
AF Newbie

Re: CAR BROKEN INTO! Please help fix it!!

Got to the switch by taken apart the top of the column. The directional light assembly, and then finally the entire top of the column (goes past the ignition cylinder itself). Switch is out so now its time to play the "Put it back the way it was" game. : ) Any advice would still be helpful. Thanks.

- nick
Old 03-18-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Is it a tilt column?
Blue Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
74NovaNick
AF Newbie

its a non tilt. Here's where I am right now. I have the ignition lock cylinder in my hand. The sector gear is destroyed. The rack is pretty messed up. I don't really care about be able to lock the steering wheel, but just want to be able to start the car WITH A KEY instead of hot wiring it all the time. So first, how do I get the cylinder inside the column cuz thats a pain? Second, where do I hook up the wiring from the lock cylinder to the starter? I didn't see any wires around the cylinder except the directional light "cluster". Maybe the ripped them out.... :/ note that MY starter wires run from the solenoid to the fuse block or in that general area. I think its because of the starter relay that worked at some point in the last 33 years.... : /
Old 03-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
dugan50
Authorized Vendor

The ignition switch is mounted to the top of the mast jacket of the steering column between the floor and the mounting bracket under th dash. The rack gear (long rod with the silver rack inside the column cover) pushes and pulls the switch to start the car. If the rack is messed up and sector gear is destroyed, you're going to need a lot of parts to rebuild it. If you haven't done it before, you're in for some work. Everything has to be aliogned just right to engage all the mechanismes at the right time. I would suggest you look for a used column. The upper parts fit many GM vehilces without tilt from 1972-1990. the big differences are the length of the actuator rod and/or wiper switch/delay differences. The guts are all the same (non-tilt ONLY)
dugan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
74NovaNick
AF Newbie

well withoiut the necessary parts, i guess i can't go through with it. I have to go to work tomorrow, so I gues s i'll have to hot wire it again. But what I'd like to know, so it won't get stolen again, is what is a vital piece of the ignition system that could be easily accessed and removed to prevent the car from starting, like a spark plug. Because obviously, door locks aren't working! And I was DOWNTOWN and "nobody saw" somebody ripping through my car on Main street!!! : / That rules out a car alarm. maybe like a kill switch somewhere. But hat should I hook it up to. and where? Thanks.

Last edited by 74NovaNick; 03-18-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
74NovaNick
AF Newbie

i'm looking at a coulmn from a 77 nova. i hear that'll fit the 74 with "minor" mods. i just need the neck really and then some of the guts. as long as mine was a column shift and the 77 was a column shift, the necks were the same right? (by neck, i mean from the column shifter to the steering wheel. Just those two piece.) Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
dugan50
Authorized Vendor

That's correct as far as I remember. Just make sure they are both tilt or both non-tilt. You CANNOT use parts from one to the other. You can swap from one to the other, but you must swap the entier column and they must match length, mounting, lower spline and switch connectors (wires). The "neck" you are referring to is called the upper lock housing and the lower part is called a shift bowl.
dugan50 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova