Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Flea
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Flea
should i make a mold for the body?

okay, one of the cars that i want to make some models of doesn't exsist in a kit form (but there was a company that made a limited run of 1/24th scale plastic cars, held together with screws) ... i have gotten several of those cars ... and am now debating on if i should make a mold of the body and then make a new one and modify it from there ... if i am doing it for my own personal use would there be an issue with the company? ... (they went out of business, but have been reopened later by someone else) ...
Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

If you're making them for personal use, you should be fine, espescially if they line is discontinued. Don't sweat it unless you try to sell the moldings.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Flea
AF Regular

Re: should i make a mold for the body?

yeah it would be for personal use... have a few variations of the car i want to make and it would be cheaper to make a mold of the body to do it instead of trying to scour ebay and find more of them ...
Old 02-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
Black_Delorean
AF Regular

Flea do you make molds frequently?
I wanted to do a mold too but of a 1/18 scale diecast model to turn it into a body for my micro sized rc car.
Can you teach me to make a mold?
Black_Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #5
Flea
AF Regular

Re: should i make a mold for the body?

not real frequently ... maybe a few times a year .. when i want an extra part ...

what i am doing right now is i have filled in the inside of the peice with clay .. and making a form just below it that is flush with the body .. then i will carve the window seals out a bit more ... and pour the rubber stuff in to make the mould for the outside ... and scrape out the clay once it is dry and put in a release agent .. and pour it in for the inside ...

i am about halfway through right now just been buisy with work so i have it sealed up in a container so the clay wont dry out.