Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
andrew74
AF Newbie

Unhappy repair costs

help,
I took my 96 camry coupe (80,000 mi) in for a tune-up. The service guy said the brakes are gone ($480), the timing belt should be replaced ($350), the rear bushings are gone ($110), the valve cover gasket is broken ($160), the distributor line is leaking ($150), and a few bulbs are out ($25). Do these prices sound reasonable? They, of course include labor. Help!
andrew74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
toasted8x
AF Newbie

Try to shop around from place to place, other places maybe cheaper then the prices you have posted.
I have actually taken auto class and know almost every that I needed to know when I am fixing my Camry, I found that doing some labor yourself is a LOT cheap then letting people do it for you. (Of Course)

All I have to say is , check other places before coming to a agreement to have that place fixing up you car.

toasted8x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 09:42 AM   #3
mcleodbf1
AF Newbie

Service costs

Absolutely shop around. I just spent $550 for timing belt and water pump for my 97 Camry(shop recommended by a colleague). I suspect I paid at least $150 too much. I had the timing belt changed on a Celica and it only cost me $220 but that was 7 years ago. Also, just get done what needs to be done. These guys make a good living by selling you service that is not necessary. For Brakes do not pay more than $250 for all 4 wheels. Timing belt for a 4 cyl should be less than $300. For a 6 cyl less than $400. Hope that helps.
mcleodbf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 08:36 PM   #4
89CamryV6
AF Newbie

Re: repair costs

you are getting ripped off, get a haynes manual for 15 bucks and save yourself a thousand
89CamryV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:14 AM   #5
Bossman
AF Enthusiast

You should change your timing belt every 60,000 miles so you're over due now. I receive coupons in the mail from local Toyota dealers all the time and I've never seen a price higher than $129.00 to change a timing belt. Valve cover gaskets and distributor "O" rings are a problem with Camrys. They tend to leak more frequently than other makes. If the leaks are really bad then you'll need them replaced. If not, then just let them leak for a while and keep your eye on them. That's what I'm doing now with my '92 Camry 4-cyl. Another common leak is the oil pan gasket.
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:56 AM   #6
yotatechie04
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to yotatechie04 Send a message via AIM to yotatechie04 Send a message via MSN to yotatechie04 Send a message via Yahoo to yotatechie04
Re: Re: repair costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89CamryV6
you are getting ripped off, get a haynes manual for 15 bucks and save yourself a thousand
I strongly agree ^ you can purchase a Haynes manual at any auto part store in your area. Not only will it save you a bundle, but you'll learn more in the process. And if you think that you're not capable, the Haynes manual makes it very clear and easy to understand what you need to do, or what you're trying to accomplish. I've been using a Haynes manual on every car that I've owned, and believe me, compared to what everyone else I know is spending on labor, it's saved my neck. I've done all the work on my Camry with the help of my trusty Haynes manual, and I'll be damned if I ever let some cracked out mechanic or service center charge me out the ass for labor and unnessesary stuff...just go for the manual, what have you got to lose? 15 dollars?
yotatechie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:31 PM   #7
ChewToy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ChewToy
Bossman your car sounds a lot like my 94 camry 2.2L with 160,000 mi's. My mechanic has put on a new valve cover gasket, new distributor O ring and now he says my oil pan and my tranny pan are leaking. He's cheap but these repairs are becoming a real pain in my you know where. He says he can fix my oil leaks for about another 200.00 but with all the starting problems I'm having now I think I better ditch this thing asap. He recently put on a used distributor and that seems to have fixed my stalling problem (I pray) but it's still not easy to start. Turns over (no clicking) but almost seems it's not getting fuel or something. After a few tries it fires up but I have to give it gas to keep it running or else it dies immediately.. so heads up that might be in your near future! But I hope not. I don't know what to do, nobody can fix this thing!?
ChewToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:00 AM   #8
Bossman
AF Enthusiast

ChewToy,
Sorry to hear about your problems with your Camry. We seem to have the same leaks but I don't have the starting/stalling problem. Have you changed your fuel filter lately? I don't let mine go any longer than 30,000 miles because one time I did let it go longer and I was on the side of the road with a clogged up filter which made the fuel pump fail. It got a little expensive at that point. I'm told the oil pan gasket is the "liquid gasket" type meaning they put a bead of that tooth paste looking stuff all along the pan and it has to set over night. Don't really know if that's true but that's what one repair shop told me. Also, your transmission leak should merely be a matter of dropping the pan and replacing the cork gasket, I should think. I watched them do it at the trans shop and I've never had a problem. I hope some of this helps.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #9
ChewToy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ChewToy
No I haven't changed my fuel filter in 30k miles or more. I bought the car with 133k miles and have no idea when it was changed. I have 160k miles now. I've thought it could be a fuel problem off and on for some time now. The car cranks but doesn't fire up but eventually does after 3-4 tries. Would a clogged fuel filter cause intermittent starting problems?
ChewToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:15 AM   #10
Bossman
AF Enthusiast

ChewToy,
Yes, I believe so. As I said before, mine clogged up once and it made the fuel pump fail which put me on the side of the road. This is a cheap fix and I suggest you at least try it and see if it cures your starting problems. If it doesn't work then you'll know that you have a different problem other than a clogged fuel filter. You may also want to consider changing your spark plugs and spark plug wires and maybe even a "new" distributor cap. Your car is going on ten years now and such things need to be changed out in order to keep it in tip-top shape. Best of luck and please let us know. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2003, 01:25 AM   #11
superdesi
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewToy
No I haven't changed my fuel filter in 30k miles or more. I bought the car with 133k miles and have no idea when it was changed. I have 160k miles now. I've thought it could be a fuel problem off and on for some time now. The car cranks but doesn't fire up but eventually does after 3-4 tries. Would a clogged fuel filter cause intermittent starting problems?

My fuel filter was a PITA to change. Toyota nowhere in their manuals recommends replacing the filter.......but I did it at 154K miles just because I thought it was long overdue. Why does Toyota put these filters in impossible locations?
- 2003 Town Car Signature
superdesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 04:57 AM   #12
Bossman
AF Enthusiast

Supredesi,
I wish I had my owners manual with me now so I could check the inspect/replace intervals for the fuel filter. I'm quite sure it says to replace it but I just can't remember the mileage/time intervals. I've had several repair shops, to include Toyota dealers, tell me not to let the fuel filter go beyond 30,000 miles and due to the problem I had, I believe them. You're absolutely right about it being a real pain in the behind to change. That's why I pay the extra bucks and have a repair person do it. They have the tools, the facilities and the know-how so I pay them to do it right. I just had my fuel filter changed, new NGK platinum spark plugs installed, the timing set and the radiator coolant changed out; all for a little over $100. This was done at a new repair shop that just opened in my area and they did a great job. Let us know how things work out for you.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:43 PM   #13
csaxon
AF Regular

Location: Cedar Rapids IA, San Diego CA,Glen Cove NY, Fairford UK, New York
Toyota has no fuel filter change interval. It's up to the customer or if toyota repair diagnosis requires filter replacement.
csaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:42 AM   #14
thinjim
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to thinjim Send a message via Yahoo to thinjim

Try going to pep boys. Your mechanic sounds like ALOT of the mechanics I used to employ. At least he makes a living. I'm not saying pep boys won't cost you money but they will get it fixed.

thinjim

thinjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewToy
Bossman your car sounds a lot like my 94 camry 2.2L with 160,000 mi's. My mechanic has put on a new valve cover gasket, new distributor O ring and now he says my oil pan and my tranny pan are leaking. He's cheap but these repairs are becoming a real pain in my you know where. He says he can fix my oil leaks for about another 200.00 but with all the starting problems I'm having now I think I better ditch this thing asap. He recently put on a used distributor and that seems to have fixed my stalling problem (I pray) but it's still not easy to start. Turns over (no clicking) but almost seems it's not getting fuel or something. After a few tries it fires up but I have to give it gas to keep it running or else it dies immediately.. so heads up that might be in your near future! But I hope not. I don't know what to do, nobody can fix this thing!?
Try going to pep boys. Your mechanic sounds like ALOT of the mechanics I used to employ. At least he makes a living. I'm not saying pep boys won't cost you money but they will get it fixed.

thinjim
thinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 04:51 AM   #15
corvair
AF Newbie

belive it or not the toyota fuel filter is a life of the car item. i have worked for toyota for over 20 years and the only time i have ever seen a toyota fuel filter clogg is when either the fuel was contaminated or the fuel tank is full of rust. ever price a toyota fuel filter? if any of you guys are in the central florida area give me a call i'll save you lots of money and use toyota parts. remember there is nothing out there better than toyota filters air, fuel or oil.
corvair is offline   Reply With Quote