Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
mika3585
AF Newbie

idk if i have this in the right spot oh will need help with a project

my project car is a v6 1996 Pontiac Grand AM and it have not been run for almost 10 years and i know i need to get a new battery for it but what kind of mods should i do to it and it is a automatic and i want to change it into a manual but my mom have to drive it time to time so i guess i keep it a automatic
mika3585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: idk if i have this in the right spot oh will need help with a project

Besides a manual transmission, what kind of "mods" are you interested in? Cosmetic? Audio? Handling? Braking? Acceleration? If the car's been sitting for 10 years, does your mom really NEED to be able to drive the car? Although there's a lot involved in switching a car from an automatic to a manual so I do not recommend that. You'd probably be dollars ahead to just buy a used Grand Am that started life as a manual.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
mika3585
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Besides a manual transmission, what kind of "mods" are you interested in? Cosmetic? Audio? Handling? Braking? Acceleration? If the car's been sitting for 10 years, does your mom really NEED to be able to drive the car? Although there's a lot involved in switching a car from an automatic to a manual so I do not recommend that. You'd probably be dollars ahead to just buy a used Grand Am that started life as a manual.

-Rod
the car has been around seen i was born and there r so many good things i remember about it and i made a deal with my mom if i can get it to start running and everything i can have the car in my name but i let her use it when ever she wants to and ummm really the car needs alot of cosmetic work because there is mold everywhere in the car so i think all new setting need a new gear shifted just everything on the inside have to be renew do u know any good website where i can get the stuff from
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

I don't know of any specific websites for the Grand Am other than maybe GM Parts Direct. You could check JC Whitney for aftermarket items.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
mika3585
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
I don't know of any specific websites for the Grand Am other than maybe GM Parts Direct. You could check JC Whitney for aftermarket items.

-Rod
thank you
Old 08-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika3585 View Post
my project car is a v6 1996 Pontiac Grand AM and it have not been run for almost 10 years and i know i need to get a new battery for it but what kind of mods should i do to it and it is a automatic and i want to change it into a manual but my mom have to drive it time to time so i guess i keep it a automatic

G'day, if it hasn't been run for 10 years there it is going to need more than just a new battery and some cleaning of the interior.

Depending on how it was stored, it may need some basic things, or it maybe better of sent for scrap.

I've found it's never good to get sentimentally attached to a car, it always ends up costing to much.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
mika3585
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie View Post
G'day, if it hasn't been run for 10 years there it is going to need more than just a new battery and some cleaning of the interior.

Depending on how it was stored, it may need some basic things, or it maybe better of sent for scrap.

I've found it's never good to get sentimentally attached to a car, it always ends up costing to much.
ummm it just stayed setting in the drive way thats it and i am not going to do it my mom want to be a meanie so she can fix that car up herself without the help of my bf (she kicked me out because she is a big meanie)

Last edited by shorod; 08-21-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Removed profanity. I didn't try to fix the grammer/sentence structure.