Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
daveck2
AF Newbie

Unhappy Car bogs down..Fuel Regulator?

Hello,
I posted about 3 months ago with a problem on my 93 318is that bogs down at certain times when accelerating. Only does it when car gets warmed up (about 5 min of driving). I replaced the temp sensor, most of the vacume hoses, checked the intake boot.

I was told to check the Fuel Pressure Regulator, but have not been able to find out how, so I was just going to replace it.
But I can't find any BMW parts sources with this part. Is it called something else. I can see the part on the engine but can't find it in any paper or online catalogs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
daveck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
BAVARIANM
AF Regular

Re: Car bogs down..Fuel Regulator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveck2
Hello,
I posted about 3 months ago with a problem on my 93 318is that bogs down at certain times when accelerating. Only does it when car gets warmed up (about 5 min of driving). I replaced the temp sensor, most of the vacume hoses, checked the intake boot.

I was told to check the Fuel Pressure Regulator, but have not been able to find out how, so I was just going to replace it.
But I can't find any BMW parts sources with this part. Is it called something else. I can see the part on the engine but can't find it in any paper or online catalogs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fuel pressure regulator failure is rare on this vehicle. On newer models where the regulator is part of the filter, is much more common. Do what you want, but I'd look elsewhere.
BAVARIANM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
BAVARIANM
AF Regular

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge. What's you're pressure at idle?
BAVARIANM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
daveck2
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Re: Car bogs down..Fuel Regulator?

I've been told the Mass Air Flow sensor/meter could be the culpret. Has anyone else had this problem? I took the sensor off the car and cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner but no help. I don't want to spend the $400 for a new one if it's not the poblem. What do you experts think?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
daveck2
AF Newbie

Ok, I've been told it is probably the Mass Air Flow Sensor, or is it "Meter"? How can I test this? The part new is over $500! Does anyone have a good source for used ones? Help
Old 04-02-2006, 07:24 AM   #6
Dick Wolf
Banned

If the sensor is bad there will be a code on the computer for sure.

There is a getto way to test. If you disconect it while the car idles it should make a noticeable RPM change the moment it is unplugged. Or it may do the say if knock it with a small object. (dont hit too hard)
Dick Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
Dick Wolf
Banned

Also connect a vacuum gage and see what it does. You should see a vacuum surge if it leans out. It could very well be a vacuum leak.

Check fuel pressure on it. There should be a test nipple for a gage to plug in. If not you could connect thru a t-fitting to injector rail. Then drive it and see if there is surge in fuel pressure.

Desides thi you could have an ignition problem. Take a plug out and see if its got a layer of black dry crabon on all of the plug. If its there you have a weak ignition.

Othe then that your TPS sensor could be bad-that can be tested by a dealer or with voltmeter if you know what you are doing. Also should have it scanned for codes- it will pretty much give you a picture- I am sure ther are lotsa intermitent problems that were along the way

I am pretty sure it will pin point the problem. I dont recomend replacing any part till u know what it is.
Diagnosis is %75 of all mechanical work, the rest is wrenching
Dick Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series