Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 11:41 PM   #1
UltimateBMW
AF Newbie

330ci to m3 conversions

I currently own a 2001 330CI. I would like to make the appearance resemble that of a M3. I want to get the 8.5/18 front 9/18 rear M3 rims and with the tires they come with. I would also like ot get the M3 front fenders and front bumpers, side skirts and all that other good stuff. I am a bit confused over compatability issues. I have seen footnotes by idems that suggest that a regular 3 series and a M3 have different measurements. I would a set of tires that would fit a reg 3 series but not a m3. Then i have heard that a M3 front fender/bumper are wider then a reg 330's. Is it impossible to my to switch out these items from OEM M3 items bought from a dealership? Or are other poeple just confused like me about the sizing and fitting.
UltimateBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 08:23 AM   #2
NJMAXSELTD
AF Enthusiast

All E46 bodys are totally interchangeable. You can put anything M3 E46 on any other E46 3 series car.
NJMAXSELTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 08:49 PM   #3
pod13
AF Newbie

While I certainly don't know all the parts of the M3 that will fit your M3 my guess is fewer than you might think. There are parts that will make your 330 LOOK like an M3, but you can't just slap M3 parts on.

The wheels are not interchangable. They have a different offset. You can get replicas that will fit your 330 that LOOK like the M3 ones.

There is also an M3 lip spoiler avaliable along with other parts from the M-Sports package.
pod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 10:37 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
AF Newbie

Well, that is what i was afraid of. I was thinking that all E46 parts would be interchangable, you would think that they are. but i guess you cant argue with measurements. I am wondering about the M3 wheels. i dont really know what it means to have a different offset. So if someone could explain on how a wheel with the same 5 bolt style, that the measurements fit, how could it not work? or does offset have something to do with the 5 bolts or something or other.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:11 AM   #5
NJMAXSELTD
AF Enthusiast

M3 E46 Wheels will bolt right on any E46 car. The offset difference is what makes the wider wheel fit under the fender.

E46 body is the same throughout the line. The only difference in the M series is the engine, drivetrane and suspension setup. Of course some cosmetic changes as well. Most everything M3 E46 will bolt right onto any other 3 series E46 car. BMW has been doing this for years. It's all dependent on body code. E46, E36 ect and the series 3,5, ect. Almost everything within a series with the same body code is interchangeable. I think only 7 & 8 series are in a class by themselves.
NJMAXSELTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 10:32 AM   #6
UltimateBMW
AF Newbie

Thanks NJ, that is a big help now all i got to do is find some nice M3 bumpers and fenders. lol. also im still a bit confused about offset differencial on wheels, what is it a measure ment of?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:01 PM   #7
pod13
AF Newbie

Ok for some reason I was writting M3 but in my head it sounded like M5. So for the record, you can't put M5 wheels on your 330 but you should be able to bolt M3 wheels right on.

You would think the bumbers and such would fit the same too. BMW used to just take a regular 3 series and put all these permance parts on and call it a M. With the E46 they didn't do that... at least in the engine compartment.

As another resource, the forums on e46fanatics are loaded with ppl making modifications to thier bimmer.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:58 PM   #8
UltimateBMW
AF Newbie

i read posts their as well, i post at BMWplanet.com also. same name. take a look sometime.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:13 PM   #9
pod13
AF Newbie

This board never seems to get any traffic. e46 is much more active. bimmerfest has a great one too.

I don't know if i've ever been to bmwplanet. I'll check them out.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series