Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Magazine Critic > EVO
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 12:56 AM   #1
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Anyone else read this mag?

I know it's a British rag, but I always find myself reading this magazine more than our domestic magazines. It's refreshing to see the automotive industry from a different standpoint. I don't know if many of you in the U.S. have noticed, but it seems like many of our magazines such as Sport Compact Car and Road & Track, are based in Southern California. It's nice and all, especially for me being from this area, but it's easy to forget that Southern Cal isn't some sort of automotive capital. EVO seems to get the news early and intricately, particularily news from Europe (duh) and Japan. Check them out if you haven't already.

EVO's website.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 06:54 PM   #2
cracker196
AF Regular

evo is the best car mag there is bar none. who cares if I'll never see half the cars they write about, that's the fun of it. check it out. they sell it at Borders books, that' s about the only place I can find it. it is expensive but worth it. much better than any US mag.
cracker196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 09:46 AM   #3
tmathew
AF Newbie

EVO biases

I pick up EVO every once in a while, and I agree that it is an excellent car mag, clever and informative. The photography is great, and they concentrate on sports/exotic cars. Even if a lot of the cars are out of reach financially, who cares? If I have to read one more SUV comparo in our US mags, I'm gonna hurl.
However, I would criticize EVO in that they have a definite bias toward English marques. They do not hesitate to nitpick about US and Japanese cars, while overlooking major flaws in British cars (eg, seen any of the butt-ugly Caterham models lately? EVO seems to love this company)
tmathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 08:12 PM   #4
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

I'm beginning to get your drift on that remark. I guess it's safe to say that each nation has their publications praising their domestic icons. (Then again, more than once do I remember our U.S. magazines ranking M3s over 'vettes.)
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 11:54 PM   #5
AFSilverstar
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to AFSilverstar Send a message via AIM to AFSilverstar
u have to be in the UK to subscribe?
AFSilverstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:23 AM   #6
Tetsuo
AF Enthusiast

evo is an excellent magazine that covers a pretty broad amount of cars around the world. Though I must agree that there is not much coverage on American automobiles but that comes with good reason. If readers want to read more on the Corvette or the Mustang then don't read evo because it will be rare. There is no market for these cars that is primarily for the UK enthusiast since they have different tastes in vehicles. I do think the Corvette is the only true American muscle car that is sold in the UK and is not used to compare with other cars since there are other vehicles with more appeal. About this bias for British might be true, but the editors are human and will lean with towards them. That goes without saying that these editors are very honest and on the most part open minded. Such as the articles with a Murcielago being picked number one and Porsche Turbo X50 picked number two out of a four car comparison where one of the other cars is Italian and the other being British. When the Porsche GT3 was named evo car of the year in 1999 over the 360 Modena and many other marques.

evo has subscriptions for US readers, in which the price is a pretty penny. I actually subscribe to the magazine along with other top UK publications.
Tetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:46 AM   #7
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: EVO biases

Quote:
Originally posted by tmathew
However, I would criticize EVO in that they have a definite bias toward English marques. They do not hesitate to nitpick about US and Japanese cars, while overlooking major flaws in British cars (eg, seen any of the butt-ugly Caterham models lately? EVO seems to love this company)
Ive read english, french, and american mags and I think evo is far and away the best mag out there. They focus on the thrill of driving, what more could you ask for? And that is why you are incorrect in your statement, my friend. the Caterham 7 may not be to your liking looks-wise, but it is arguably the finest damn road-car to drive on this planet... still wondering why they "like it"?
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:16 AM   #8
AnsisK
AF Enthusiast

I have to say that evo is the bet car mag. out there. I don't care what a stupid Civic HB can do a 1/4 mile in! Where's the thrill in that? The photography, the articles, all amazing in evo. As for the Caterham 7, it is one of the best damn track cars you can buy, it doesn't matter what it looks like! It was designed in the 50's! No Corvettes? Well look around in England for a Corvette. There is no market for them. Did anyone read this year's Car of the Year? The one where the NSXT won it? Amazing article. Somewhere around 40 pages long, just absolutely incredible.
AnsisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:21 AM   #9
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Anyone else read this mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsisK
Did anyone read this year's Car of the Year? The one where the NSXT won it? Amazing article. Somewhere around 40 pages long, just absolutely incredible.
Yeah, read that one, eCOTY issues are great… im only missing one, 2000 I think when the 996 T won it… im looking forward to this year’s one already…. 360 Challenge Stradale vs 911GT3 RS vs Gallardo, plus the supporting cast of course… it’s gonna be the best one yet!
Old 08-22-2003, 08:35 PM   #10
AnsisK
AF Enthusiast

That's if they have enough time to find a Gallardo to use in COTY. Can't forget EvoVIIFQ500. Looking forward to it. Who won this year's TCOTY?
AnsisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:25 PM   #11
crayzayjay
CFA

The Radical SR3-LM Tracksport won TCOTY, Caterham R400 a narrow second..
Old 10-13-2003, 09:22 PM   #12
Black Dak
AF Newbie

Believe it or not, I found it in a small local drug store, for the low price of $6.99 Canadian.
Black Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:49 AM   #13
crayzayjay
CFA

Cool. Is it the latest issue with the Enzo on the cover? picked mine up yesterday
Old 10-23-2003, 02:17 PM   #14
12CylinderSymphony
AF Newbie

The Enzo vs Koenigsegg vs Zonda article was brilliant. And in the uk the mag is no dearer than others. And Caterhams are not really meant to be pretty. They are bare bones, thrill machines.

Also in that Enzo article it said of all the cars the enzo had the least steering feel with the least feedback. Most other magazines have said it had the best handling.
12CylinderSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:27 AM   #15
crayzayjay
CFA

Actually I think quite a few testers have hinted at that by saying the Carrera GT is a lot more communicative. Still, when evo says it, its official

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Magazine Critic > EVO