Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > Hot and Not
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Hot and Not Express your opinion about this site here. Any comments, good or bad, are welcome.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 10:38 PM   #1
MDLarson
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MDLarson
Huge signatures and offensive images

This place doesn't seem to have much class - I've seen some pretty rude smilies (middle finger, swear words...) and some pretty offensive signatures. One signature is an animated GIF of a woman taking off her shirt to expose herself (a bra is still there, but still... c'mon).

And the other thing, why is there seemingly no restraint to signatures? They apparently can be of any vertical length they want, and any subject matter. It's sometimes sorting through the images to get to the content (the only reason I'm interested in this forum).

Maybe whoever setup vBulletin had fun turning on ALL of the options?

I'm not trying to spoil people's fun, but it seems a little too much.

WRX + Mac mini Project
Old 08-23-2003, 11:17 PM   #2
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

The moderators have time and time again reminded people not to use HUGE IMAGES in signatures. Signatures also can only contain a limited number of characters. As for content of signatures, I don't think anybody has anything truly inapropriate (That I've seen but I haven't seen everything)

As for the smilies, nobody cares about your opinions on them Just kidding.

Actually, I don't know if those are really middle fingers they kind of look like tiny cactuses.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:39 AM   #3
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Unless you are hanging out in www.pansies.org then you'd know that this site has as much or more class then most. There is a touch of reality in this forum and with that come some crassness. If that’s not acceptable to you, then don't stop here.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 08-24-2003, 11:19 PM   #4
HiFlow5 0
Stanger

Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Re: Huge signatures and offensive images

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLarson
This place doesn't seem to have much class - I've seen some pretty rude smilies (middle finger, swear words...) and some pretty offensive signatures. One signature is an animated GIF of a woman taking off her shirt to expose herself (a bra is still there, but still... c'mon).
You wouldn't happen to be a Mormon would you?

Old 08-24-2003, 11:26 PM   #5
Jetts
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Jetts
i have got bitched at twice for my signature 2 diff. times so yea they do shit about it

and get over it it is life

11/07/87 - 11/11/04
*** KEITH VALLEE***
R.I.P
Keith. higher then any mother fucker out there..... R.I.P homie..
Old 08-25-2003, 01:26 AM   #6
BigDanTheMan
I read and am helpful.

Send a message via AIM to BigDanTheMan
Re: Re: Huge signatures and offensive images

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlow5 0
You wouldn't happen to be a Mormon would you?
mormon at least, square for sure!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:24 AM   #7
MDLarson
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MDLarson
Look, I don't want to turn this into a religous thread, but I am Christian (not Mormon). And I don't care if you think I'm square, I still want to post here and use the site. And I know what professionalism looks like. This site does NOT look professional.

Other "more professional" boards have taken pains to ban swearing - and not surprisingly, people can still express themselves.

Also, please don't personally attack me for my beliefs - I wouldn't attack yours. All I'm trying to do is bring it to light and understand the reasons (if any) for the relatively unrestrained atmosphere here.

WRX + Mac mini Project
Old 08-25-2003, 08:39 AM   #8
zebrathree
Banned

Ah fuck, no more swearing.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
HiFlow5 0
Stanger

Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0

Quote:
Look, I don't want to turn this into a religous thread, but I am Christian (not Mormon). And I don't care if you think I'm square, I still want to post here and use the site. And I know what professionalism looks like. This site does NOT look professional.

Other "more professional" boards have taken pains to ban swearing - and not surprisingly, people can still express themselves.

Also, please don't personally attack me for my beliefs - I wouldn't attack yours. All I'm trying to do is bring it to light and understand the reasons (if any) for the relatively unrestrained atmosphere here.
Sorry if you thought I was personally attacking you, but I wasn't. I was just trying to make a joke out of the whole thing. I don't really care what religion you are, to each his own.

A board doesn't have to ban swearing to be professional! We have sponsors, partnerships, and a well trained team to help weed though the miles of posts to ensure people are being civil. That sounds pretty professional to me. With upwards or 87 thousand members there is going to be some leeway on what happens and an unrestrained atmosphere is evident because of this.

After all swears are just words and as long as they are not abused then I think they are OK to get a point across now and then. There have been plenty of cases where someone post was edited because a swear was used in the wrong context, and was offending.

I think this board is one of the best. Maybe I'm just biased, but there are tons of boards on the net that are just plain ridiculous, where all they do is flame and swear abundantly. This board is more laid back and doesn't feel all stuffy like some of the other places I have visited, that's why I love it!

I hope this is all shedding some light for you. By all means enjoy your stay, and take it for what you will. If someone is seriously offending you then repost the post to a moderator, and hopefully it will be taken care.

-Craig

Old 08-25-2003, 10:53 AM   #10
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
and i thought everyone liked my sig acutally about a couple months ago there was a crackdown on peoples avatars...and it was no big deal....this site is very professional....but how professional would it be if Igor restricted everone on how they can post and no swearing, etc...this site is for itz users and Igor is allowing us to basically have rule over this site....somethings are not tolerated while other things are...all depends on what the situation is....i prosonally don't have a problem with the little smilies fiving the finger or people using inapproperiate language....even though i don't....i'm hear to gater info and to enjoy other peoples opnions and company...that's about it

as for brittney...u see more in a tv commercial for soap
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
Old 08-25-2003, 11:04 AM   #11
76_cobra
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

Then don't post here, and that is the kind of thinking of Mormons I live in Utah, and if there is something that they don't like then they have to ruin it for everybody, they have to push their ideals and beliefs upon everyone else. If you don't think that this site is professional then don't post here no one is forcing you to be here there are plenty of other sites that have what u are looking for. One image may be offensive to you but someone else may like it, it's all relative so get over it if u don't like offensive language or images then don't put any in your sig or avatar.

BTW I like the Brittany pic

Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'.
We all got it comin', kid.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:04 AM   #12
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4

Quote:

I know professionalism as well. This site exhibits more then any other public non-corporate sponsored forum that I have ever seen.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 08-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #13
TheNotoriousMogg
AF's #1 Bad Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheNotoriousMogg Send a message via Yahoo to TheNotoriousMogg

Quote:
This place doesn't seem to have much class - I've seen some pretty rude smilies (middle finger, swear words...) and some pretty offensive signatures.

Then go away

thegrumpysergeant.net
Old 08-26-2003, 01:00 PM   #14
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
brittney is gone made my sig look too big
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
Old 08-26-2003, 03:35 PM   #15
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af

Quote:

Having read this and your first post(the beginning of the thread) I would like to point a few things out:

1. This is the first Complaint thread about such things I have read, and I'll have been here a year in October. People usually have no problem with the smilies because they know, as most people with a sense of humour do, that they are meant mostly for jokes. If you dont enjoy the smiley, you dont have to use it, simple as that.

2. Swearing, though as unprofessional as it may seem to you (and Im sure others) is still considered free speech. Common sense leads most of us to understand where this can be used, and where this can't be used. You'll never get away from coarse language, just as your kids(present or future) will see it regardless of what you try to do. If you dont like the forum because of the coarse language that may be in some of the threads, dont read through the forum. This site is very good at keeping things low key, and keeping any fights under control. Users are allowed to voice their opinions in how they see fit, should a user use a type of inappropriate language that is viewed by many of the other users as offensive, a warning is issued to the user via private message, and hopefully the problem is taken care of. We have a great moderating group who have no problem doing their job, and show the other members the same amount of respect that is given to them.

3. Unprofessional? I guess it should just be a reference spot for nothing but absolutes huh? I agree with Yogs, this site is top notch compared to some of the sites Ive encountered. Im sorry, but this site is here for enjoyment, people come here because it's fun, not because "hey, that site is clean cut" Now dont get me wrong, Im not insulting AF, If AF were nothing but a reference site, I'd never be on here. I love the fact that you can discuss anything about anything with anyone. The user guidelines are posted by most of the moderators and when a member joins the site, it's pretty clear that should you not follow the guidelines, even after warnings, you will be removed, that sounds professional to myself, but hey, that really doesnt matter does it?

Anyways, that's my spiel, so take what you will, but that's how I view things.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.