Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 02:20 AM   #1
virginia
AF Newbie

1994 325 is overheating, heater cold

We just bought a 1994 325 with 138,000 miles. We drove the car back home 2000 miles and it drove fine. We had it two days and it's now running hot and stalling. The interior heater is cold. We replaced the thermostat and removed air bubbles from hoses. It still gets hot. Does anyone know what else we can try? Thanks for any responses.
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
freniv
AF Newbie

water pump

I've got a 1995 325ic and had to replace the water pump. I'd suggest that you make sure your water pump isn't defective. They came with plastic impelers on a metal shaft. After a while the plastic would spin off the metal shaft. Thus the fluid won't circulate and you won't get any heat. I found mine too late and it cracked the neck off the rad. Failing that your heater core may be plugged. My first guess would be your water pump as everyone has issues with the pump impellers failing.

Goog luck
freniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
virginia
AF Newbie

Wink Re: water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by freniv
I've got a 1995 325ic and had to replace the water pump. I'd suggest that you make sure your water pump isn't defective. They came with plastic impelers on a metal shaft. After a while the plastic would spin off the metal shaft. Thus the fluid won't circulate and you won't get any heat. I found mine too late and it cracked the neck off the rad. Failing that your heater core may be plugged. My first guess would be your water pump as everyone has issues with the pump impellers failing.

Goog luck
The water pump was toast. The plastic was erroded, soft and the shaft was spinning without the impeller. No cooling flow for the engine or hot water for the heater. I also found the thermostate was not openin all the way which made the heater slow to warm up prior to it totally stop working.

The impeller material choice is poor and anyone with the plastic part should replace it as soon as possible to prevent overheat damage to your engine. It is a fairly easy fix, provided you can get the fan nut loose and have the two metric bolts needed to ease the old pump out of the engine. NAPA sells a new pump with the metal impeller for about $65. Overheating, damage to the cooling system including radiator replacement seem to be very common problem for the 3 series with these poorly designed pumps.

Thanks
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote