Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 04:16 AM   #1
vrdodd
AF Newbie

Exclamation 87 3.18 problems HELP!

Hello all I could use some help I'm not much of a car guy but i know a little.Here it is.I bought an 87 bmw 318 (euro specs) about a month ago.It had an oil leak so i had the engine cleaned so as it could pass the strict german inspection standards.Of course the guy got water in the distrubtor and in the process of drying found that it was in pretty shape.I had to register it that day and only had a few hours...long story short it failed inspection and sat for a week.I went this week to put a new cap and rotor on it.A friend helped me and got the plug wires mixed up,we know the firing order but where does it start?The rotor spins counter clockwise.Could this have screwed timing up?We tried the plugs every which way and it had no fire.It has a brand new battery also.And we know the coil has fire.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Sorry so long.
vrdodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
Sexy beast
Banned

light a flashlight into the tiny hole that peeps into the clutch chamber...right behind the head. Turn the engine until you see the mark on the flywheel...it should be a line with a circle. Then look at the rotor on the distributor...it should be alligned with the wire for cylinder No.1, then the rest is easy...I think the order is 1342...but I have to check my book.
Sexy beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
vrdodd
AF Newbie

Thx sexy beast I will give it a try.Could there be any other cause for not turning over?Maybe o2 sensor or something.I really have no Idea about cars.Thx again.
vrdodd is offline   Reply With Quote