Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 AM   #1
300dollerstang
AF Newbie

Unhappy some one help me

they sey its going to cost 1200 to fix this car there rebuilding the transmission is this smart to let them do this
300dollerstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:32 AM   #2
Doug Rodrigues
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Doug Rodrigues
That depends entirely on the honesty of the shop. For starters, there is no such thing as a "good deal." You get what you pay for. If the shop has been in business for many, many years, it's probably okay. If the guy is working out of a van parked under a shade tree, run....don't walk away. Dealerships are usually very expensive, but the repair or rebuild is usually done correctly to manufacturer's specs. Transmission shops are a bit cheaper, but they use different methods of "rebuilding" a transmission. i.e. instead of replacing the clutches in the automatic transmission to obtain proper tolerance, the non-dealership shop will use thicker spacers between the clutches to obtain the same result. What type of guarantee do they have? Just be real cautious in deciding who you will allow to repair your transmission. Also, don't fall for the low-ball estimate of "but we don't know exactly how much until we open it up." Get an estimate for the maximum amount it will cost and assume that the high maximum price will probably be the actual cost.
Doug Rodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
fastracing1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fastracing1
Re: some one help me

why dont you just buy a new tansmission im oly 14 but ive seen transmissions cheapers than that fx up cost
fastracing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:44 PM   #4
Doug Rodrigues
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Doug Rodrigues
True....a good transmission can be had at a wrecking yard if you have the time, the tools, the ability, and the good luck to find a transmission in a vehicle exactly like yours. The ideal situation would be to find a low mileage vehicle which has been totaled. However, with the exception of one Ford C-6 transmission, I've never been lucky enough to ever find what I was looking for out of a wrecking yard.
Doug Rodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:35 PM   #5
CADIBROUGHAM
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300dollerstang
they sey its going to cost 1200 to fix this car there rebuilding the transmission is this smart to let them do this
CALL AROUND TO SEVERAL SHOPS AND GET DIFFRENT QUOTES. A LOT OF SHOP ARE VERY COMPETITIVE WITH THE PRICE. YOU MIGHT TURN THE 1200 INTO 1000 OR MAYBE 900
CADIBROUGHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:54 PM   #6
icE_x
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to icE_x

Here's what i'd do:

1. Ask your friends who they'd recommend. Usually, if they did a good job fixing your friends car, they'll do just as good with yours (usually, but ya never know nowadays)

2. Shop around. If you want to be sure the job is done right, dealer is the way to go. They usually have a better warranty than other places. However, other shops can do just as good a job as the dealer, if not better, and for a cheaper price. Be sure to ask em about the warranty.

3. Do they really hafta rebuild the tranny? Look up the price of a rebuilt one, and add the price to put it in the car. Might be more than 1200, might not be.

4. Why'd the tranny go out in the first place? And is the tranny really shot? Take it around to other places. If there's more repairs that need to be done that just keep adding up, is it really worth keeping the car.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk