Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
ibititit
AF Newbie

I am building the Revell Visible V8

Hi, I got this as a gift from my son sooooo build this horridly manufactured kit I must. There are many flows in the instructions and how this should be properly assembled. Realistically this kit by Revell is a joke. I mean using epoxy glue and vegetable oil at the same time, duh! I have refigured the proper assembly procedures and it could be of help if anyone is thinking of building this kit. As well I will be adding the spark plugs using LED's and a little circuit I came up with that will flash only 1 LED at a time. This will be hooked to the same speed potentiometer that will control the engine speed so the LED's will appear to be firing in proper order. I would be happy to share images and any info to anyone building or preparing to build one. So just let me know and I will.

Regards,

Ronald
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85-8883-lg.jpg (63.1 KB, 38 views)
ibititit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
MarioT
AF Regular

Re: I am building the Revell Visible V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibititit View Post
Hi, I got this as a gift from my son sooooo build this horridly manufactured kit I must. There are many flows in the instructions and how this should be properly assembled. Realistically this kit by Revell is a joke. I mean using epoxy glue and vegetable oil at the same time, duh! I have refigured the proper assembly procedures and it could be of help if anyone is thinking of building this kit. As well I will be adding the spark plugs using LED's and a little circuit I came up with that will flash only 1 LED at a time. This will be hooked to the same speed potentiometer that will control the engine speed so the LED's will appear to be firing in proper order. I would be happy to share images and any info to anyone building or preparing to build one. So just let me know and I will.

Regards,

Ronald
this is good for school
MarioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Stew-2
AF Newbie

Yeah, I got one a while ago to throw together for fun, and you're right. It is pretty bad.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
ibititit
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioT View Post
this is good for school
Hi Mario, a good point, there is no doubt from an educational perspective this kit does have some value. From the heads down most V8’s haven’t changed since the flathead. So it surely would give one a good idea of how an engine works and it will make an interesting display piece. My older brother built the original Renwall version when I was about 6; man did it look huge, now sadly at 56 the model though still big, has gotten so much smaller.

Regards,

Ronald
Old 02-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
ibititit
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew-2 View Post
Yeah, I got one a while ago to throw together for fun, and you're right. It is pretty bad.
Hi Stew, I checked out your website, thought I might see the Visible V8. I didn't but I did see some real interesting stuff, wow!

Having built one I guess you know and as I, you are wondering why they put so much work into the bottom end and then basicaly from the intake up it's like less than 10 parts. That is where I will have my fun with this kit, kit bashing (if they still use that term) from the intake up. Through much research on the net it has beeen concluded this engine is a 50's 289 Studebacker engine, however that is not the case with all parts. I have yet to find an engine with a fuel pump that runs off the main timing chain as it does in the kit, when I find that I will know then for sure what engine it is.

Regards,

Ronald