Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 03:06 AM   #16
fj4072
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 GMC Jimmy sputtering problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
With the broken ear on the distributor... You can try repairing it, and if it doesn't work, get a distributor that has an aluminum housing, not plastic. Skip White Performance usually has them in stock, part #6671-BK, or at their Ebay store, for around $42. Great price, great part.

Only found 6672-BK on their website, all were for big V8's, cool products though. Looks like they stock WPS distributors...WPS is made in China I found. In the mean time I did find that Napa has a "Distributor repair plate" that's metal for this distributor specifically (Vortec's). U-shaped plate that installs on the bottom. I went this route, being there's nothing wrong with the distributor itself. In retrospect, at the same time I went through this, I had an Autozone starter bad out of the box, and have gone through 3 brake light switches. Have started getting AC Delco or Delphi parts. Thanks again for the help!
fj4072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
TopherTW
AF Newbie

Hey guys. I am having the very same issue with one little addition. My RPM gauge goes haywire while the sputtering occurs and the sputtering is getting pretty significant, to the point of not driving the car unless very short distance and no other option.

I thought maybe it was the fuel filter which I am going to go ahead and change anyway (been way too long) but I am at a loss and cannot afford a mechanic's $75 an hour....

It is a fairly significant jerking of the car that is intermittent and had me thinking maybe bad gas at first as I put some techron fuel additive in it and it went away. It is back now and hot or cold, the car periodically has a seizure...

I am a novice but willing to learn. Any ideas? Thanks so much in advance.

PS- I work on PC's for a living and will happily trade nerd advice for gear head advice. Just putting it out there
TopherTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #18
fj4072
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherTW View Post
Hey guys. I am having the very same issue with one little addition. My RPM gauge goes haywire while the sputtering occurs and the sputtering is getting pretty significant, to the point of not driving the car unless very short distance and no other option.

I thought maybe it was the fuel filter which I am going to go ahead and change anyway (been way too long) but I am at a loss and cannot afford a mechanic's $75 an hour....

It is a fairly significant jerking of the car that is intermittent and had me thinking maybe bad gas at first as I put some techron fuel additive in it and it went away. It is back now and hot or cold, the car periodically has a seizure...

I am a novice but willing to learn. Any ideas? Thanks so much in advance.

PS- I work on PC's for a living and will happily trade nerd advice for gear head advice. Just putting it out there

AC Delco Cap and Rotor are fairly cheap, that's where I'd start. Check engine light? What's the code? My truck was violently jerking prior to switching to AC Delco brand cap and rotor.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #19
metereader
AF Newbie

I too have the same problem as fj4072 had or still haves. I only just registered here, so I may not have acyually found out what his solution was. The only added issue I have in addition is one day while I was driving and the same missing and tachometer swings were going on, suddenly my tach went to zero and the missing stopped. The tach stayed on zero for the rest of the trip and the jimmy ran fine. That may have been a coincidence, but it still happens. Now the tach works sometimes and sometimes not. The missing comes and goe I am been wondering if the connection point of the tach was maybe where the source of both issues lies. I have not replaced the cap and rotor yet, but wonder how that could explain the tach issue.
I am no mechanic except by necessity.
metereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #20
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162320750195/www.ebay.com/
The tach terminal should be marked.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #21
fj4072
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by metereader View Post
I too have the same problem as fj4072 had or still haves. I only just registered here, so I may not have acyually found out what his solution was. The only added issue I have in addition is one day while I was driving and the same missing and tachometer swings were going on, suddenly my tach went to zero and the missing stopped. The tach stayed on zero for the rest of the trip and the jimmy ran fine. That may have been a coincidence, but it still happens. Now the tach works sometimes and sometimes not. The missing comes and goe I am been wondering if the connection point of the tach was maybe where the source of both issues lies. I have not replaced the cap and rotor yet, but wonder how that could explain the tach issue.
I am no mechanic except by necessity.
Two different problems, not related. I really do not know the answer to your tach question, but def, not related to your other problem. AC Delco cap and rotor only my friend.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #22
thesinned
AF Newbie

fj4072 - had the same problem you are describing... drove me nuts, finally tracked it down to the connector for the crank position sensor... Ordered a replacment for the cable, hooked it up and did a Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure, and that took care of the stumbling. good info at this link http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic...17254&start=20
thesinned is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis