Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
skyjack99
AF Newbie

1970 nova not a ss

hi guys, want some advice about a 1970 nova completer restore for sale and the guy wants 30 grand is this to high for this car ? it has a 396 4 speed no power streering and still has points . the car has a nice paint job and underneath is nice!! thx for the help
skyjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 1970 nova not a ss

$30,000 is way too high. Hagerty values a 70 Nova with a concours resto at $24,000. 99% of people don't do concours. Excellent resto is valued at $19,400, and good at $14,900.

The guy sounds like he has his head in the clouds and is trying to get out of it what he has into it. That's not how it works with cars. I doubt even with common sense and proof that his asking price is too high he will want to budge on the price.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Skyjack - Where is this thing? I gotta go see a $30K Nova. My neighbor in Winnebago has one and it's very pretty, but it's not anywhere near a $30K car (and IS an SS).

It seems apparent that the owner doesn't actually want to sell it for some reason.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
skyjack99
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
Skyjack - Where is this thing? I gotta go see a $30K Nova. My neighbor in Winnebago has one and it's very pretty, but it's not anywhere near a $30K car (and IS an SS).

It seems apparent that the owner doesn't actually want to sell it for some reason.
i live in winnebago ill too, but he wont budge so i guess i will move on to a chevelle thx
skyjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Me personally I would go for a Chevelle over a Nova anyway. Was at a car show yesterday and there was a nice black Chevelle SS there. My uncle is one of the coordinators of the show and he had asked me which car I would take, and I said, easy, the black Chevelle over there. He just chuckled and said good choice.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Dave B.
AF Regular

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you folks must not follow any of the big auctions. 1968-1972 Novas, especially big blocks, have been hot for the last couple of years. Here are some examples from Mecum:

1970 SS, 350 4-speed, sold for $39,600 at Kansas City on Dec. 6th https://www.mecum.com/lots/KD1219-40...rolet-nova-ss/

1970 SS, 396 4-speed, bid to $35,000 but did not make reserve at Kansas City on Dec. 6th https://www.mecum.com/lots/KD1219-39...rolet-nova-ss/

1969 SS, 396 4-speed, sold for $44,000 at Las Vegas on Oct. 11th https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1019-38...rolet-nova-ss/

These are just a few – matching numbers 396/375 Novas that are what you’re calling ‘concours’ regularly sell for $60k+. I’ve been in the Nova game since ’66 and have owned several, including the matching numbers ’66 L79 that I still have. The days of picking up a nice hi-po Nova for cheap are long gone.
Dave B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

First, this thread is 3 1/2 years old. Second, a car is only worth what one is willing to pay for it. Cars that were said to be worth 2.5 million have barely brought 1 mil before. It all depends on who is in the room. Third, the cars you listed were all SS. The car in the initial post wasn't a SS.

My last "point" is just that my post about the Chevelle brought a little tear to my eye. The uncle I spoke about in that post past away since this post. He had a huge love of cars and that is a love I still have.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
Dave B.
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
First, this thread is 3 1/2 years old. Second, a car is only worth what one is willing to pay for it. Cars that were said to be worth 2.5 million have barely brought 1 mil before. It all depends on who is in the room. Third, the cars you listed were all SS. The car in the initial post wasn't a SS.

My last "point" is just that my post about the Chevelle brought a little tear to my eye. The uncle I spoke about in that post past away since this post. He had a huge love of cars and that is a love I still have.

Sorry that I missed the date on the initial post. My bad.

Second, if the car he described was an actual restoration of an original 396/4-speed, it would have been an SS - that was the only way the 350/4-bbl and either 396 was available in a 1970 Nova. If it was simply a Nova that had had a big block put in in place of its original engine, it would be worth considerably less.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:40 AM   #9
Dave B.
AF Regular

If you folks liked the previous examples, you'll love this one:
https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-ca.../posting/85507

And yes, there's a very good chance he'll get his asking price, or at least something close to it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova