Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Legnum
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 05:04 AM   #1
dannyrob24
AF Newbie

Question Fuel consumption

Hi there

Wondering if anyone can answer me this one. I recently bought an imported mitsubishi legnum 2.4GDI from Japan, into New Zealand and overall the car is very f**kin cool, but the fuel economy of the car is outrageous i mean I fill the tank 55Litres and I get 380Kms max out of it. Now I have read some info about the high sulphur that we have in New Zealand and that I will need a low sulphur fuel like they have in Japan which is 10-15ppm and in NZ the fuel I have been using is 91octane which has 500+ppm. Does anyone know what the problem is as the garage has checked the car over and says that everything is ok. I have contacted BP and there Ultimate fuel only has 50ppm which is the closest thing to Japanese fuels.

Thanks D
dannyrob24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
nando210
AF Newbie

Hey,

I have a 1997 Galant VRG GDI 1.8 4wd. Im also having fuel problems as well as oil comsuption. What I know is that the air to fuel ratio is way off. Pumps more gas than it should, the gas doesnt burn completely and it sticks to the cylinder and mixes with the oil. Thats the oil consumption problem, as for the gas im still checking the O2 sensor and anything else that might make this problem go away. I have a GDI repair manual in English if you are interested, uf you have any answers or anything that might help me out please let me know. Thanx
nando210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
stustunz
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel consumption

hey where did you get the manual from nando210
they are meant to run lean at cruise but either the fuel is bad or the sensors are wrong in the engine it doesnt seem to work,some people say its cause they get carboned up others say its bad injectors but no one seems to know for sure
personally i think the gdi is a badly designed motor that was released onto the market to soon
but im stuck with mine pitty cause the rest of the car im happy with
does yours sound like a tractor(noisey lifters)
let me know if you had had any help from anyone.
I was going to replace the injectors but at Nz$450 each i changed my mind apparently they dont last this is what might be causing the shudder(running out of gas feeling)mine does it real bad to the point i put a resistor on the temp sensor so it wont go into lean burn at least the car is better to drive also had to put a sensor in for the fan as the car now thinks its running cold
no one knows nothing about these cars in new zealand
cheers stu
stustunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:43 PM   #4
nando210
AF Newbie

Hey Stu, is good to hear from someone that has the same car trouble as me. My car does the same thing, it shudders and sometimes its stalls.
The gas here in Peru is pretty bad 97 oct is the highest one can get.
My lambda sensors are fine... i had them both checked. My injector are fine as well. I think my problem has more to do with what you are talking about. Can you please explain what kind of mods did you do to your sensors??
I got the manual online, its like 11 megs so i cant post it here. Tell me another way. The car is great but i cant stand the engine anymore, i think i might have to sell it soon. Hope to hear from you soon,

Nando
Old 06-23-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
stustunz
AF Newbie

its not the ideal way of solving the problem of the surging
you just cut the wire from the temp sensor on the right hand side of the block under the fuek injector pump i used a variable resistor i cant remember the size it needs to be
then you cut the small wire going to the control unit on the fan and i got a heat switch thing from a plumber mate (goes on a gas heater as a saftey switch i beleive)witch turns the fan on when the radiator hose gets to about 80degC
i had my injectors cleaned and they said they were fine aswell but still think they are at fault cause thats the feeling you get when running out of gas which is what happens if the injectors are stuffed they dont atomise the fuel crroectly which in these is engine i beleive to be very important
have to tried contacting mitsubishi japan or anything regarding thes problems. We cant be the only 2 with this sort of problem i reckon that mitsubishi has alot to answer letting these crap motors out of the factory in the first place and also they say hopw great they are.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
nando210
AF Newbie

ok...so what you are telling me is that the lean burn mode depends on the temp sensor?? how so??
and hows does it help the engine to trick it into thinking is runnig cold.
The carbon build up is bad, i had mine cleaned last month. Does your car burn oil???
Old 06-23-2004, 10:35 PM   #7
stustunz
AF Newbie

ok cause the car thinks its cold it doesnt use the lean burn like when you first strt the car on a cold morning its only once the car is warmed up it goes into the lean burn mode at between 2500 rpm and 3500 rpm from memory .Once the resistor is in place it runs slightly richer i found that the fuel usage actually went down slightly after this i guess cause the car just runs that bit smoother
one other thing is i have hose connected to the intake sucking a small amount of injector cleaner sucking into the intake in the hope it cleans the back of the valave seems to work stops some of the noisey tappets which is also caused by the carbon build up
if i could find where the egr valve was i would block that off aswell but as i dont have a manual i dont want to go pulling the whole engine apart as i need the car everyday i havent done that yet
so if you can send me the page of where that is i would be thankfull you are the first person i have found that has a manual i tried the jerks at the dealership here but cause my car was a used jap import they dont want to help me
Old 06-23-2004, 10:44 PM   #8
stustunz
AF Newbie

the oil yeah it does a little
seems to be better if i use deisel oil
try different brands of oil and different grades some dont seem to be as bad as others
i have never had the head off to clean carbon off only put cleaner into intake
Old 06-24-2004, 07:27 AM   #9
nando210
AF Newbie

OK... i did something like that, i took the termoswitch out, so that the ECU would think that the car is always cold. Didnt work... i had worse mileage. Im going to try your way.
What kind of diesel oil do u use???
UI dont have the site of where i donwloaded the file, maybe we could try MSN??
Old 06-24-2004, 04:03 PM   #10
stustunz
AF Newbie

yip my msn hotmail account is stustunz@hotmail.com
when you cut the wire it would have told the ecu there was a fault did the engine managment light come on one other thing you will have to adjust the throatle position sensor once you have put the resister in series with the temp sensor (i used a resistor wheel to figure it out what resistor to use from a place called dick smith bit like radio shack in america electronics store)took a while to get a place that was right the only problem i have found with doing this is that if you leave the car idling with air con on it will start to hunt,and occastionally idles a bit funny either high or really low.But probabaly would have done strange things like that anyway mitsubishis seem to be bad with engines alround really they always use oil and they always have noisey lifters.the oild i used was just castrol diesel oil (diesel oil has more detergent in it which helps keep it clean and cause these motors seem to dirty the oil very quickly it seems to help a bit.one other thought a car can carbon up from running lean aswell sounds strange but if a car is miss firing from running to lean then the incomplete combustion will cause carbon i dont know weather this is what can cause them to carbon up aswell but i have found the car better to drive since putting in the resistor.I use the car for carrying my work gear arround so it is always loaded up so the miliage is never going to be that good anyway plus been 4wd 1800 is probabaly a bit small for the size of the car.ONe other thing i noticed is that if i use Bp gas i get alot less kms per tank than if i use caltex(texico i think is the same)i get about 500km/50letres of gas no where near what they reckon i should but before i put the resistor in i was probably struggling to get 400-430 sometimes and with the surging it was a piss off to drive
Old 06-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #11
mega
AF Newbie

holly shit, just read this thread and now iknow i'm not alone. I just picked up a used Jap import legnum 1.8 st gdi and after the first few tank fills, i thought, where did all that gas go?...I'm using the bp stuff (91 oct as supplied in NZ) and have been averaging about 380km/55l...shit thats about 13l/100k!!!I get piss poor performance with the poor fuel econ....now i'm wondering how to fix this thing (or just sell it). Was planning to send it into the local mitsi dealer for a service, but now im starting to wonder if they will know whats going on!
I just changed the oil the other night and, shit, the fumes coming off it could almost be that if straight petrol....theres definately something wrong going on here. A manual I hear you say...now that could be interesting reading hint...hint!
mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:07 AM   #12
stustunz
AF Newbie

for a start mega the cars are designed to run on 100octane no sulpur gas which we dont have in new zealand meaning these cars will never run right in NZ using caltex gas high octane helps a little bp gas is the worst out of any.and you are correct in saying taking it to the mitsi dealer wont help they are just dickheads with no idea, id say selling it would be your best bet but depends if you want to wish this on someone else did you buy from a dealer
if so you could try getting your money back cause believe me they just worse
Old 06-25-2004, 08:12 AM   #13
nando210
AF Newbie

You´re right mega.... you´re not alone. I´ve tried everything, mitsi dealer dont know shit, sometimes i thikn i know more than them. I found a buyer for my car, im going to loose some money but i dont want a car thats going to give me trouble. The manual i have is good, but its for the GDI 2.0 engine, it helps a lot actually even though they are not the same displacement. THe basics are the same. You guys have to be very carefull, you cant use bad gas, you can wreck the sensors, gas pumps and injectors. I have a freind that did so and he has his car sitting on his driveway for about 6 months now. THe only thing i have to say...... is SELL......
Old 06-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #14
stustunz
AF Newbie

hey nando got your thing on msn so will chat to you on there when i see you on dont know the time difference so i hope to catch you online soon
Old 06-28-2004, 03:43 PM   #15
mega
AF Newbie

Hi stu/nando

thanks for the replies, the info has been very informative. Just for interest, i had a quick chat to the local mitsi dealer and explained the problem. Their reply was as follows:

"Hate to say this but a tune up won't fix your problem. A rough idea for costs
is $1800.00 for a fuel pump $600.00 for injectors and 1200.00 for a decarb" - (nz dollars)

Some how i think you suspusions on their advice may be correct. They seemed to be treating this matter as a form of income as oppose to servicing their clients. I can tell you one thing, this is my first and probably last mitsi purchase....and i will be sure to share my opinions where ever possible!

I'll give the caltex stuff a go for the mean time and see how i go.

Anyone out there after a cheap mitsi!
mega is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Legnum