Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
faction
AF Newbie

Diesel Engine Debris Q

Hi - So i was helping a friend do an oil change on his 08 f350 superduty, 6 L diesel

As we were pooring the oil we noticed that the sticker on the funnel, which was a probably 1 inch by 2 inch, silicone maybe, was in the funnel and as the funnel filled up swashed into the filler, as we were using 15 40
it was hard to spot. This truck had a canister filter right on top, easy access, we tried getting the small plastic sticker out but it wasnt working to well. I'm just curious what this could cause, it will be driven a little today, does anyone think the oil filter will pick it up? or will it restrict flow if it goes to the oil pump.

Should i just keep checking the oil filter? also the O ring on the filter cap, im curious if it will be bad opening and closing it, should i be changing that each time cap is opened on the canister?
faction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Diesel Engine Debris Q

I am pretty sure that no harm will be done and you do not have to give this issue another thought.

The oil pump pick-up tube has a big metal screen on it, to filter out big pieces of debris. Chances are, unless it floats on top of the oil, it will become sucked against the screen and stay there. This screen is made to be big, so it can tolerate a fair amount of debris on it without impeding flow.
Unless the sticker dissolves or gets shredded into tiny pieces, it will never get to the oil filter. If it is shredded, the filter will get it, with no harm done and no flow impedance.

Possibly it may float around the oil pan until the next oil change. If you are really concerned, drain the new engine oil into a really clean bucket. The sticker may float out in the oil. You can remove it, then put the oil back in the engine.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical