Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
View Poll Results: Which Nissan for first car???
1988 300ZX Turbo 2+2 0 0%
1990 300ZX Twin Turbo 0 0%
1989 240SX 0 0%
Any SE-R 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 05:32 PM   #1
revjunkie
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to revjunkie
Talking Z31 vs. Z32

I'm 18, college bound, carless and nearly broke. I want a car and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Z car or at least some other sporty Nissan. I'm just curious to what actual Z owners would recommend for my first car. I want to spend around 7K. I've found pretty clean Z32 TT's for 6.5K and Z31 2+2 Turbo's for under 3K. Whichever I get, it WILL NOT stay stock for long. I know all about 90+ Z's so I know what to expect when buying a high mileage unit but I know virtually nothing about Z31's. Are there any reliablity probs I should be worried about?? Can anyone give me estimates on insurance for both?? Pros and cons of each model?? Does any one know how much the 2+2 Turbo weighs?? Thanks in advance.
revjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 11:56 PM   #2
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR
I say Z32 TT...hopefully you wont kill yourself...it's a fast car...not saying you cant handle it...but it might be better for you to get a slower car and you can work your way up the ladder so that way you things to look forward to and can improve your skills on slower cars and hence gain a true appreciation for them.

I had 240SX b4 my NA Z. Maybe down the lines...I'll get something faster like a turbo car or something else faster than what I got now...only time and the future will tell.

:bandit:

NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 12:04 AM   #3
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

One thing to consider... I know the early fuel injected Zs would start leaking fuel from the injectors after a while... not sure about the early 300zx models tho...

Personally, I like the straight six in my Z, but I would give it up in a second for a clean twin turbo Z32

The one benefit of having an older Z is most people don't expect ya to be too quick, so if ya mod it up, you can sorta have a sleeper *shrugs*

-Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:04 PM   #4
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
I'm a big fan of late-'80s styling , so I'm partial to the Z31 for looks. Not that the Z32 is a slouch.. but, you know....
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 01:09 AM   #5
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by jay@af
I'm a big fan of late-'80s styling , so I'm partial to the Z31 for looks. Not that the Z32 is a slouch.. but, you know....
I know what you mean jay, walking into work today, I saw a 50th anniversary 300zx (z31) turbo... it was beautiful

I like how fast the z32 300zxtt's are, but I honestly think the z31's are more attractive... of course a 240z puts em all to shame

-Grendel
Old 05-20-2002, 03:40 PM   #6
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonZX
I am a z32 lover so you know where I'm going. I own one! I love it, fast, sexy, and drives like a dream. All I can say is drive them all, and pick what you like the most!

R.I.P. "Mama (my Z)" . . . But now we have the VR-4 #683/2000
"Dude, You fucking passed the test, but just barely, wanna know what you got?...F+......CLICK!"
-Tenacious D(Jack BLack)-
"Official Moron Crew Founder!"
DemonZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 10:49 AM   #7
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ
I've had a 2+2 (non turbo only in the U.S. ) for about 2 years. I love it. Awesome car...no problems what so ever except the alternator went out once. I changed it myself. No big deal. I'm ready to upgrade to a faster car with more mod. options. I really want a Z32TT. You can't do as much with an NA as you can with a turbo. I love turbos. The Z31's are simple in comparison to the Z32. Both are able to be worked on, but the Z32 is pretty complex...no distributor cap...kinda weird. I absolutly adore the Z31's and Z32's. If you can find one, get an 88 SS. Those are so Phat. It's kinda tricky to find a REAL one (I found one on www.autotrader.com with only 6000 miles on it!!!), but if you have any questions, lemme know. I'm a major Z man...specially when it comes to Z31s.

P.S. I know we have people from all over the world here...anyone ever hear of a 200ZR? Looks kinda like an 87-89 300ZX but it has an engine similar to the Skyline. Inline 6 turbo charged intercooled. Anyone know anything, lemme know. I WANT ONE.
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 10:43 AM   #8
revjunkie
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by longlivetheZ
I've had a 2+2 (non turbo only in the U.S. ) for about 2 years. I love it. Awesome car...no problems what so ever except the alternator went out once. I changed it myself. No big deal. I'm ready to upgrade to a faster car with more mod. options. I really want a Z32TT. You can't do as much with an NA as you can with a turbo. I love turbos. The Z31's are simple in comparison to the Z32. Both are able to be worked on, but the Z32 is pretty complex...no distributor cap...kinda weird. I absolutly adore the Z31's and Z32's. If you can find one, get an 88 SS. Those are so Phat. It's kinda tricky to find a REAL one (I found one on www.autotrader.com with only 6000 miles on it!!!), but if you have any questions, lemme know. I'm a major Z man...specially when it comes to Z31s.

P.S. I know we have people from all over the world here...anyone ever hear of a 200ZR? Looks kinda like an 87-89 300ZX but it has an engine similar to the Skyline. Inline 6 turbo charged intercooled. Anyone know anything, lemme know. I WANT ONE.
Yeah it had a rb20det in it some models came from the factory w/o a/c power windows ect for the weight savings, I think they also had a suspension package.

Anyway thanks for the replies I'm looking at getting the Z31 Turbo and making it a mild sleeper I just have to get my money together and find a clean one. Thanks! and I promise not to rice it out
Old 05-31-2002, 11:30 PM   #9
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by revjunkie

Yeah it had a rb20det in it some models came from the factory w/o a/c power windows ect for the weight savings, I think they also had a suspension package.

Anyway thanks for the replies I'm looking at getting the Z31 Turbo and making it a mild sleeper I just have to get my money together and find a clean one. Thanks! and I promise not to rice it out
I think its pretty hard to "rice" out an older Z... Z32 300zx's are easy to make look ricey because of all the bodykits available, but there really arent that many kits for older Z's

Thank god that the few kits made for older Z's are subtle, and not hideous like some of the Z32 kits...

What are you planning on doing to your Z?

-Grendel
Old 06-01-2002, 12:33 PM   #10
revjunkie
AF Newbie

Quote:
What are you planning on doing to your Z?
Exaust, downpipe, high flow cat, upgraded turbo (HKS gt3037??), SR20 TB, JWT injectors and ECU, fuel computer(HKS or Apexi), boost controller, turbo timer, maybe some porting. What do ya think??
Old 06-01-2002, 10:14 PM   #11
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

Exaust, downpipe, high flow cat, upgraded turbo (HKS gt3037??), SR20 TB, JWT injectors and ECU, fuel computer(HKS or Apexi), boost controller, turbo timer, maybe some porting. What do ya think??
Sounds good... I didn't see an intercooler on there... ya gonna add one?

When I rebuild my 280zxt motor, I'm probably going to rebuild it to stock specs... or at least the bottom end (i heard it can take 300-400 hp no problem)

I'll probably re-use my current turbo/injectors/etc till i get some spare cash, then I'll buy an intercooler, bigger turbo/injectors, lightened flywheel, better clutch, etc

I'm trying to find a good condition 240z that needs a motor, and swap in mine

Oh yea... about you porting your motor... I head that datsun/nissan designed the Z motors so they had optimal flow or something, and changing the bore/stroke, and porting it wouldn't do much... not sure how true that is tho... heard anything about this?

Nice to see some fellow Z nuts on here...

-Grendel
Old 06-02-2002, 09:16 AM   #12
revjunkie
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Grendel

Sounds good... I didn't see an intercooler on there... ya gonna add one?

When I rebuild my 280zxt motor, I'm probably going to rebuild it to stock specs... or at least the bottom end (i heard it can take 300-400 hp no problem)

I'll probably re-use my current turbo/injectors/etc till i get some spare cash, then I'll buy an intercooler, bigger turbo/injectors, lightened flywheel, better clutch, etc

I'm trying to find a good condition 240z that needs a motor, and swap in mine

Oh yea... about you porting your motor... I head that datsun/nissan designed the Z motors so they had optimal flow or something, and changing the bore/stroke, and porting it wouldn't do much... not sure how true that is tho... heard anything about this?

Nice to see some fellow Z nuts on here...

-Grendel

Yeah I forgot to put an I/C in the list as well as new a stronger clutch. And yeah I've heard of the Nissan "Maximum displacement" theory of building engines. I'll probably skip the porting then b/c I keep hearing this too. I found an '88 Z31 SS for 2K they guy selling if has no idea how valuable that model actually is it needs a little ork but it's mostly just the cosmetic stuff body is in geat shape just needs painting and small stuff. I need a job real fast...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z31 ss.jpg (26.5 KB, 389 views)
Old 06-03-2002, 01:12 AM   #13
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

Yeah I forgot to put an I/C in the list as well as new a stronger clutch. And yeah I've heard of the Nissan "Maximum displacement" theory of building engines. I'll probably skip the porting then b/c I keep hearing this too. I found an '88 Z31 SS for 2K they guy selling if has no idea how valuable that model actually is it needs a little ork but it's mostly just the cosmetic stuff body is in geat shape just needs painting and small stuff. I need a job real fast...
What are the stats on a SS model? Higher hp or something?

2k sounds like a good deal... how many miles are on it? My Z was $950, but needed new injectors, and a new catalitic converter to pass smog... that was like another 900

I'm not sure if I wanna keep my Z... everytime I drive it, I find something new wrong... clutch going bad, tons of squeaks, blown suspension, interior is in good condition but its ugly, needs paint, has a goofy ass digital dash which i hate, is heavy, etc...

not really major problems, but if i got a 240z, there would be a bigger aftermarket, and they are a lot lighter...

I think I want a 1970 240 z if i can find one in good condition (no rust) for cheap...

-Grendel
Old 06-03-2002, 10:14 AM   #14
revjunkie
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Grendel

What are the stats on a SS model? Higher hp or something?

2k sounds like a good deal... how many miles are on it? My Z was $950, but needed new injectors, and a new catalitic converter to pass smog... that was like another 900

I'm not sure if I wanna keep my Z... everytime I drive it, I find something new wrong... clutch going bad, tons of squeaks, blown suspension, interior is in good condition but its ugly, needs paint, has a goofy ass digital dash which i hate, is heavy, etc...

not really major problems, but if i got a 240z, there would be a bigger aftermarket, and they are a lot lighter...

I think I want a 1970 240 z if i can find one in good condition (no rust) for cheap...

-Grendel
The SS model had:
No options; all are identical
- 1000 made between 1/88 and 3/88
- part of "Nissan White Sale"
- VG30ET engine
- BW T-5 manual transmission
- Viscous LSD
- two-seater
- T-tops
- black interior
- cloth Recaro seats
- exclusive Pearl White paint (returned as a regular option for '89)
- exclusive white 16" wheels
- exclusive "European" air dam
- Analog dash
- AM/FM cassette
- non-adjustable suspension, very tight
- regular climate controls (sliders)
- priced $1000 over "normal" Turbo Z
I don't know the milaeg on the car but if it's too hig I'll be replacing the engine anyway along with a few goodies. I know how you feel I can't find a decent or cheap 240z either.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:36 PM   #15
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

The SS model had:
No options; all are identical
- 1000 made between 1/88 and 3/88
- part of "Nissan White Sale"
- VG30ET engine
- BW T-5 manual transmission
- Viscous LSD
- two-seater
- T-tops
- black interior
- cloth Recaro seats
- exclusive Pearl White paint (returned as a regular option for '89)
- exclusive white 16" wheels
- exclusive "European" air dam
- Analog dash
- AM/FM cassette
- non-adjustable suspension, very tight
- regular climate controls (sliders)
- priced $1000 over "normal" Turbo Z
I don't know the milaeg on the car but if it's too hig I'll be replacing the engine anyway along with a few goodies. I know how you feel I can't find a decent or cheap 240z either.
Sounds bad ass, was that with the straight 6, or a v6?

-Grendel