Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Ultimate Engine Swap: Final Version!

Every now and then... but alot more often now I'm seeing threads about: Can I swap this? What about this? Am I right about this, guys?

RB25DET/RB26DETT in a Z32:

Do-able... but ask yourself at what cost? This swap would probably be the most expensive considering that RB's are rare and parts are scarce and expensive. Of course you need the donors ECU and harness. Alot of custom electrical work to get the speedo and what ever other electronics to work. I have heard/read of people using RB26 engine and RB25 tranny. Some people retain the RB26 tranny and disable the AWD system. Keeping and converting the AWD system to the Z32 would cost $$$ but it has been done. I hope most people even considering this swap are at least NA VG30DE guys. Dropping displacement is a waste IMO. A VG30DETT is capable of mass power equal to a RB. Swapping in a RB25 is waste IMO also. Dropping displacement by a half and power? I would rather go with a RB26 or VG30DETT swap. There are adavantages to a straight six RB26DETT however... more room for a single big turbo for faster HP.

SR20DET in a Z32:

Seems the SR swap is not limited to 240SX's any-more nowadays. A drop of displacement and two cylinders! A total waste IMO. The only adavantage I can think of is for some-one doing circut or auto-X racing or drifting since this swap would place the motor way back into the engine bay giving the Z a front mid-ship feel. Another advantage would be that SR's are becoming a norm out here in the States and parts are becoming available and shops are becoming familiar with them. However, a stock SR puts out 200-250 HP stock... imagine that lil' 4-banger hauling aroud a boat like the Z32! Go with a black top at least.

LS1 in a Z32:

Detroit Muscle in a Z? Whatever floats your boat. Gobs of HP can be put out by this 5.7 liter V-8. As far as I have been told it's the ultimate swap while staying NA... if you want... drop in a supercharger or custom twin turbo. Big aftermarket for related engine parts is a big plus. Don't hold me to it but I thought some-one was making a kit for this swap...

RB20DET/RB25DET/RB26DETT in a Z31:

Pretty easy swap since the Z31 came with the RB series (RB20DET) in certain trims across the globe. Once again. This swap may require alotta $$$. See "RB in Z32". Parts are much scarcer when it comes to the RB20. If at all possible source a clip from a Z31 200ZR in Japan.

RB engines in S30-S130:

This has to be my favorite swap... small/light Ol' School Z with a monster RB!!! Once again it comes down on how much $$$ you can spend. RB's are hard to come by and so are their parts! Not sure how difficult it is to swap one in... but I imagine it would be easy getting her in since straight sixes come stock in these ol' timers... once again wiring harness and ECU's are required (as with all these swaps!). That has got to be a hassle! But once you are done... well you guys do the math. One more time... RB26's can bolt into RB25 trannies with some customization. Other custom set-ups are also available. Think GM TH400 with custom mounting plate. $$$

SR20DET in S30-S130:

Another swap becoming very popular. Again... a loss in displacement and two cylinders... but this time turbo power makes up for that. Advantages? Makes more power than a stock NA L24, L26, L28. Plus it sits way back in the engine bay improving driving feel! great for Circut racers, etc. Parts are becoming readily availabe in the USA.

SBC/Ford 302's/Other Domestic Engines in S30-S130:

Probably the easiest and cheapest swap listed. This widely accepted swap is available as a kit by alot of companies. Not sure if weight distribution would be disturbed... but I can only imagine. Maybe some-one can enlighten us? I see this swap being done by someone wanting a mean light and powerful drag car personally. Advantages: Little wiring needed most of the time. No ECU's to worry about if you are using older engines. Aftermarket parts are readily availble. Gobs of power potential!

Simple Swaps?

VG30DE powered Z32 to VG30DETT:

A common swap nowadays. NA Z32's are plentiful... maybe you got a really good deal on your NA... maybe there is sentimental value... maybe you have one of the rarer Z32's like 2+2, Slick-Top, or Convertible that was never offered in TT trim here in the States. For whatever reason you want to do the swap I hope you know that just buying a TT equipped Z32. Don' try to 'turbo' your NA... the high-compression of a VG30DE + Turbo = Dead engine. The NA diiferntial has better gearing so that is a big plus when you add a TT engine. Check out the TT swap Sticky.

L24E/L26E powered S30 to L28E(T):

Another common swap. The higher displacement equals more HP plus with a L28ET you have turbo power! Relatively easy swap since the L series engines are relatively the same... great swap if you wanna stick to your Z roots.

Those are the main swaps I can think of... I'll leave more elaborate swaps such as the VH swaps to you guys!

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105

Last edited by 1viadrft; 08-13-2005 at 08:50 AM.
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: Ultimate Engine Swap: Final Version!

very good write-up. i still say stick with the VG30DETT.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Send a message via AIM to ZedEx

I'm with Jared on this one... But with any car, the possibilities are ENDLESS. I've seen Viper V-10's in Acura Integras, Mid-Engine Honda CRX (We're actually working on one right now).

If you have the money, the tools, the mechanical inclination, and the money (Did I say that already?)... Then anything's possible.

I still say stick with the VG30DETT... A single plenum design would be nice though

-Wes
-2000 PY Acura Integra Type-R #686 - WhoRe
-1997 EGP Honda Prelude Type-SH - Daily driver

R.I.P Hypsi87:Andy Filson
ZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

By the way... My buddy Blake has done many LS-1, SBC, various V8 swaps into Zed32's... I'll post pictures up soon.

-Wes

Old 08-13-2005, 12:24 AM   #5
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Figured this could be useful for all those asking about different swaps... I agree with the VG for any street Z32. But for a drag Z32... I would love to go RB like Joel's (Red Z32 pictured above with RB26 and single-large turbo).

I will add more to this. Sticky anyone? Please anyone: If you have something to add or if i missed something... please ADD!

As for single plenum VG in a Z32, Wes:

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
Old 08-13-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

That's exactly what I was speaking of

... Here's the plan. For about a year now, I've been stashing away 10% of everything I earn (Or more if I feel that i can) into an account (Account meaning a small Cigar Box in my room somewhere ). The idea is, by 2015, I will have enough money to import a nasty 1990 Skyline GTR.

I haven't counted in the past 3months, but in May I had $1,650... So I'm sure I have an excess of $2,000 by now. And believe me, it's awfully tempting to spend it all.

But the idea is this, when the time comes, I want to fly down to Z1Motorsports... Give them my plans for my perfect Zed32, give them a fat wad of Cash... and tell them I want something in 3months.

The major expense is going to be the Single Plenum they'll have to find or design. Not to mention the Single Turbocharger Exhaust Manifold, with GT85R Turbocharger slapped on. Everything else will be nothing they can't handle.

That's my goal for the next 10 years

Sorry to stray so far off topic, the picture of the Single Plenum sparked some old dreams that I've forgotten about lately.

-Wes

Old 08-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
lost
AF Newbie

vh45de(tt) is always a cost effecient,powerful option.1st gen q45s are cheap.
450zxtt
vh45dett power,baby.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:17 AM   #8
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

i just saw this over at 300zxclub.com and i thought i would share it.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #9
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Yeah... saw that too. Sweet. I wonder what kinda internal work if any he's got going there... what kinda tranny too.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:36 PM   #10
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

I'd imagine RB25DET Transmission... That's the common route to go with those swaps. God I would love to have an RB26DETT powered Zed32.

Having the Zed's sweet lines, and an engine that you can actually work on. Can life get any better? I submit it can not

-Wes

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)