Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
The Ride
AF Newbie

Question Transmission gear oil

Are there any old thread topics about transmission gear oil? If not does anyone have any preference or suggestions?
The Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:55 PM   #2
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
redline makes the best fluids for your car. manual: mt-90(??)
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
The Ride
AF Newbie

Re: Transmission gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3smostwanted
redline makes the best fluids for your car. manual: mt-90(??)
I had my 87 Z serviced at a certified lube center. They put in the factory recomended rear gear and transmission oil . They over-filled the transmission and it started to smell like a Z will smell when that happens. I took it back and they pulled the side plug and sure enough it was to high, the oil was pouring out. The Z drove smoothly after wards but later I start to here little slips and squels from the trans. Is it possible that the oil expands when its hot and cause this, or are 87 trans. tempermental when it comes to gear oil?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:37 PM   #4
The Ride
AF Newbie

What is the likely result of over filling an manual transmission?
Old 11-13-2004, 12:28 AM   #5
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ
Re: Re: Transmission gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ride
They over-filled the transmission and it started to smell like a Z will smell when that happens.
lol

I don't see how over filling it could cause trouble, but hell...I dunno...

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 02:25 AM   #6
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

yes, overfilling your tranny fluid is a big no-no, especially in auto. dont ask me why because i have no clue. all as i know is that you dont do it because it causes damage. i think you found that out the hard way. take it back to the shop and demand they fix it. they have insurance for those kinds of things.

story: my buddy gets his oil changed every 3,000 miles at the local jiffy lube. i dont trust anybody with my cars so i change the oil by myself. also, at this particular jiffy lube i know half of these guys personally, they are bunch of slobbering idiots. well anyways, my friend takes his car there, gets an oil change. the stupid bastards didnt tighten the drain nut all the way. so, yeah, it rattled loose about half way home. engine is fried. well, the good ole jiffy lube paid out a big chunk of change for a new motor. idiots i tell you...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-13-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
probehtr300
AF Enthusiast

nice, yeah ive heard ledline is awesome..so the other day i was at advanced auto getting a foglamp bulb, and i was lookin for some MT redline fluid and thay dont have it, neither did nappa, what the hell, and quick question, how do you guys put fluid in your trannys ????

Past Z Car Crew

-josh
probehtr300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:53 PM   #8
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

through the dipstick hole...by your self a long tube funnel or make one out of a milk jug and some piping. when i changed my tranny fluid, i dropped the pan and then measured how much fluid came out by pouring it into and empty coolant jug. it came out to be like 3 1/2 quarts. so i poured in about 3 quarts and then i start pouring in just a little bit at a time after checkig it with the dipstick the whole time.

BTW: i have heard manual tranny fluid taking away some grinds and scratches.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-13-2004, 07:15 PM   #9
probehtr300
AF Enthusiast

lol thats awesome, thats exactly how i measured how much fluid to use, and i filled it in the dipstick shaft too, cool, now i just need to find a place that carries that redline fluid

Past Z Car Crew

-josh
probehtr300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #10
The Ride
AF Newbie

Thanks Most Wanted and Long Live The Z, For the info. Here is what I have found out. I went to see a mechanic friend who normally builds v8's for drag he check out my car. He determined that by over filling the trans. oil, when the trans warms up the oil expands more and having nowhere to go it forces out the front shaft seal and gets on the clutch which explains the smell. The ultimate consequince will be clutch failure "Damm" so needless to say I'll be paying the lube guy's one more visit.
The Ride

Ps. your write if you want it done right you better off doing it yourself.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:54 PM   #11
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Trust me and you mechanic friend on this, if you could smell burnt trans fluid then it's just a matter of time till your clutch goes. It might work fine now but it's just a matter of time. Don't let them give you any shit and make them replace the front and rear seal on your transmission along with a new clutch disk, and the best money can buy. If they give you any crap PM me and I'll give you some ways you can get them to pay.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 07:12 PM   #12
The Ride
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgringo
Trust me and you mechanic friend on this, if you could smell burnt trans fluid then it's just a matter of time till your clutch goes. It might work fine now but it's just a matter of time. Don't let them give you any shit and make them replace the front and rear seal on your transmission along with a new clutch disk, and the best money can buy. If they give you any crap PM me and I'll give you some ways you can get them to pay.
Thanks for the follow up Zgringo. I would appreciate any tips you have in helping me to persuade (The Lube Dude's) located at Decatur Pike, in Athens TN. 37303. I went by in to talked to the manager, he tried to say well it's used and has some miles on it. I quickly poped open the brief case which came with my one owner 87Z and promptly showed him all the servicing and repair reports for my Z since 1987. No resolve.

My son spoke with his shop teacher who races RX'8s in the SCCA.
He informed my son that he was very familiar with the 5 spd. Z trans.
and has built many because they are real good trans. but if they are overfilled they are ruined. The bearings will burn up because of the extra friction, the shop teacher went on to explain basically every thing that i had experienced with my trans. he even new that it would only go into fourth gear. He explained; that this is because 4th is the direct line gear in the trans. all others are extensions which are ingaged by the cluster or input shaft.
Now I just need to figure out my next step?

Any Ideas?
Old 11-20-2004, 07:37 PM   #13
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Transmission gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ride
Thanks for the follow up Zgringo. I would appreciate any tips you have in helping me to persuade (The Lube Dude's) located at Decatur Pike, in Athens TN. 37303. I went by in to talked to the manager, he tried to say well it's used and has some miles on it. I quickly poped open the brief case which came with my one owner 87Z and promptly showed him all the servicing and repair reports for my Z since 1987. No resolve.

My son spoke with his shop teacher who races RX'8s in the SCCA.
He informed my son that he was very familiar with the 5 spd. Z trans.
and has built many because they are real good trans. but if they are overfilled they are ruined. The bearings will burn up because of the extra friction, the shop teacher went on to explain basically every thing that i had experienced with my trans. he even new that it would only go into fourth gear. He explained; that this is because 4th is the direct line gear in the trans. all others are extensions which are ingaged by the cluster or input shaft.
Now I just need to figure out my next step?

Any Ideas?
OK, get a short letter from the school shop teacher then find the dirtest, rotten, meanest, baddest no good attorney and give him $25 to send Lube Dude's a letter quoting the statement made by a EXPERT on this car, also advise them a copy of the letter well be turned over to the local newspaper. Give them 10 days to respond, then we'll go to step two.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:47 PM   #14
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Transmission gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgringo
Give them 10 days to respond, then we'll go to step two.
Broke_as_****: *thinking of this*

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:05 PM   #15
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Transmission gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_as_****
Broke_as_****: *thinking of this*

Broke your mean, but effective, I like your style.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)