Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

Looking For Slow(er) Curing Resin

As the title suggests, I've managed to build molds and make some parts using supplies from local sources. I'm at an impass however. The only resin I've found here in Austin (Alumilite) starts to kick off in about 30 to 45 seconds. I barely have time to mix it before it starts reacting. Also, resin has a shelf life so I'd like to be able to buy it a quart at a time (If I bought a gallon 80% would go bad before I used it.)

I was reading Dag65's tutorial and in it he mentioned 7 minutes till kickoff! Thats luxury....
Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Re: Looking For Slow(er) Curing Resin

Alumilite (the resin they sell modelers in hobby shops) is garbage. Just because it's the only set that gets sold in LHS doesn't make it the best.

There are tons of alternatives; even by Alumilite...but you won't see the slower-curing resin at your Hobbytown or Hobby Lobby.

Try Smooth On...give the Engineer Guy website a look, or call them. Resin formulas are plentiful.

Smooth Cast 300/320 series are both excellent. You can get starter kits for about $26 plus shipping. Take some time to read about pot life; their 3 min. stuff is far superior to the Alumilite stuff that starts to kick in under a minute.
CrateCruncher (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

What about Micromark's product?
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVC500 View Post
What about Micromark's product?
IIRC it is rebranded/repackaged/made for them by Smooth On.

The main thing to look for are pot life above 3 minutes. 7 minute is great, but not for production...but for a hobbyist it might be the best, the slower the cure, the better chance is that bubbles are eliminated, whether pressure cast or not. The Alumilite resin sold widely rarely has a pot life of a minute. It is just too fast...and the shelf life of resin is short, which doesn't help.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
p9o1r1sche

I have had this issue and I put the part B in the refrigerator for a half hour before using.
p9o1r1sche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5 View Post
Try Smooth On...give the Engineer Guy website a look, or call them. Resin formulas are plentiful.
Agreed, Smooth On is a high quality product.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

I ran into this problem myself and got some of the micromark CR-600 (although its a 30-60min demold). I like it, its comparable to aluminite. The only complaint i have about it is it seems more rubbery than aluminte stuff. Also i prefer the yellow looking resin and the CR-600 when cured is white. Does the trick though.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Plumberboy
AF Newbie

http://www.smooth-on.com/specs_list.php?type=1
http://www.smooth-on.com/tb/files/TASK_8_-_TB.pdf

Go to the link above. I was using the 300 but I switched to the task 8. Once task 8 is cured it becomes pretty much chemical proof. You can take the mold with the part in it and put it through a series of tempering steps and it will take 263 degree temps. I don't do this though. When a cured task 8 body is dropped on a table it sounds more like a styrene part. The 300 sounds dead and does not take very hot water to make it get soft. I live in Arizona and I have solar hot water panels on my roof. I can get 150 degree water out of my faucets. This temp does not make the task 8 give any out of a mold once cured.
Look up Reynolds Advanced Materials in Hollywood CA and talk to Glen.

Here is some of my resin work: http://smcbofphx.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rs
Jump to page 2 and start reading the bottom entry. Also join our forum, it's free to see.

Last edited by Plumberboy; 05-03-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Plumberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Ettore
AF Regular

Go to The Engineer Guy website and talk to Nelson or Sarah. They both know resins and casing rubber. I use Smoothon Task 2. 7 minute potlife and 60 minute demold time. Bought it a year ago, it's still in good condition.
Ettore is offline   Reply With Quote