Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hummer (AM General) > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 06:55 PM   #1
DuckTapeDancer
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to DuckTapeDancer Send a message via AIM to DuckTapeDancer Send a message via MSN to DuckTapeDancer Send a message via Yahoo to DuckTapeDancer
Amx

i want to get an amc amx in the summer of '05. i want to tear it down and build it back up (with my father) in an attempt to learn more about cars. i was thinking of trying to find either a '70 amx w/390 or a '71 javelin amx w/401. i figure i will probably spend $5grand on just purchasing it. does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, comments, or corrections of misconceptions i may have?

also, if anyone ever hears on a '68 SC Rambler for sale, LET ME KNOW
Old 05-08-2004, 06:56 PM   #2
TEXAS-HOTROD
AF Regular

Re: Amx

I found a Javelin (of all things) a while back w/a 401. It all looked complete but rusted terribly. It could probably be (painfully) restored but the question is how much work do you want to go through?
Those are bad-ass, and rare.
The last I heard, the guy went to Minnesota. If you are interested, I can scope it out for you.
---TEX---
Old 03-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
amceagle
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to amceagle
Lightbulb amx

your best bet for finding one that isn't too rough but easile restored go on to ebay i saw a few with the 390 going going for about 3 to 4 grand and just needed some tlc. thats where i have been looking for another eagle wagon.
amceagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:21 AM   #4
VAD0R
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to VAD0R Send a message via AIM to VAD0R
Re: Re: Amx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS-HOTROD
I found a Javelin (of all things) a while back w/a 401. It all looked complete but rusted terribly. It could probably be (painfully) restored but the question is how much work do you want to go through?
Those are bad-ass, and rare.
The last I heard, the guy went to Minnesota. If you are interested, I can scope it out for you.
---TEX---
Did you realize what you came across? Actually to tell you the truth I wouldn't of known if it wasn't for that new History Channel show with Goldberg.

But I think it is either one of those AMC Javelins that was used as a police interceptor which were fit with 401s, improved suspension as well as a slew of other things. It is able to go toe to toe with even the likes of the GTO Judge, at least according to that documentary.

Either that or it was a standard AMC Javelin that was later retrofitted with a 401 block engine.

Btw, Javelin have to be one of my favorite pony cars of the late 60s and early 70s, as well I think the AMX looks cool too. I remember when I went to the MVS (the renamed DMV of NJ) I saw a bright green one with a black racing stripe parked outside, there was also a line that went outside and around the building, but the AMX was the main highlight of that day.
VAD0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
TEXAS-HOTROD
AF Regular

Re: Amx

I scored a deal w/the owner, chained a tractor to the car and pulled it out of it's resting place. It was in a flood a few years ago when the creek came up, so it was buried pretty good. I could see the imprint of where the floors were resting in the sand, the tires were flat and all the brakes were rusted to the drums. I had a wrecker tow it to the shop to save the hassle of getting it up on a trailer.

It's in bad shape, but not as bad as I first thought. I got the hood up to see exactly what it has, it's a 360 w/a Torque flite. No water in the engine/tranny and almost 100% complete. I got the wheels to turn and started cleaning mud from everywhere.
I think I'll get it up and running before I do anything else to my Camaro. I see Camaros everywhere at the local hang-outs, I have yet seen only one Javelin. I love how it looks.
It'll be pretty cool when it's all said and done (easier said than done).
TEXAS-HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote