Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
lmattiso
AF Newbie

Exhaust smoke

I was wondering how you could tell the difference between smoke from blow by and smoke from a cracked head/head gasket?

Some history, the other day the battery was dead so I jumped it and left it running in the carport to charge up the battery. 4 hours later I remembered the car was still running! There was a lot of smoke in the carport but the car was running fine, no overheating that I can tell.

I ran it today and it seemed fine but there is much more smoke than I ever noticed before (there always had been a little, the bumper would get blackened over time). Does it sound like I warped the head gasket or cracked the head? It drives fine and couldn't see any milky residue in the oil. I'm pulling the plugs tomorrow to see if there's any water in there. The overflow level is fine but I haven't checked the radiator yet.

It's a 98 6cyl auto with 171k miles on it. Not sure the maintenance history but I have changed the thermostat and replaced most of the coolant within the last 6 months. It's always consumed ALOT of oil (probably a quart every 500 miles) but also has some oil leaks.

Thanks,

Larry
lmattiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Exhaust smoke

danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
lmattiso
AF Newbie

Re: Exhaust smoke

Thanks danielsatur, I'll sniff around the coolant to see if it smells like exhaust. I'm just curious if I've worsened an already existing problem (the oil use) or if I started another one by messing up the head/head gasket. I've got an appt Wed to take it to the shop.

I've cracked a head before in my old 240 but it was a lot different. Loss of power and billowing white smoke. This seems more like an oil problem but I'm curious why running the car for a few hours would cause it.

Thanks,

Larry
lmattiso is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
exhaust , smoke
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU