Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Pacifica
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
tbuckit1
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tbuckit1
Rear power hatch won't open

The rear power hatch on my '05 Pacifica unlatches and then opens a few inches and then closes and latches back. If it is open, it will close all the way and latch.

It's almost like the safety switch is malfunctioning, as if the gate came in contact with an object while opening and reverses and closes. I've been playing with the switch on the gate and can't get it to do what it should. I finally gave up and put it back where it was.

Anyone have any input on this?? It would be appreciated.

T
Old 03-07-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
onelow_mazda
AF Newbie

Re: Rear power hatch won't open

First, a couple of questions. 1. Are you using the remote or the swithc on the overhead console or 2. Are you actually trying to physically open the rear hatch from the outside? If #1., then there could be a malfunction of a switch or the motor mechanism that moves it up and down. Gravity alone would be enough to bring the door down on it's own but if the motor mechanism is bad, it won't go up at all. If #2., then it never will work that way because Chrysler designed it not to do so. I read the owner's manual about this and that is what is said. Both the remote and the switch on the overhead console works but you can only open the door manually from the outside. I can only assume it has something to do with a safety issue. Why Chrysler did it that way, I only wish I knew.
onelow_mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
tbuckit1
AF Regular

Opening and closing the hatch manually is no problem. And if you open it manually, it will power itself closed and latch, just as it should. It's only when you try to 'power' it open, that it opens a few inches and then closes back.

Like I said before, it acts like it starts to open and then encounters an obstacle and closes back.

The motor operates fine and the track is clear. I'm sure there is some type of adjustment, I just haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks for the reply though.

T
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuckit1
Opening and closing the hatch manually is no problem. And if you open it manually, it will power itself closed and latch, just as it should. It's only when you try to 'power' it open, that it opens a few inches and then closes back.

Like I said before, it acts like it starts to open and then encounters an obstacle and closes back.

The motor operates fine and the track is clear. I'm sure there is some type of adjustment, I just haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks for the reply though.

T
Hi
I looked through my factory repair manual. The liftgate upward motion is monitored by an optical sensor on the lift motor itself. As described I believe it can "see" the movement of the motor, and if not at the right speed i.e. slowed by something it will reverse the motor (I have functionally tested mine on the garage door DOH! ). The gate also has "pinch sensors" along the jamb said to look like weather stripping, that are a secondary safety when closing.

That said, I would guess you have a problem with the optical sensor. It has four wires going into it and snaps into the motor assembly on the left rear pillar. You might try unhooking/inspecting it for cleanliness and proper position. To replace it, the book says you have to cut the wires (it says to carefully document which position each was in) and re-splice them to the new sensor which will then snap into place. Apparently the Body control module(s) can store failure codes for the system which can be read - not sure if by other than a dealer or very well equipped pro. shop.

Hope that helps. I am new to the Pacifica community with my '05 limited purchased this past summer - notice how the prices have fallen on them with gas going north? Anyway, good to be learning as I'll likely have a problem with my liftgate at some point too.
busboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
tbuckit1
AF Regular

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at that optical sensor.

T
Old 03-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Hi all,

out of curiosity I messed with my liftgate yesterday. The "pinch sensors" are the strips along the upper sides near the lift struts. They protect from smashing a hand or arm along that upper edge. Very sensitive. It required hardly a touch to reverse the closing cycle.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
sonic10
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Rear power hatch won't open

This is for busboy4. (Or anyone else who may have an idea.)I have the same problem. I had a class mate of my son's push on the automatic liftgate on my 2005 Pacifica. The problem was the gate would lift up and about a third of the way and then close again relatching. I think he blew the seal on the shocks by press in opposition to the closing action of the automatic liftgate. The liftgate shocks would hold for a while but now they are shot too. The shop says I need new liftgate shocks ($200)and a new moter($648). What I am wondering about could just new shocks fix this problem. It seems to me that the broken seals on the liftgate could cause the jerk reaction closing due to gravity. Please give my your opinion. (other than stuffing the classmate in the hatch. Not legal I am sure)Thanks
sonic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic10 View Post
This is for busboy4. (Or anyone else who may have an idea.)I have the same problem. I had a class mate of my son's push on the automatic liftgate on my 2005 Pacifica. The problem was the gate would lift up and about a third of the way and then close again relatching. I think he blew the seal on the shocks by press in opposition to the closing action of the automatic liftgate. The liftgate shocks would hold for a while but now they are shot too. The shop says I need new liftgate shocks ($200)and a new moter($648). What I am wondering about could just new shocks fix this problem. It seems to me that the broken seals on the liftgate could cause the jerk reaction closing due to gravity. Please give my your opinion. (other than stuffing the classmate in the hatch. Not legal I am sure)Thanks
Well I would think that replacing the lift supports yourself might be a good start. That is a heavy door and those shocks take the brunt of the load. Chrysler's list price is about $20 each so you might find them for less at Autozone or similar. They are not tough to change.

Chrysler's list on the motor is $163 by the way.

Good luck
Old 03-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
sonic10
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by busboy4 View Post
Well I would think that replacing the lift supports yourself might be a good start. That is a heavy door and those shocks take the brunt of the load. Chrysler's list price is about $20 each so you might find them for less at Autozone or similar. They are not tough to change.

Chrysler's list on the motor is $163 by the way.

Good luck
Dear busboy4. I am stunned by the price differential and yes I think I will attempt my own repair. Two questions-where did you find the parts-online? And I have been looking for a repair manual for 2005 Pacifica on CD or hard cover. All I see is the service manual. Do you know a source. We keep our cars 10 years. Thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Dear busboy4. I am stunned by the price differential and yes I think I will attempt my own repair. Two questions-where did you find the parts-online? And I have been looking for a repair manual for 2005 Pacifica on CD or hard cover. All I see is the service manual. Do you know a source. We keep our cars 10 years. Thanks
Hi,
I looked up the parts on chryslerpartsdirect.com - in the collision catalog under liftgate. As to the manuals, I purchased mine on Ebay. There are several listings there now for both written and electronic manuals.

Best of luck.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
barryliny
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Rear power hatch won't open

My '04 Pacifica's lift-gate will only work if outside temperature is 80º or more. Any comments?
barryliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryliny View Post
My '04 Pacifica's lift-gate will only work if outside temperature is 80º or more. Any comments?
Ya know I'm thinking the hatch supports - gas insert is stronger due to higher temp i.e. higher pressure? Maybe I'm full of it but it is an easy start.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
sonic10
AF Newbie

First of all thanks to Busboy4. I did solve my liftgate problem for $42. I ordered the part from "makeitmoparparts.com" You need a friend to hold the gate up while you make the change. Just pull out the little clips and insert. Within 5 minutes (with much glee at saving $1000 in repair) I was using my key to motion the gate up and down, up and down etc.
As an aside there is a great how to video on you tube for changing an 05 Pacifica headlight.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
sonic10
AF Newbie

I should have also said your lift cylinders are most likely bad. Check for leakage. If there are any drips, the seals are most likely broken. This happened to me when a teenager(not mine) decided to push up against the closing action of the liftgate. It also worked better in warmer weather. It finally stopped working. I took it in and told the repair guys the seals were broke. They estimated the repair at $200 for lift cylinders and about $650 for a new motor. They charged me $95 to tell me that the lift cylinders were broke and so was the motor. I asked them didn't they think it might just be the lift cylinders. They said no, it needed a motor too. I went back after I put the new cylinders on and asked for a refund of $95 since the diagnosis was not accurate which they gave me. This of course made me happy.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I should have also said your lift cylinders are most likely bad. Check for leakage. If there are any drips, the seals are most likely broken. This happened to me when a teenager(not mine) decided to push up against the closing action of the liftgate. It also worked better in warmer weather. It finally stopped working. I took it in and told the repair guys the seals were broke. They estimated the repair at $200 for lift cylinders and about $650 for a new motor. They charged me $95 to tell me that the lift cylinders were broke and so was the motor. I asked them didn't they think it might just be the lift cylinders. They said no, it needed a motor too. I went back after I put the new cylinders on and asked for a refund of $95 since the diagnosis was not accurate which they gave me. This of course made me happy.
Hey Good on you for sticking with it and going back to the shop too. Glad your liftgate is back in action - it is one of the nicer features and we enjoy it a lot.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Pacifica