Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2001, 11:25 PM   #1
Platypus
AF Newbie

Purchase snafu

On Sept. 2nd, my husband and I purchased a vehicle from a local dealer. On Sept 15th, we recieved a phone call from the dealer saying that they had some good news for us. They said that if we gave them another $250.00 they could lower our payments by $20.00. When my husband went to drop off the check, he was presented with a new contract. He signed the contract before noticing that the interest rate on the new contract had been increased to 17.9%. The interst rate on the original contract was 10.9%. When he questioned this, he was told that they could not get the financing originally agreed upon. He left the dealership at that point and I have not yet signed the new contract.

I assume that since they cannot fulfill the original contract, we can return the vehicle and get our down payment and the vehicle that we traded in back. During our conversation prior to purchasing the new vehicle, we were told that trade in vehicles were not sold until the financing on the new vehicle had been completed. However the dealership now tells us that they have already sold the vehicle we traded in.

I would like to know what our rights and option are in this situation. Thank you for any assistance or advice you can give us regarding this matter.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 11:27 PM   #2
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Where are you? In the U.S.? Which state?
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 11:37 PM   #3
Platypus
AF Newbie

California, U.S A.
Old 09-16-2001, 11:53 PM   #4
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
I looked at the California Department of Consumer Affairs, and they have a Consumer Resource & Referral Guide, which recommends that complaints about Automobiles, Leasing/Retail be directed to the Attorney General of California. Look under the "Contact Us" link for a toll-free number and a mailing address.

That sounds like the best place to start. You may want to ask your lawyer if (s)he knows anything in paticular about this field. I'd recommend that you not sign the contract for now, but make sure you contact the DoJ as soon as possible.

Did you have an original contract signed when you took the car in the first place?
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 12:01 AM   #5
Platypus
AF Newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I think I will talk to an attorney tomorrow.

Americans, get out those flags!!!
Old 10-03-2001, 01:30 AM   #6
autonology
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

I can assist you regarding your interest rate. The dealer scam is an old, old trick.
Take a look at this site and we'll help you.
http://www.wheelsdirect2u.com/buy_rate.htm

Take care
autonology is offline   Reply With Quote