Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 10:19 AM   #1
drophead99
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to drophead99
Question What car should I get?????

I am in the market for a car and I have made a list of cars that I like. The problem is that now I don't know what to get. I was wondering if you guys can help me out by telling me of some pros and cons of the cars that I list.

98-00 Toyota Camry V6 LE or XLE
98-99 Honda Accord LX V6 or VTEC 4-Cyl.
98-99 Honda Prelude
98-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T or GSX
98-99 Nissan Maxima
99-00 Toyota Celica GT (if good price 2000 GT-S)
98-00 Acura Integra GS or GS-R
98 Acura CL
98-99 Ford Mustang either a Mustang or a Mustang GT
96-97 Lexus ES 300
96-97 SC 300
99-00 Toyota Solara SE V6 or 4-Cyl.
drophead99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:49 AM   #2
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

Go with a two year old mustang. Pay cash and you could snag one for 2/3 the price of a new one with zero miles. Mods are cheap and easy compared to the rest of the list.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 12:19 PM   #3
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
The Accord V6 is a V-Tec engine as well. Thats the car I bought for the new grocery getter and I was picking from among many on your list. It fit my needs the best so its the one I went with. You'll need to do the same. If you can tell us your needs, we might be able to answer your question better.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 12-11-2001, 09:24 PM   #4
drophead99
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to drophead99
Well I want something that will have a good amount of power and performance to start off with and will have a good amount of mods available for it so that once its paid off I can have a good selection of mods available. I guess what I want is a car that can be a daily driver and a car that I can have some fun with. Something that can go in the twistys and be able to go through the turns. If you need me to elaborate farther then just ask.
drophead99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 05:57 AM   #5
LsvtecHatch
AF Newbie

Aparently you're looking for a car for the twisties, but lots of power?

These are more family cars:
Camry
Accord
Maxima
Lexus ES 300

These are more sporty:
Celica(Unless you're a girl, sorry not to offend anyone, but it's true)
Lexus SC300
Toyota Solara V6

These cars are made as sports cars:
Mustang GT
Integra GSR(not GS)
Eclipse GSX
Honda Prelude

Since you are also looking for a car with high speed right from the factory, look into a Camaro z28(Built for Drag).

The sports cars are all pretty easily modified.

But really it's all your choice, what you think looks the best. Reliability has been shown to be more prominent in Japanese cars. Mitsubishi has been known to be the least reliable of the Japanese makers. But people can argue this for centuries, so really it's all your choice. If you plan on driving all your friends around or have kids then get one of the family cars up top.
LsvtecHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 03:32 PM   #6
3.5litermoose
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 3.5litermoose
personally i would go with the mustang GT or the Celica GT-S if you can get it. Celica's are pretty sweet, and can probably handle better in the turns , but mustang gt's can definately put some major power to ground with the V8. Although the celica is a front wheel drive, and nothing matches sliding the ass around in a rear wheel drive car.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:56 PM   #7
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
From your description - a mustang is probably right up your alley. They have decent power and handling. You can mod the hell out of it at anytime and it doesnt cost an arm and a leg. It certainly sounds like a sports car is what your leaning towards so I'd say the Mustang is your best choice from the list you gave.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 12-12-2001, 07:50 PM   #8
LiuBei
AF Regular

Get something that says Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus on it. You won't be dissapointed like you would with all the others.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:11 AM   #9
LsvtecHatch
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by LiuBei
Get something that says Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus on it. You won't be dissapointed like you would with all the others.
Actually, If he gets something that says hyundai, kia, or geo then he's got a real performance car!
LsvtecHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 10:26 AM   #10
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by drophead99
Well I want something that will have a good amount of power and performance to start off with and will have a good amount of mods available for it so that once its paid off I can have a good selection of mods available. I guess what I want is a car that can be a daily driver and a car that I can have some fun with. Something that can go in the twistys and be able to go through the turns. If you need me to elaborate farther then just ask.
Dammit. People YOU DON'T GET RICH BY MAKING CAR PAYMENTS!!!
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 11:19 PM   #11
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
have u checked out a subaru impreza? mine was $18000, $300 a month. will beat the hell out of every one of the cars on that list except mustang gt and eclipse gsx in a straight line, and those 2 wont be very far ahead. will beat EVERY car on that list through the twisties. 3 time world rally championship winning suspension and frame, so u know its gonna be durable/reliable. if a car can run and win races over potholed, gravel, icey roads, through dry creekbeds and such, itll handle whatever u can give it. i saw a guy flip his over doing 90 into a 5 foot deep ditch, the frame wasnt even bent in the least bit all the doors all opened and closed with the smoothness of brand new. constantly getting compliments on how it looks. and as the subaru ad says, race ENGINEERED, not INSPIRED.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:48 AM   #12
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Can I ask a question, why do all Subaru owners have to go shouting out about blah blah blah Rally Championships? What the hell does a race on a dirt track have to do with being a stoplight when some1 is reving there engine at u? If you own a Subaru do you roll down the window and say ok after this let's goto a sandpit and I'll so you what is really up!

And do they really think the are driving the exact same car as shown on those dam commercials? You think u can take ya Subaru you bought from the dealer and go 5 feet high and land and ya car will keep on going like the friggin Dukes of Hazzard? Tell ya what.... Anyone who owns a Subaru and took offense to this, go try that lil stunt and then tell me how it turned out. I promise I'll eat my words if ya still alive to hear em
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote