Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 08:28 PM   #1
doodzi
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to doodzi
Question getting a good car

okay, ill just say now im a freshman in high school and m 15. im not like a car genius or anything. in fact, i hardly know anything about cars. my question is simple. my grades arent too good, so my dad, in attempt to get me higher grades said if i get straight a's all year he will get me a new car thats about 15 grand next year when i turn 16. i know that 15 grand cant get you the best car, but its a good start, i think so at least. also, my neighbor is a car sales man and he sells used cars. i think that i could get a discount from him maybe. im looking for a car that looks good, powerful/fast, and stuff like that. also i hope to add to it, maybe a spoiler or whatever. remember, around 15 grand is all i got
doodzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 01:06 PM   #2
Jeff25
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Jeff25
If you're looking for speed/looks I don't think you can go wrong with a 300ZX. A 1994 Nissan 300ZX Turbo will run somewhere between $13-16K, depending on condition, mileage, etc. The car looks and runs sweet, not to mention that it goes 0-60 in 6 seconds and pulls mid 14's in the quarter which is pretty damn good for an affordable base. You might also want to take a look at some older Corvette models or Mazda RX-7's.
Jeff25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 03:12 PM   #3
AbsurdParadox
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to AbsurdParadox
Re: getting a good car

Hmm, 15 years old, and complaining about only getting $15k? LMAO! Man, I still drive my first car which Igot for $2100 of my OWN money when I was 16. If your father truley wants to teach you something, he should make you save and pay for atleast half your own car, not just force you to get good grades.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:42 PM   #4
Cavallino
AF Enthusiast

what about a used maxima, say... '95, '96. That'd run under 15 easy.
Cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 09:29 PM   #5
3.5litermoose
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 3.5litermoose
Man come on...only 15,000!!!! you could buy all kinds of beutiful vehicular bliss with that kinda of money! how much miles are you thinking on your car? what year? if old (90's) is alright with you, you can pick up a '88 BMW m3 for around that much, but maybe with a few problems and fairly high miles. Mid-90's BMW's can also be bought for that kind of money. options are open, pal. Name a resonable car thats a few years old and chances are you'll be able to buy it.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:44 PM   #6
ynotme
AF Newbie

get a cheap new car.....like mine....when it comes to change parts, u need extra extra extra $$$
ynotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 11:36 PM   #7
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
if u got an 88 toyota corolla gts for like $3000, dropped the trd crate motor 4AGE with the individual throttle bodies in for like $6000 (im overestimating the cost there), put a trd prepped transmission in it for about $2000, limited slip for about $1500, then the rest into whatever u wanted spoilers body kit whatever youd be the coolest person in the world. i know youre thinking "88 corolla?" but the gts is bad its rear wheel drive, with the trd crate motor it would be fast as hell, and it would handle beautifully cuz they already handle good which is why they are so popular in japan for drifting and road racing.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote