Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 03:15 PM   #1
HeLsFury
AF Newbie

Life expectancy of a 3000gt SL

I have two 3000gt's , One has 117k miles on it and runs like a sewing machine. The car runs absolutely flawlessly and uses very little, if any oil, between changes.

Ive seen these cars with upwards of 200k on them and still running very well with owners who maintain them very well.

What would one venture to say the average life expectancy of an SL model would be, given it is well maintained throughout its ownership????

any ideas????

Thanks
Old 08-29-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
I dont think the cars have been around long enough to see what the average life expectancy would be. A lot of 91s are still on the road so until we hear of a bunch just wearing out, I'd say its at 12 years and going strong.

Considering that a car properly taken care of basically has unlimited miles (sure - the engine will need to be repaired at some point) I dont think the milage is what will eventually whipe out the car.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
fantomdave
AF Newbie

Re: Life expectancy of a 3000gt SL

I looked into that when I first purchased a 92' stealth with 163m on it. It lasted me up until 191m before the tranny went up and I have heard from a lot of people that it is not at all uncommon for them to hit 200m. Most of the gt's and stealths that leave this earth are from an unnatrual causes (i.e. telliphone poles, ditches, other cars.)
Old 06-24-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
2old
AF Regular

Isn't this dependent on what you are willing to fix? Personally what will probably eventually kill the car for me is if there is an accumulation of electrical gremlins that I can't track down (Nothing yet and it's a 92).
Old 06-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Wischmaster
AF Enthusiast

Mine is a 1991 SL and it is just about to roll over to 170,000 miles. Runs like a charm, besides a low idle. But that can be fixed. Oh, and the A/C doesn't work... and the right side of my temperature control thing is not lit. Probably a bulb. Is there such thing as a 180k mile tune-up? Not highly talked about. I'll just replace everything as soon as I get the cash.

Btw, my pedal is still sticky. I checked out the throttle cable and everything seems alright, but the pedal is real touchy. Like it does go, and you put a little force to the pedal to ease on the acceleration and the pedal "pops" and you bring it up to 3k with the clutch in. Is there something I should lube under the dash? Or in the engine? It's kind of a bother but oh well.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
2old
AF Regular

Every 60 000 miles is basically that timing belt/water pump tuneup.
I am not sure what it is called but the throttle cable leads to the cruise control "box" which is where the throttle cable meets the "gas pedal" cable and the "cruise control cable" (it's a black trapazoidal metal box on the left side with 3 (4?) "pipes" going into it).
It's probably one of 2 things... The mechanism is sticky or there is slack in the gas petal cable. You will have to play with it b/c if you put too much tension in the gas petal cable it will leave the trottle open..

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth