Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 02:18 AM   #1
speedindevil
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to speedindevil Send a message via Yahoo to speedindevil
2" shackle lift Any Relocations needed?

Hey guys and gals, I was wondering if I put a 2" shackle lift on my YJ if I would have to extend the brake lines, drop the pitman arm down and drop the transfer case down or get a CV driveshaft to make it ride right. Any into is appreciated. Also, I was wondering if the newer soft tops or the sailcloth tops are any quieter at highway speeds? Thanks
Old 04-08-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
windywinters
AF Regular

Re: 2" shackle lift Any Relocations needed?

I would buy a lift kit that includes : transfer case lowering spacers and dropped pitman arm as these are recommended for suspension lifts of 2" or more. Brake lines should be ok. I have a Best Top bikini top & windjammer and it keeps the air from coming thru the back but it's still noisy. All part of the JEEP experience I guess.
windywinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to goinbig

If the brake lines are a little tight (especially while flexing) you can just move the brackets, that holds the lines to the frame/body, down a little on the frame until there is enough slack.
goinbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 10:58 PM   #4
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to goinbig

Also, have you already bought the shackle lift already? That is a lot of lift coming from the shackles. When they are that long, they become very unstable, especially if you plan on going off road. I would consider a suspension lift, add a leafs, or a body lift. You could also do something like a 1" body lift and a 1" shackle lift.
goinbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #5
YJ_steve
AF Newbie

i have a 2" shackel lift on my YJ and it rides fine without any modifications, although it flattens out the leaf springs a little. I am in the process of doing a "spring-over" lift which is what a would reccomend for the YJ's. That way you can use the stock springs and you get the same ride (not as stiff as a spring lift) and you get 5 inches of lift. Although if you do this big of a lift, you need the following: a skid drop kit, drop pitman arm, brake lines, new spring perches, shocks, rear driveshaft, and a slip yoke eliminator. It will come out to about $800 worth of parts but you'll be ahead of the game compaired to a spring lift.
YJ_steve is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler