Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
GeneP
AF Newbie

95 Z Code same as 94 Z Code?

Son looking to replace the Z code 4.3 motor in his 95 s10 pickup has found one out of a 94 GMC 1/2 ton truck. The one we're looking at comes complete from intake to pan & the ECM & harness. Are these to motors a direct swap?? What might I expect to be different?

Thanks,
Gene
GeneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
OverBoardProject
Banned

Re: 95 Z Code same as 94 Z Code?

Your best bet is a side by side comparsion.

The reason for this is because the wires could olug into different locations, and little differences like that.

I would really think that it'd be close, but I'd be suprised if the exhaust manifolds exit out in the same spot. But it might.
OverBoardProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
GeneP
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply,
Not to concerned with the exhaust manifold bolt up. We'll be using headers that's already on son's s10. So far we only have photos of the replacement motor & from what we can see it is the same. What we're concerned about is computer differences even though the replacement is coming with a puter & harness. And any way to easily tell if its a "balance shaft" motor like the one we have. Or any other differences between the 94 & our 95.
My son's ultimate goal is to pick this know good motor cheap then tear it down to rebuild with better performance piston's, cam, manifold, etc. Or is it really worth it?

Thanks Again,
Gene
Old 12-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
herkyhawki
AF Regular

Does the '95 have OBD2? Does it have a crank position sensor (located near bottom of timing cover)?
The 94 will have tin timing cover with 10 or 11 bolts. If the '95 has the same tin cover, all is well. If the '95 has the 6-bolt platic cover with crank sensor, you are probably OK, but need to pay attention. The block castings were changed in mid- 94 to provide more raised sealing surface to accomodate the 6-bolt plastic cover that appeared in mid-95. You will need to have the 6-bolt cover with crank sensor if truck is OBD2. It was a running change at the foundry and there is no way to know what casting you have by looking at the part numbers.

The crank in the 94 may or may not be machined to accept the reluctor wheel for crank sensor. It can only be determined by inspection.

Pay attention to Knock sensors. They are tweaked almost every year, either with new part # or different locations. Use the knock sensors and locations that were originally paired with whichever ECM you use. ie If you keep th 95 ECM, install the 95 knock sensors on the 94 block.
herkyhawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
GeneP
AF Newbie

The 95 we have is an OBD I same as the 94 so I think we'll be OK.

Thanks

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10