Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
TheEnd
AF Newbie

Revell '69 Ford Torino Talladega

So for my first post I thought I would give a short intro about myself and my latest project.

My father got me into modeling when I was old enough to put together a Snap Tite kit. I still remember my first one after 22 years, a teal Ford Bronco with plastic tires. My father has been modeling since he was a teenager in the 70's. It has been a fun past time for us and we enjoy going to shows together. He pushed me to enter in a contest, and I ended up winning first place in the 15-16 youth group with my pro street El Camino. That was a fun moment for both of us. Unfortunately I haven't won anything since

My biggest problem with modeling is that I have OCD. I spend so much time hunting for every mold line, every gap or sink mark, and making sure every paint job is perfect. I end up getting stressed out and giving up. I've completed only five kits, Not good.

Like most younger builders I went off to school and packed away all of my kits and supplies. I recently graduated and after attending the 2012 Woodward Dream Cruise (I go every year) I decided to pick up the hobby again. Enter my Revell Torino Talladega. I'm not sure why I bought this kit, I happen to think it looks funny with its fat rear end and the extended nose. I can't build anything box stock, so I thought adding a few street racer parts would be a fun way to spice it up. Then I was thinking about what color to paint it, and I came up with a great solution to my building problem.

The car will be built as if the owner bought a beat up old Torino and wanted to make it fast on a budget, and couldn't afford to make it look pretty. There will be rust holes, mis matched panels, and I will try to make it look like a Talladega clone rather than the real deal. Building an intentionally ugly car should make this build pretty fun.

Sorry for such a long intro, but I wanted to explain the project and give it a little background. I have only started a few basic parts so you haven't missed anything. On to the WIP.

The rear axle. The kit wanted me to mount the diff housing upside down. Mounting it the right way caused some strange gaps that required filling. It's ready for a second coat of primer to check for flaws.

I scratch built a couple of Lakewood style traction bars. After I finish the rear axle I will work on the mounting points and add a bit more detail to them.

The Ford 428 engine. I'm going to wire and plumb a few things and add some washes to keep it simple. The engine will look like a fresh rebuild with mild upgrades. I have the mold lines removed.

The rolling stock. I'm going to keep these looking clean as new wheels and tires are a common sight on rough older cars. I might replace the fronts with a set of Keystone wheels, haven't decided yet.

The Keystone wheels (in the front).

The big goofy brute. I'm thinking of painting the front fenders in semi gloss black to represent new clone panels, and having the rest in rough shape. Just working on the mold lines for now. Sorry for the dark exposure.

The rust test. This was purely a test on a scrap body to see what I could do with the supplies I have. I will need something to add grit, and I purchased some brown paints to help give a wider range of color. Right now it is just milled from the backside with a ball bit and dremel, and some Tamiya Weathermaster rust powder. I like what I see.

Thank you for looking. I'm open to constructive critasism so fire away.
TheEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
jbdanadijon
AF Newbie

Re: Revell '69 Ford Torino Talladega

Hello,
Nice model car you are starting...
For your rust, you can use instant rust, it is a nice product that really makes plastic rusts !!!

Bye
jbdanadijon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
ford , talladega , torino
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street