Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Galaxy
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
d2marti2
AF Newbie

Fuel Issue Help Needed! - 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 - 289 4.7

Hey Everybody,

I'm new here (and to this whole restoration business) so go easy on me.

My grandpa has an old 1967 ford galaxie that caught my eye, and he says if I can get it running, I can have it... problem is I'm not a mechanic.

What I've replaced so far. Starter, battery cable wires, oil, oil filter, fuel, fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plug wires.

Here is the issue. So, the car cranks, but it wasn't drawing fuel, no gas smell at all. So I figured.. replace the fuel pump! nope. So one thing I did was to blow down the fuel line to the tank, i head bubbles, so I'm assuming the fuel line to the tank is good. But when I connect the mechanical fuel pump, and even try cranking it by hand, or even in the engine, it doesn't draw gas.

This is what is confusing me. If the fuel line is somewhat clear (I can blow into the tank from the pump), and the pump is new, why isn't it pulling fuel?

Could it be that the fuel line is clogged enough to let air through, but not fuel? Or could it be another problem with the tank itself?

It's super frustrating and I'm at a loss of ways to troubleshoot it, any recommendations from the pros?

Could it be the fuel sending unit?

Thanks
-New User
d2marti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: Fuel Issue Help Needed! - 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 - 289 4.7

You have a mechanical fuel pump. There is no sender unit. It has just a line from the front to the tank at the rear that should free flow the fuel. The pump has a arm the is moved up and down by a cam inside the engine that moves a diaphragm inside the pump to suck the fuel from the tank and pass it on up to the carb. I would disconnect the line from the fuel pump that goes back to the tank and connect on to it a suction bulb to try and draw the fuel through the line. It should flow pretty easily. If it doesn't, then there may be debris in the tank stopping the flow. Blowing back as you've done may momentarily move the debris so you hear bubbles, but it can quickly move back and stop the flow necessary for the pump. At that age, it may be prudent to drop the tank and clean it out.
If you are getting flow to the pump, reconnect the line going in and disconnect the line at the carb. Try cranking to see that the pump is working when you crank. You may have the wrong pump or installed it incorrectly for the arm to connect correctly with the cam to get the up/down action.
If you are getting flow out the line that goes to the carb, then you have problems with the floats or needles.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
ford , fuel , galaxie , issue , troubleshoot
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Galaxy