Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:59 AM   #1
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
2.0 16V problem

<cross posted from Passat forum, sorry Deakins )

I have a '92 Passat, with teh 9A 2.0 16V engine, CIS-E Motronic...

Yesterday I made an attempt at replacing the head gasket, until I realized I wasn't going to be able to get the lower radiator hose off without cutting the hose clamp, and I didn't have a replacement. I got off the intake manifold, ignition system, fuel injectors and lines, and the intake boots between the throttle body and fuel metering unit.

I put it all back together again and fire it up, and it runs awful. It holds a rough idle at around 900rpm, and I can smell that it's running really rich. I thought maybe the cold start injector was staying on, so I disconnected that, but it still ran rich.

I suspected the ignition system, so I took it out for a road test, and it pulled hard all the way to 7000rpm, so I don't think the ignition system is at fault. The engine has very recent Bosch platinums, a very recent distributor cap, etc...

The only thing I can really think of is that there is an air leak somewhere, and that the Motronic is trying to compensate by adding more fuel to compensate...

Any ideas?

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
boschmann
AF Fanatic

Re: 2.0 16V problem

Make sure all the ground wires from the wiring harness were re-connected. There should also be a ground strap to the body from the backside of the head. Was it cranked or run without some connected? Is it possible that the air boot was split during the job? Some rips can be hard to find in the folds or the rubber boot.

Last edited by boschmann; 05-18-2004 at 04:29 PM.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI