Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
vgk
AF Newbie

maxima stalls after deceleration, stalls at idle

1992 maxima
- Engine stalls sometimes during deceleration, sometimes when stopped at idle. sometimes will stumble at idle and recover.
- Sometimes will stumble under moderate acceleration, especially up hills.
- When the engine quits, I can immediately restart it, normally, just as if nothing is wrong. The car may run fine for awhile, or quit again.

The dealer could find nothing wrong, but I don't know if he checked the error codes on the ecu - anybody have a similar problem and solve it?
Thanks!
vgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:06 AM   #2
mamasocks
AF Newbie

Re: maxima stalls after deceleration, stalls at idle

I had a similar problem on my '97 Maxima, but my car would only re-start after about 5 minutes. My problem was the camshaft position sensor. I replaced it a week ago and so for the problem is solved. Is you check engine light on? You can get a Haynes manual and check the ecu's yourself.
mamasocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
vgk
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response. I have a Nissan service manual, and it does not mention a camshaft position sensor for my year. It does have a "crank angle sensor". Same thing?
Old 02-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #4
mamasocks
AF Newbie

I guess it could be similar. First, I would pull the ecu codes myself to double check what the dealer said. Also, you might want to check your spark plugs and the wires/ coil packs for a problem.
mamasocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:15 PM   #5
vlc1968
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgk
1992 maxima
- Engine stalls sometimes during deceleration, sometimes when stopped at idle. sometimes will stumble at idle and recover.
- Sometimes will stumble under moderate acceleration, especially up hills.
- When the engine quits, I can immediately restart it, normally, just as if nothing is wrong. The car may run fine for awhile, or quit again.

The dealer could find nothing wrong, but I don't know if he checked the error codes on the ecu - anybody have a similar problem and solve it?
Thanks!
Hi I have been having same problem with 1996 nissian. My Maxima has had spark plugs,3 rear ignitions coils and crank case sensor replace by a service company. When stop or idle it will shut off without notice like if someone turn ignition off. It will start right back up may work good for a while. I was told the crank case sensor was burned and that the coils were arching. Which I now think after 3 attempts by the same company they are giving me the shaft. I then took car to a nissan dealership the checkengine light came on right before taking to them. It had never came on before. Nissian Replace a Sensor-Booster, Mass Air Flow Ctrl, and valve assembly control. They kept it for 3 days driving and testing no engine light came on. After driving from dealership 8 miles check engine light is coming on again and I am out $1000. Also my car idle seems high. Without gas pedal depress my car is going 17mph on a flat surface. In park idle is 1200rpm. What is normal? Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also could the be the TPS sensor causing the problem?
vlc1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 AM   #6
vgk
AF Newbie

I think you should idle at 650 rpm +/-..thats what I experienced when the car was "normal". I have a big problem with Nissan dealers in general. They are bad at diagnosing problems, and like to replace parts until they finally get it right, causing a lot of expense. They also don't "fix" something, but replace the whole unit. I had a cracked turn signal lens once and instead of replacing the lens, they wanted to replace the whole light unit ($120.00). I also had a bad pump in the transmission of a Pathfinder, and they wanted to replace the transmission, radiator, and something else, for $6,500 "we dont fix transmissions, we replace them". I got a transmission shop to rebuild it for $1,800, new parts and labor.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
WV2kMax
AF Newbie

I was having a problem of my 2000 Maxima stalling out when decelerating. It ended up being the throttle body. They told me that after a while they are bad about getting carbonation built up in them so I had the throttle body cleaned and some stuff ran through the gas. Works fine now, cost me $45 at a local place, the dealership wanted to charge me $195, what a rip off.
WV2kMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:13 AM   #8
vidkun
AF Newbie

I had the same symptoms with my 93 ve dohc. The car had no error codes but it would stall constantly. It was as if the key was turned off. I checked the coil packs, changed the fuel pump, monitored the voltage to the pump while driving but couldn't find the problem. The car was at the point it wasn't driveable. My local dealer stated without even checking the car that the timing belt was bad (this car has a timing chain). He then claimed it must be that the throttle body needed cleaning. I got the car to sto stalling. I did three things at one time so I'm not sure which was the solution. 1) changed O2 sensor ngk 24064, 2) installed a ground strap from the engine to the body, 3) cleaned the two + wire connectors near the battery post. I believe it was the O2 sensor but as I said I can't be sure. Don't be overcharged for the sensor I saw prices from $50 to $108 for the same sensor. The ngk 24064 is OE identical.
vidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:37 AM   #9
jattsta
AF Newbie

i am having the same problem on my 99 max. i bought an o2 sensor and am replacing today, so i will let you know if that fixes the problem. $45 to clean the throttle body??? you could do it yourself in 10 minutes with a qtip and a $4 bottle of carb cleaner!!!!
jattsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #10
turk66460
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turk66460 Send a message via Yahoo to turk66460

I had the same problem as VGK staded it was the MAF. Mass Airflow sensor was bad. It hat the same problems. Cleaned the throtle body out didn't work. Just about everything that would do a complete tune up didn't work. I would get you MAF checked out. Good Luck

T-Man
turk66460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:09 PM   #11
rule da road
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to rule da road
Re: Re: maxima stalls after deceleration, stalls at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jattsta
i am having the same problem on my 99 max. i bought an o2 sensor and am replacing today, so i will let you know if that fixes the problem. $45 to clean the throttle body??? you could do it yourself in 10 minutes with a qtip and a $4 bottle of carb cleaner!!!!
Jattsa, u gotta holla. I've had this problem occasionally in my 00 stick but i feel the car just needed to warm up some mo'. OK, stupid question #1: we dont have carbeurators, got fuel injectors, but use carb cleaner.
Question #2: This is fix i'm lookin forward to, did u have this problem, stick, and did it resolve the problem or recognize perfomance gains.
#3 Kind enough to describe/instruct this process? Sh... I thought $45 wasn't badd!
rule da road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:21 PM   #12
jattsta
AF Newbie

carb cleaner is fine because it basically just gets rid of all the gunk that builds up. you could even use is as an oven cleaner if it wasnt for the ridiculously high flammability risk!

to clean the throttle plate, basically you just have to remove the air intake and maf sensor. if you know where your air filter is, basically follow it until the plastic parts stop and a metal engine part is. take off all the plastic stuff up to that part (should be like 3 parts-air filter, some tubing, maf sensor). this will expose the throttle plate. if you look in there, any black substances are not supposed to be there, so spray carb cleaner on it, let it soak for a minute, then wipe it off with a rag, or a qtip to really get in there. and thats it!! basically what happens is that this throttle plate pivots to let in air, and if there is alot of buildup it gets stuck, and not enough air is getting in, leading to a little bit of a rough ride...

as far as fixing the problem, i will find out if the o2 sensor is the culprit by tonight. expect a post by me tomorrow...

the reason i determined its my o2 sensor thats the problem is because my car always runs much better when it is cold, and about 5 mins into the drive you can notice a performance decline. this is because the o2 sensor doesnt 'kick in' until it is at the correct temp (around 600 F), which sometimes takes 5-10 minutes (but in newer models only a minute or less). but ill know for sure when i replace it...
Old 07-21-2004, 12:26 PM   #13
jattsta
AF Newbie

oh, and my car is an automatic, but the process should be the same in both transmission types...
Old 07-21-2004, 12:54 PM   #14
rule da road
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to rule da road

you the man! When I change my intake, i'll look forward to that procedure.
rule da road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:41 PM   #15
jattsta
AF Newbie

ok, so i replaced 1 of my upstream o2 sensors, and it made a little bit of a difference. the car still shudders at idle and sputters a little at acceleration, but i noticed the power loss has declined alot. im going to order another o2 sensor and replace that, so hopefully thatll cure it!