Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
blmcguire
AF Newbie

98 Ram Vibration Noise

I have a 98 Dodge Ram with the 5.9L. At speeds around 55-65 mph I get a vibration and noise coming from somewhere under the hood. It's not a very loud vibration or noise, but enough to hear. This only happens when I am going the said speed and SLIGHTLY pressing on the accelerator. It doesn't happen if I am going the speed and not pressing on the accelerator, or have my foot in the pedal. It happens at the speed with apprx. 1/4" to 1" of acceleration There are no fault codes and no loss of power issues to speak of. The truck only has 69,000 miles on it and runs great, but the vibration and noise is starting to get on my nerves. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
blmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: 98 Ram Vibration Noise

Is that an auto.trans? Gasoline engine?
2wd?

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
blmcguire
AF Newbie

Gas , 2WD, Automatic
blmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
MikeCStig
AF Regular

55-65 seems like an appropriate speed for the torque converter lockup to engage and for the transmission to shift into overdrive. A big engine like a 5.9 V8 I'm guessing runs at a pretty low RPM in overdrive. Applying the throttle at low RPMs would cause any engine to have a tendency toward what you're describing. The difference is in the engine and transmission mounts. I'm guessing they're not new.
Under the circumstances you've described, I'm not at all surprised that there's a vibration as long as it's not intense enough to shake bits of the truck off (interior trim, body panels, etc.). Your truck is 18 years old, so unless you're interested in replacing all of the engine and transmission mounts, you may just have to get used to a slight vibration when you first hit overdrive. A good way to test my theory is to shut the overdrive off (if you can) and see if this vibration still happens. If not, you have your answer. I just wouldn't recommend driving with the overdrive off full time, you'll wind up spending a fortune on gas.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

That sounds like a good starting place.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10