Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
topazmoon3
AF Newbie

installing a PCM or Electronic engine comp.

My Isuzu Rodeo has been thru alot for the same problems...stalling or surging, and/or bucking in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. Took it to the dealer for
a possible recall, but mechanic said it needed a computer.(A $900 job). I need to know if someone else has advise on this and if it should be done at a dealer or if a mechanically inclined husband can do this by himself. Also a used one or should I get a new one (which only can be purchased through the dealer brand new. Anyone else go through this same ordeal? Love to hear about it. Thanks
topazmoon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

Re: installing a PCM or Electronic engine comp.

Can you give us more info? What year; engine; miles; transmission - auto or stick?

And, can you give more detail on the symptoms?

I personally, highly doubt the main computer is the issue - I've almost NEVER heard of a 1st &/or 2nd generation Rodeo needing a new computer; unless the truck was submerged in water.

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
topazmoon3
AF Newbie

Hey Thanks rambiln Fever, but no my car was not submerged in water. It is a 5 speed (manual) 120K miles, V6 and is a 98 Rodeo. It is a shame bc it looks great, but inside the hood it is another story. It started stalling a year ago, for any slow down reason...red light, parking in a lot, slow down for hard turns, etc. It would do this randomly every two or three days. Now it does it more and when I put my clutch in it surges on alternate days and the other alternating days it stalls and only goes if I red line it!!!. We have done almost everything to it (egr valves, map sensor, oxygen sensor, and alot others I have forgotten..) Finally I saw that the 98 Rodeo had a recall for the harness wiring and that could make it stall...so naturally I took it to a dealer and they came up with all the recalls that had been replaced on this car and that one had. He hooked up the diagnostic thing cause my engine light is always on...and said I needed a PCM or computer. He is supposedly the #1 Rodeo mechanic here NC. We have replaced everything the computer codes gave us until we are so sick of this game. My husband likes the old cars 70's and earlier just bc of this computer crap.Anyway I wanted to get a second opinion or advise on this and has anyone here done this and DID IT WORK? I hope this helps a little more for you or someone. And by the way, there should be more people in the world for what you do for the dogs! Thanks...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Gizmo42
AF Enthusiast

Its not unheard of for the computer to go bad (read about a couple of them) but it is pretty rare. If that does turn out to be the case a used one should be fine and they are pretty easy to replace. It should be the same place as my '99. Pull the center console and trim around the stereo. It will be below where the ash tray is.

As for the stalling issues a very common problem on 2nd gen 3.2 rodeos is a cracked intake manifold gasket. Isuzu has revised the toque spec on the bolts a couple of times because its so common for them to break. You might want to have that checked. I never trust the stealership to diagnose the problem.

1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 5 Speed
32x11.50-15 BFG T/A KO
3" Lift - Rancho 9000x
Rear No-Slip Locker
Flowmaster 2.25" 50 Series
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry
Gizmo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Pick up a used ECU from www.car-parts.com for under a 100 bucks and see what happens.

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
topazmoon3
AF Newbie

Thanks, Gizmo, for all the info. I really appreciate it and you've given us some good ideas. And Amigo, If we got one at a junyard, even tho it is for an Isuzu Rodeo, will we have to re-program it ? By the way every now and then the car has a good day and is fine, but probably 1out of 10 days- If that changes things at all.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD