Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 07:42 PM   #1
MAXZIMA
AF Newbie

Lost to Acura CL types S

Did anyone raced that car. It is damn fast. Wow.
MAXZIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 11:22 PM   #2
Maximadave
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximadave
It depends on how well tuned your car is and how many mods you have done. So far I'm 3 wins 1 loss. Beat the 3 by at least a car length. It's a pretty close matchup. It all depends on the driver of course.

Maximadave

Internet Manager @ Car Buy Choice, Inc.
Buy Your Next Car At Internet Wholesale
www.carbuychoice.com
(800) 290-0660
Maximadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 03:00 PM   #3
MaxRX7
AF Enthusiast

those ARE honduhs right ?
Old 09-01-2001, 06:07 AM   #4
MaximumBrian
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MaximumBrian Send a message via AIM to MaximumBrian
I beat one on the road and freeway. There was on section around 90-105 MPH where it pulled on me, the rest I pulled hard especially after 120
Mods: Stillen 5 Piece Aero Kit / 5Zigen GT8 17" Rims / Nitto NT555 ZR-W 235/45/17 Tires / Suspension Techniques Modified Springs / Tokico Blues / Stillen Front Strut Tower Bar / Stillen Rear Sway Bar / Greddy Catback Exhaust / Cattman Y-Pipe / Random Tech 2.5" Straight Through Cat Converter / PR Cold Air Intake Adapter / Stillen ShortRam Intake with Velocity Stack / GForce 96 ECU (Testing for Maximadriver.com/Cheston) / Stillen Carbon Fiber Dash / Clear'd Amber Out of Taillights / Courtesy Front Clear Corners / SS Brake Lines / Porterfield Pads / Cut Shift Handle / Autolite Titanium Spark Plugs / B&M Carbon Fiber Shift Knob / Razo Carbon Fiber Pedals / JL 12W3 12" / Kenwood 650 Watt Amp / Redline MTF / Mobil 1 5w30 every 2500 miles / Wax every 3 months
180 FWHP - 186 TQ [Before Cat & ECU] (Outside 90F, one small worthless fan) / Estimate Power (w/ Cat & ECU) 190 FWHP - 200 TQ / 14.7 @ 94 [Before Cat & ECU] (Pomona 01/2001 - Cool/Overcast day)
http://www.brianv.net

Who wants some???

Support my business so I can mod my Maxima - http://www.vsdev.com
MaximumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 10:57 AM   #5
MAXZIMA
AF Newbie

You cant beat this car it has 260 HP and I drove this car. It don't matter how you moded your maxima. Anyone who has 5 speed, this car has SS with 5 speed. So please dont say that you beat this car, it is much faster, got better handeling, better torque etc.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:05 AM   #6
mtrai760
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mtrai760
I can beat this car with an automagic.... Pleeeezzzzz say I can't... Pleeezzzz! It's not that fast, too heavy and 5 speed auto, I've beaten two already. Its not hard with the right mods... I haven't been on the dyno yet, but I guarentee Ive got the HP and TQ numbers beat , so pleaz don't say it can't be done

Quote:
Originally posted by MAXZIMA
You cant beat this car it has 260 HP and I drove this car. It don't matter how you moded your maxima. Anyone who has 5 speed, this car has SS with 5 speed. So please dont say that you beat this car, it is much faster, got better handeling, better torque etc.

Thanks.
Faster than jOO!

A hunting we will go...
mtrai760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 11:08 AM   #7
MAXZIMA
AF Newbie

Fuck that I got moded maxima, and I been driving for long time. 1990-2000 Stock and moded maxima, will never, I repead never beet 3.2 CL-S. Remember that. And lets all belive that. Get over it.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:15 AM   #8
mtrai760
AF Enthusiast

Don't let your slow car drag down everyone else! Come on over to So Cali or even better, WA, and I'll show ya what a Maxima can do. I guarantee an Acuara CL is not in the 13's, so what kinda smack ya talkin I'm making more power than a CL, so why can't I beat it? . BTW, I'm not taking this serious, so don't get offended---->

Quote:
Fuck that I got moded maxima, and I been driving for long time. 1990-2000 Stock and moded maxima, will never, I repead never beet 3.2 CL-S. Remember that. And lets all belive that. Get over it.
Faster than jOO!

A hunting we will go...
Old 09-04-2001, 11:26 AM   #9
Frezny
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Frezny Send a message via AIM to Frezny Send a message via Yahoo to Frezny
Arrow Drive train loss

Not sure of exact numbers to each Honduh, but a Civic friend of mine claims that most Honduhs lose over 25% of HP from the crank to the wheels, due to the inefficient drive-train. So, based on that info, the CL is only making 195 FWHP (This is probably wrong, but it's a starting point to calculate CL-S performance). Curb weight of the type S is 3525 lb. Compensate the original 232 ft lb's off the crank with the drive train loss, and their only putting down 174 ft lb's to the wheels.

Now, take the curb weight of the Maxima 3010 lbs and the drive train loss numbers (I could be wrong but I remember Maxima's FWHP and FWTQ numbers to be like 165/175)

And estimate power to weight ratio.

CL-S: .0553

Maxima: .0548

With these numbers, the Max has the advantage off of the launch. His tourque is equal to that of the CL-S yet with significantly less wieght to move. The CL-S will kick in at higher RPM's and accelerate quicker than the Max.

Ultimately, the close numbers dictate that the race goes to the better driver.

Conclusion: A MODDED MAX CAN AND WILL BEAT A CL-S
Frezny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 11:27 AM   #10
MAXZIMA
AF Newbie

BS.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:30 AM   #11
Frezny
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Frezny Send a message via AIM to Frezny Send a message via Yahoo to Frezny
How can I argue with that?
Old 09-04-2001, 11:32 AM   #12
mtrai760
AF Enthusiast

What do you drive anyway, an acura? Why do you seem to care so much? Bring your acura up to WA and I'll show ya, anytime anywhere, the acura will NOT win. Please frequent the acura board if that's your car of choice, but save the flames for real BS, not a fact like a Maxima can beat a CL. 4 post and this is all you have to say? Get real.

Quote:
BS.
Faster than jOO!

A hunting we will go...
Old 09-04-2001, 11:50 AM   #13
Frezny
AF Newbie

I've drivne both

a CL and my Max (99auto SE). My GF's has the CL. Granted, it's not a CL-S, but before 5500 RPMs, they're the same car, except the S is heavier. Off the line, I take her everytime. To prove that it's not driver, we switched cars, and she beat me with the Max every time off the line. In the higher RPM range, I can feel her CL wanting to be an S and probably taking my stock (4spd) max with the Vtec acceleration, but it's still a race that goes to the better driver and better launch.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:00 PM   #14
MAXZIMA
AF Newbie

Hello? What the fuck are you talking about man? The Type S has a huge diference with CL-P it is 2 different cars. The 3.2CL Type S engine was tuned and modified until an extra 35 horsepower emerged from its aluminum block. The compression ratio was raised to 10.5:1. The redline was raised to a stratospheric 6,900 rpm. The fuel-cutoff point was raised to a breath shortening 7,000 rpm. And the threshold for VTEC™ activation was raised to 4,800 rpm. I raced my GF, I raced my GF.

All I am saying that I drove one of the CL-S. I had maxima for 5 years already. I had 1994, 1996, and now 2000. I know what maxima is all about. I was selling these cars, 2-3 every day. My Brother was putting mods on this maximas for 5 fuckin years. He did NOS, Headers, Intakes. ETC. HE is putting modes for CL-S now, and he said there is huge difference in performance compare to Maxima. There are huge numbers of cars that was coming back to the shop, because Maxima's transmission couldn't hadle the power that this guys asked for. Huge adwantage of the CL_S is VTEC that you can play with. He had Acuras that was pulling out of the shop with 330-340 HP. And he was able to give them warranty, because he has trast for this transmission.

So please I don't mean no disrespect to all of you, I am just trying to make you guy's understand that this cars are different.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:23 PM   #15
Frezny
AF Newbie

Never argued that the CL-S wasn't a powerful car, or just how different the S from the standard coupe are (the differences you mentioned aren't that more than what a tuner could do to the max, just you get the Type-S from the factory that way) It's some good marketing on their part.

You're arguing that a stock CL-S can't be beaten by a modded max. I'm saying that it's a close enough race with a NA max to warrent that a modded Max can win. If your brother has honestly been putting mods on Max's for 5 years, he should know that too, or maybe he hasn't put much on them.

As for the trannies... the I30's tranny holds up better than the standard Max tranny. Everything has it's treshold. Maybe the CL-S, with 260HP was made to take a level more abuse than the Max's, after all, the crank does put out 70 more HP.

Huge difference in performance is right. The CL was designed as a sporty coupe, the Max is a sporty sedan. The CL has an extra .2 liters to work with and Vtec. It is a higher output engine.

I'm sure he can tune a CL-S to put out 300+ HP, but that's not the discussion. If you wanna talk about who's car is ultimately faster than who's due to mods... it'll be a long conversation about nothing. There's always someone faster. There are 4 cylinder's out there that would woop on your beloved CL-S. But then again, it all comes down to how much money you've got. .

Ultimately, it's all about taste in cars to begin with. I like the CL. It's a nice car, with great power.

But I preffer my Max.

Don't forget to ask your buddy about the drive-train loss. After all, it doesn't matter what your crank churns out, it's what the pavement gets.

Not trying to flame you, nor start a flame war, but I believe that you're overstating the stock performance of the CL-S. eace:

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35