Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 05:31 PM   #1
MaximumBrian
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MaximumBrian Send a message via AIM to MaximumBrian
Ok guys to answer that question once and for all.

Let's take any normal car that comes in both a stick and an automatic.

A BMW 328is (~1999) - This car comes in both auto and stick. It compares to the Maxima in performance. The stick shift 328is does 0-60 in 6.6-6.8 seconds. The automatic version does it in 7.1-7.3 seconds. So basically add 1/2 a second on. Automatics have gotten pretty good that it's just about 1/2 a second to the 0-60.

That BMW is the average example of an automatic vs. stick comparison.

Now Ferrari on the 355 F1 created a somewhat hydraulic triptronic padel shifting thing. The numbers are actually the same as the stick, actually a bit faster. Ferrari drivers are plagued with the slotted gate shifting machnism. It's hard to get the shifter into gear, and they cannot do it as fast as normal cars. Thus, this somewhat automatic transmission is better than the stick, but I'd still get the stick cause it's more fun.

The Ferrari is an example of when an automatic might be a better performer. One of a few that is like this.

The Acura NSX is another story. Acura gave the Automatic NSX another engine. Not only does it suffer from the 10-15% drivetrain power loss, it suffers from an engine that makes 20-30 less flywheel horsepower. 0-60 times on an NSX stick are 5.3 seconds, the auto's are doing it in 6.6-6.9 seconds. Pretty depressing for an exotic.

The NSX is the worst comparison between the two.

Where does the Maxima fall. It is perhaps the second worse comparison. Stick Maxima's in 95 were doing 0-60 in 6.6-6.7 seconds (Motortrend), the autos in 7.7-7.9. Ouch that's 1.2 seconds. The reasoning behind this. The Maxima's 5spd tranny is designed purely for performance. The gearing is perfect. Especially our 5th gear. Stock Maxima Sticks have no problem reaching 140+ MPH, and it does it quickly and confidently. The auto is designed for grandma and grandpa. The revs are kept low for a comfortable ride. Thus, 4th gear is a total overdrive where no real useable power is obtainable. Thus, the top speed falls off around 120MPH.

You need to realize that these might as well be two different cars. 530I Automatic vs. 540I Stick, that's almost the comparison here.

So people who are complaining that their automatic Maxima's are getting beat by other cars, and are getting pissed because everyone hails the Maxima as this incredibly quick car. Well they need to realize that the incredibly quick Maxima is the stick, and the nice luxury car that rides so nice, and is bang for the buck is the auto Max.

Any performance enthusiast needs to buy a 5Spd.

Amen

Mods: Stillen 5 Piece Aero Kit / 5Zigen GT8 17" Rims / Nitto NT555 ZR-W 235/45/17 Tires / Suspension Techniques Modified Springs / Tokico Blues / Stillen Front Strut Tower Bar / Stillen Rear Sway Bar / Greddy Catback Exhaust / Cattman Y-Pipe / Random Tech 2.5" Straight Through Cat Converter / PR Cold Air Intake Adapter / Stillen ShortRam Intake with Velocity Stack / GForce 96 ECU (Testing for Maximadriver.com/Cheston) / Stillen Carbon Fiber Dash / Clear'd Amber Out of Taillights / Courtesy Front Clear Corners / SS Brake Lines / Porterfield Pads / Cut Shift Handle / Autolite Titanium Spark Plugs / B&M Carbon Fiber Shift Knob / Razo Carbon Fiber Pedals / JL 12W3 12" / Kenwood 650 Watt Amp / Redline MTF / Mobil 1 5w30 every 2500 miles / Wax every 3 months
180 FWHP - 186 TQ [Before Cat & ECU] (Outside 90F, one small worthless fan) / Estimate Power (w/ Cat & ECU) 190 FWHP - 200 TQ / 14.7 @ 94 [Before Cat & ECU] (Pomona 01/2001 - Cool/Overcast day)
http://www.brianv.net

Who wants some???

Support my business so I can mod my Maxima - http://www.vsdev.com
MaximumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 03:04 PM   #2
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

agreed
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 05:20 PM   #3
bobo_80
AF Regular

Unhappy mann....!!

well....after looking at what u just said.....my hopes are all gone for my car.....0~60 in 7~8 sec...??...i alwayse thought it ws somewhere around 6.7~6.8
....this is bad....can i make my car faster.......well it`s wierd cuz i raced lots of cars like I30 and we r just about the same.....how could it be 7~8.....ahhhhhh
by the way my car is 99` max SE...yeh one last thing....
...2000,I30, does 0~60 in 7 secs rite?....well it`s automatic trans??
bobo_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 06:08 PM   #4
MaximumBrian
AF Regular

Your car is an I30 so that's why you're staying the same. Actually Max's are a bit lighter you should pull away.

The enw I30 has more power and the 5th gen auto trannies are a little sportier than 4th gens.

6-7 seconds is definately a 5spd Maxima.
Mods: Stillen 5 Piece Aero Kit / 5Zigen GT8 17" Rims / Nitto NT555 ZR-W 235/45/17 Tires / Suspension Techniques Modified Springs / Tokico Blues / Stillen Front Strut Tower Bar / Stillen Rear Sway Bar / Greddy Catback Exhaust / Cattman Y-Pipe / Random Tech 2.5" Straight Through Cat Converter / PR Cold Air Intake Adapter / Stillen ShortRam Intake with Velocity Stack / GForce 96 ECU (Testing for Maximadriver.com/Cheston) / Stillen Carbon Fiber Dash / Clear'd Amber Out of Taillights / Courtesy Front Clear Corners / SS Brake Lines / Porterfield Pads / Cut Shift Handle / Autolite Titanium Spark Plugs / B&M Carbon Fiber Shift Knob / Razo Carbon Fiber Pedals / JL 12W3 12" / Kenwood 650 Watt Amp / Redline MTF / Mobil 1 5w30 every 2500 miles / Wax every 3 months
180 FWHP - 186 TQ [Before Cat & ECU] (Outside 90F, one small worthless fan) / Estimate Power (w/ Cat & ECU) 190 FWHP - 200 TQ / 14.7 @ 94 [Before Cat & ECU] (Pomona 01/2001 - Cool/Overcast day)

Who wants some???

Old 03-28-2001, 08:32 PM   #5
iamit
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to iamit
top speed

i have an auto 98 MAX SE, the top speed is NOT 120, as posted above, I have driven it at 135.

Just thought I would let you all know.

There were no performance mods at the time.
Old 03-29-2001, 01:06 AM   #6
MaximumBrian
AF Regular

I said it basically dies at 120, meaning it doesn't pull hard in 4th

Who wants some???

Old 03-29-2001, 06:51 PM   #7
Lordrandall
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Lordrandall Send a message via AIM to Lordrandall Send a message via Yahoo to Lordrandall
Amen Brother! Stick or Die!!!!

Old 03-31-2001, 01:42 PM   #8
Max2NV
AF Newbie

Lemme me hear you say AMEN!!
I couldn't have said it better!!
Max2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 07:15 PM   #9
buss95max
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to buss95max
ehhh...
i got my auto up to 140mph..

5spd is faster than the auto..

i like my auto..it doesnt bother me that much that i dont have a 5th gear..if i had a 5th gear i'd prolly have a suspended license.

btw...its up to the driver...

ive beaten 5spd maximas...

buss95max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 08:12 PM   #10
MaximumBrian
AF Regular

hmm buss any stock 5spd max should be able to take any auto max. Even if the auto has intake, y, and exhaust.

Who wants some???

Old 04-03-2001, 09:37 PM   #11
buss95max
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to buss95max
well.....

if you woulda gone to palmdale and seen me race a 5spd max..you woulda saw me beat him by .3...

yes he was a 5spd..

we both had 17s on...

and HE had an intake...

i was still stock at the time...

way before that i raced a 5spd with intake and exhaust from a rolling start..at around 25mph...i beat him by 1 1/2 car length...

i had my g/f with me in my car...i dont mention this much around the max forums.cuz whos gonna believe me?

i hardly ever race other maximas...heck where i live i go up against mustangs, el caminos, monte carlos all day.

5spd guys always look down on the automatics...
thats cool with me..i look down on the 5spd guys that cant drive..
buss95max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 07:57 AM   #12
NissanZ@af
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NissanZ@af
Damnit, I had my hopes up about a '90 Maxima that I'm gonna test drive tomorrow. The car had leather, moonroof, power everything, keyless entry, and a nice stereo for $2800, but it's a damn automatic!
Old 04-04-2001, 03:38 PM   #13
bobo_80
AF Regular

well......

humm..........after all i still think a 4 speed max is good enough.....yeh i agree.....i'll already get my licence
suspended with my 4 speed.....if it's a 5 speed....??...i'll prababily get arrested and sent to jail....^^
Old 04-06-2001, 01:31 PM   #14
bobo_80
AF Regular

Talking you have to know this............!!

okok....i went and took my car for run yesterday......i discovered that if ur above 20~30km/h
.......the most downshift the automatic will do for you is 2nd gear.......if u wanna drive fast
from that speed......shift into the 1st gear and full throtle.....the car lunches like a rocket...
.......when u reach about 6200RPM, shift into 2nd gear and press the O/D.....so it says O/D
off on the panel................let the 2nd gear reach about 6400RPM and shift in to (D).....
....since the over drive is off the gear will maintain in 3rd gear.....and the speed is still rising fast
.........trust me all the ppl who owns a auto max should try it......it's alsome...^^...!!
Old 04-06-2001, 01:37 PM   #15
bobo_80
AF Regular

ohh yeh......

ohh yeh i forgot to tell u guys......turn off the traction control......!!...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35