Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
ryanusrey2012
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mio, Michigan
Posts: 43
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

I have a 90 K1500 and as it has a lift kit on it including body lift so there is an auxillary electric fan instead of mechanical. One day i was driving my battery fell out of place and the plastic got melted off by a heater core hose. Ever since then everything electrical (except the starter) is only working half stat. It is not the battery or the terminal because i replaced them both. I found a broken chassis ground (firewall to frame) and replaced it and it did not fix the problem. My question is, did i replace the wrong ground or put it in the wrong spot or am i supposed to attach the ground from firewall to engine block? this is a 5.7 350 tbi with 227,XXX miles on it.
ryanusrey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
jdl
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: lindsay, Oklahoma
Posts: 794
Thanks: 1
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

With vehicle running, the alternator should supply voltage to electricals. Is the charging system, working?
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: EVERETT, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,848
Thanks: 6
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanusrey2012 View Post
I have a 90 K1500 and as it has a lift kit on it including body lift so there is an auxillary electric fan instead of mechanical. One day i was driving my battery fell out of place and the plastic got melted off by a heater core hose. Ever since then everything electrical (except the starter) is only working half stat. It is not the battery or the terminal because i replaced them both. I found a broken chassis ground (firewall to frame) and replaced it and it did not fix the problem. My question is, did i replace the wrong ground or put it in the wrong spot or am i supposed to attach the ground from firewall to engine block? this is a 5.7 350 tbi with 227,XXX miles on it.
the engine need be grounded to the sheet metal body metal . the battery ground goes to the engine block and the body ground also
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: the Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
Posts: 825
Thanks: 8
Thanked 56 Times in 56 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
the engine need be grounded to the sheet metal body metal . the battery ground goes to the engine block and the body ground also
More accurately, the body needs to be grounded to the engine, which has the main ground cable to the negative post of the battery.
__________________
.
.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of an engineered virus from their Wuhan laboratory. Two trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
ryanusrey2012 (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
ryanusrey2012
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mio, Michigan
Posts: 43
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
With vehicle running, the alternator should supply voltage to electricals. Is the charging system, working?
yes the charging system does work when running but as i drive down the road everything electrical in the vehicle will be working half stat and will sometimes very briefly flicker back on to full power than go back. This also affects all my gauges
ryanusrey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
ryanusrey2012
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mio, Michigan
Posts: 43
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

So what you guys are saying is where the ground from the battery runs to the block i need to run another wire from there to the body, not the firewall?
ryanusrey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
jdl
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: lindsay, Oklahoma
Posts: 794
Thanks: 1
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

I've seen faulty battery cable cause flickering. A lot of makes and models have negative battery cable going to alternator bracket.

I've seen the negative battery cable connected to the engine, where it was almost impossible to get at. When replacing the cable, I moved it to the alternator bracket. Everything worked fine and easy to get at.

intermittent issues can be a pain to track.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: the Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
Posts: 825
Thanks: 8
Thanked 56 Times in 56 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanusrey2012 View Post
everything electrical (except the starter) is only working half stat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanusrey2012 View Post
everything electrical in the vehicle will be working half stat
1. What, exactly, is "half stat"?

2. I would be looking at the lighter-gauge (perhaps 10 or 8 gauge) cable that is supposed to be part of the main positive battery cable, which supplies power to the distribution system under the plastic cover on the right side of the firewall.
__________________
.
.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of an engineered virus from their Wuhan laboratory. Two trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
ryanusrey2012
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mio, Michigan
Posts: 43
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
1. What, exactly, is "half stat"?

2. I would be looking at the lighter-gauge (perhaps 10 or 8 gauge) cable that is supposed to be part of the main positive battery cable, which supplies power to the distribution system under the plastic cover on the right side of the firewall.
hmmm before i replaced the terminals i knid of did suspect that positive wire and when i hooked it up i did not exactly ensure that it had good conection ill check that out. And when i said "half stat" i meant exactly that it is all working on low voltage.
ryanusrey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
aleekat
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 1,455
Thanks: 10
Thanked 156 Times in 152 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanusrey2012 View Post
hmmm before i replaced the terminals i knid of did suspect that positive wire and when i hooked it up i did not exactly ensure that it had good conection ill check that out. And when i said "half stat" i meant exactly that it is all working on low voltage.
Did you replace just the terminals or the entire cables?
Corrosion can be down under the insulation causing all types of current draw issues.
__________________
Post back, that's what makes Forums Work.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
j cAT
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: EVERETT, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,848
Thanks: 6
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanusrey2012 View Post
I have a 90 K1500 and as it has a lift kit on it including body lift so there is an auxillary electric fan instead of mechanical. One day i was driving my battery fell out of place and the plastic got melted off by a heater core hose. Ever since then everything electrical (except the starter) is only working half stat. It is not the battery or the terminal because i replaced them both. I found a broken chassis ground (firewall to frame) and replaced it and it did not fix the problem. My question is, did i replace the wrong ground or put it in the wrong spot or am i supposed to attach the ground from firewall to engine block? this is a 5.7 350 tbi with 227,XXX miles on it.
lets say you have good cables. clean connections no green colored wire etc /// which I doubt is the case here . then we get into loose fuse sockets and the fuse links that are hidden in the wire loom sometimes.

with your "the battery fell " tells me a lot about this trucks condition and care .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
ryanusrey2012
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mio, Michigan
Posts: 43
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: 1990 Chevy K1500 Ground issue?

Well I ran a new ground from the top of the engine block to the body and it resolved my problem thank you guys for your input. It is still dropping 60mV across the body ground system but i believe that is acceptable right?
ryanusrey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Bookmarks

Tags
electrical, engine, ground, lights
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts