Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
southtowniceman
AF Newbie

'96 Tacoma question

I have a '96 Tacoma,4 w/d, standard 5 speed, that experienced a stalling problem after restarting a warm engine, and a black exhause pipe. It was suggested in this forum to clean the MAF sensor and clean the throttle body, which I did. Now I believe I have created another problem, but I'm not sure. So here's what's happening now. When the engine is cold, it will idle at about 1500 rpm until the engine gets warm, then idles at about 1000 rpm. When driving and slowing to a stop, the rpm will be 1000. Once the clutch is disengaged, the rpm will jump to 1500 and stay there for 12-15 seconds after comming to a stop, then drop back to 1000 rpm. If I just rev the engine in neutral, the rpm immediately drops back to 1000. The only time I experience the delayed drop in rpm is after driving a short distance. I've pulled the vacuum tube off the dash pot and the plunger moves outward and increases the rpm. After reinstalling, the vacuum pulls the plunger in and rpm can return to 1000. Is there a problem? It seems as if what ever controlls the vacuum to the dash pot, is keeping the rpm too high for too long. No adjustments have ever been made since the truck was new. This excessively long delay only developed after cleaning the throttle body. I used CRC throttle body cleaner, and I caught as much dirt as I could, by placing rags in the throttle opening. I need to know if this is in fact a problem, or if now it's operating normally. Thanks
Tom
southtowniceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

Re: '96 Tacoma question

First, have you made sure there are no vac leaks? Next I would check the idle air controller. It is located on the bottom of the throttle body. You may also want to check the MAF with a multimeter to make sure it is still good.

Please wheel responsibly.
http://www.treadlightly.org/
TcmaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
southtowniceman
AF Newbie

As far as I can determine, there are no vacuum leaks. I did a search on various sites as to how to check out the MAF sensor and the idle air controller, but came up blank. Any suggestions as to what to do, to see if these components are working correctly?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Tom; Although this link is for a 2003 shop manual the components should be similar. Go to volume 2
Instructions for checking the MAF are on page SF 23.
Instructions for checking the idle air control is on page SF33
http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/

Hope this helps.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

The 2003 FSM checks won't help. In 99/00 the EFI parts changed. I fished out my 97 FSM.

This is for your MAF, but I don't think it is a MAF problem. It is more likely a problem with the throttle body, throttle opener, throttle cable, or IAC.

This is for the TPS

I have been thinking your problem over. First off with the motor off try to move the throttle by hand. Try to feel for sticky spots. Open it up and let it shut on its own. Then try to close it further by hand. Then do it with the engine running. When you try to close it by hand listen for the idle to kick down. Your TB may not be fully closing. Look down inside it to see if the butterfly valve is out of round, or if there are any places where it has been digging into the walls of the TB. If it is just a bit sticky a bit of car wax on the inside will help lube it up along with a good spray of WD-40 on the linkage. I would pull the idle air controller which is located on the bottom of the throttle body and check to make sure it is clean and not clogged up. When you are doing your testing make sure the AC is off.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
southtowniceman
AF Newbie

I printed out the instructions and will make a futile attempt at checking things out. If anything else comes to mine, please post it here. I'll share my results, as soon as I finish. Thanks for taking the time.
Tom
Old 09-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
southtowniceman
AF Newbie

Well, I looked for the idle air controller and throttle position sensor and I'm not sure I have the right items located. On the bottom of the throttle body is a small unit attached with 4 phillips head screws, to which a hose from the dash pot goes, along with a couple of small coolant hoses. On the back side of it is a white plastic unit with an electrical plug attached. Is this the throttle position sensor and idle air controller? I couldn't remove anything for lack of room, so I removed the throttle body off the manifold. Naturally the gasket ripped. Anyway, once I found coolant was in a couple of those hoses, I decided to stop, and find out if I was looking at the right parts. I tried my best to hook up an ohm meter to what I thought was the sensor, but the best I got was 45 ohms. No change in ohm reading by moving the throttle. Did I locate the right units??? I did spray some more cleaner around the throttle body while it was off. Once everything was back together, I restarted the engine. Now the idle is up to 2000 rpm when first started, then drops back to 1000 after everything warms up. Plus the check engine light came on. I disconnected the battery for a while to get the light to go off.
PLEASE let me know if I'm working on the right parts? Thanks
Tom
Old 09-07-2006, 12:58 AM   #8
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

Well, at least you found the right parts. You need to pull that code, and maybe find a friend to help.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD