Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
RayaSunshine
AF Newbie

2x as much oil, now what?

I have looked up a few other questions but their cars only had a little over, mine was ridiculous. I got my oil changed at wal-mart, first mistake right there I know.

I own a 1999 Toyota Camry. I got my oil changed about 2 weeks ago. The other night, the car died. I thought the battery died so we jumped it and attempted to finish driving home. On the way tons of smoke came out of the exhaust and hood. Opened the hood and the exhaust area was glowing red hot. Had the car towed and discovered there was about twice as much oil as necessary. So my real question is after draining oil what now? What should I check for damage?
RayaSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2x as much oil, now what?

Have a back pressure test done on your catalytic converters, extra oil could of contaminated
or cause blockage.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: 2x as much oil, now what?

Sounds like you had one of two things happened:

1) you lost timing from a slipped timing belt and by driving it too far caused a head gasket failure from the excess heat by driving the car in a very fuel-rich condition.

2) You have one or more plug wires shorting to ground, broken, or making poor contact also resulting in the excess fuel in the exhaust and resulting in the aforementioned head gasket failure.

I don't think there is excess oil in the pan. If you drain it, you'll see coolant (or a chocolatey mixture) come out first since oil is lighter than water thus floats on top. You won't see it on the dipstick since it isn't long enough.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
camry , engine , oil
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista