Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Storm
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
CDoasis
AF Newbie

91 Geo Storm GSi, key won't turn at all

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 91 Storm GSi. I've owned it for about a week. It made it all the way home from where I bought it (2 hours away) without a problem. I found that to be impressive. It has 169,000 miles.

Now all of a sudden, when I was about to start it up to show my buddy, the key won't turn! I tried turning the steering wheel at first, which didn't help, finally the wheel locked up. I wiggled the key over and over, tried it with the clutch in and out, messed with the shifter, parking brake, etc. My friend, who is a mechanic, also tried it. The key is just stuck in the lock position. If I have the door open and the key in it'll beep, but nothing else. What's wrong with it?
CDoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
CDoasis
AF Newbie

Re: 91 Geo Storm GSi, key won't turn at all

Well I finally got it to turn, 2 or so months ago... it turned after I yanked the wheel really hard to the left, even though it was in a locked position. It hasn't done it again... until now.

I sat in the car for about 40 minutes moving the wheel around and trying it, with no success. I think the tumblers in the lock are broken. Anyone have any other ideas?

I decided I'm going to install a manual start switch. The reason for this is that the ignition part that's needed costs $156, not counting labor to install it. Yeah forget that.
So does anyone have a Haynes manual for this car, and could show me the wiring diagram for the ignition so that I could install a manual start switch?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
viperh
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to viperh Send a message via Yahoo to viperh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDoasis
Well I finally got it to turn, 2 or so months ago... it turned after I yanked the wheel really hard to the left, even though it was in a locked position. It hasn't done it again... until now.

I sat in the car for about 40 minutes moving the wheel around and trying it, with no success. I think the tumblers in the lock are broken. Anyone have any other ideas?

I decided I'm going to install a manual start switch. The reason for this is that the ignition part that's needed costs $156, not counting labor to install it. Yeah forget that.
So does anyone have a Haynes manual for this car, and could show me the wiring diagram for the ignition so that I could install a manual start switch?
I had the same problem with my tracker. I had a spare key cut and when I tried it it locked everything up. It got to the point where I twist to the start and slowly pull the key out and it twisted. It ttakes some jiggling and pulling the key slighty out to work. Its cut just like the original key but for some reason I have to give it the ol jiggle and pull. Hopefully your problem is as simple as that.

-nate
viperh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
CDoasis
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperh
I had the same problem with my tracker. I had a spare key cut and when I tried it it locked everything up. It got to the point where I twist to the start and slowly pull the key out and it twisted. It ttakes some jiggling and pulling the key slighty out to work. Its cut just like the original key but for some reason I have to give it the ol jiggle and pull. Hopefully your problem is as simple as that.

-nate
It seems like I tried just about everything, but I'll give it another shot. I tried pulling it out a little but that didn't seem to work. Jiggling it, I did that alot to no avail...
Thanks though, I'll give that a try, because I think my keys are copies too.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Jonny Roden
AF Newbie

If your keys are copies and not the original that could definitly be your problem I have 1993 geo storm and I only have one key that works for the ignition I have had several keys copied for it from several places and for some reason all the copies will unlock my doors and slide in my ignition but it wont turn the ignition over. Try going to a locksmith and have them cut you a key. I believe they have a code that they can cut them from but they may the ignition to do it.
Jonny Roden is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Storm