Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
folksyvolksy
AF Newbie

Advice on buying from dealerships!

Hello all! I am looking to buy a new car from a dealership in the Bay Area, but I'm not quite sure what the experience is like, what to expect, and how to prepare for it. I would appreciate any advice/stories about your car buying experience. How should I prepare myself? What worked for you? What didn't work for you? What should I look for in a good/bad dealership?

Any comment is appreciated! If you have any experience with buying a Volkswagen (looking into this brand) or from a Bay Area dealership, that would be awesome as well. Thanks so much
folksyvolksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
vinadvisor
AF Newbie

Re: Advice on buying from dealerships!

It's all about preparation. If buying new, start with mfg sites; they have the best detail on models, trims, option packages and prices. If you have a trade, stop into a CarMax to get a guaranteed purchase price - they buy cars every day, big wholesale operation - so you have a baseline value. If you're trading a Toyota into a Toyota dealer, they should be able to offer you a bit more than Carmax. Check your credit score, and most importantly, calculate your loan-to-value (LTV) when playing with pricing. Multiply MSRP by .92 to get an approx. value, then divide the amount you plan to finance (after trades & down payment) by the approx. value. Higher the LTV, the less likely you are to get a decent rate or approved, the lower the better.

Good luck.
vinadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
area , bay , dealership , volkswagen
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A