Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Shadow2201
AF Newbie

Car Can't Be Titled In US?

So I inquired about a car that was listed "For Parts". Figured I'd see what was wrong, if it wasn't a horribly expensive fix, it'd still be a great deal on the car. I emailed them and was told "This car can't be titled in the US ever". Any thoughts on what that means? Why that would be? Is it something to do with where it's from, what's wrong with it, etc?
Shadow2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Car Can't Be Titled In US?

It would help if you told us what kind of car it is.

Also there are a list of cars that can and cannot be legally imported into the US. It all has to do with certain crash testing, emissions etc.

After a car reaches 25 years old though it becomes "exempt" and can be brought in, but it will still cost a fair amount to get it here and get it legal.

Ironically the Mitsubishi GTO (same as the 3000GT and Stealth) cannot be legally brought to the US. Well now the 1991 models can be because they are at the 25 year mark.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
Shadow2201
AF Newbie

Re: Car Can't Be Titled In US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
It would help if you told us what kind of car it is.

Also there are a list of cars that can and cannot be legally imported into the US. It all has to do with certain crash testing, emissions etc.

After a car reaches 25 years old though it becomes "exempt" and can be brought in, but it will still cost a fair amount to get it here and get it legal.

Ironically the Mitsubishi GTO (same as the 3000GT and Stealth) cannot be legally brought to the US. Well now the 1991 models can be because they are at the 25 year mark.
Sorry I forgot to mention the kind of car it is. It is a 2008 Buick Lucerne CXL. It has 55k miles on it. I was told it had water damage, but it still runs fine. Didn't figure water damage would prevent it from being titlable in the US.
Shadow2201 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A