Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > HHR
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
ken531953
AF Newbie

programming a keyless entry key fob

Anyone out there know how to program a remote entry key fob for a 2006 Chevy HHR. Lost mine and got one on eBay but don't know how to program it. Any info greatly appreciated.
ken531953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Old Lar
AF Regular

Re: programming a keyless entry key fob

From an HHR specific forum, the answer I received was back to the dealer for the reprogramming.
Old Lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 AM   #3
Onblsht
Authorized Vendor

Yup, Dealer only remotes.
Onblsht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Key FOB programming is definately not a dealer only job, as much as they'd like you to think it is! Try this procedure. It's a pretty standard procedure across the GM line: (write-up compliments of nat3ten from trailblazer forum)

"1 SIT IN VEHICLE AND CLOSE DOOR

2 HOLD FINGER DOWN ON UNLOCK POWER DOOR LOCK SWITCH ON DRIVERS DOOR.

3 put key in ignition, TURN IGNITION ON / OFF , ON / OFF.LEAVE KEY IN IGNITION.(DO NOT START VEHICLE, ON POSITION IS THE POSITION BEFORE START)

4 RELEASE FINGER FROM POWER DOOR LOCK.POWER DOOR LOCKS WILL CYCLE.(JUMP UP AND DOWN)

5 PRESS AND HOLD BOTH THE LOCK AND UNLOCK BUTTONS ON NEW REMOTE UNTILL YOU HEAR POWER DOOR LOCKS CYCLE.(JUMP UP AND DOWN) YOU MAY HAVE TO HOLD BOTH BUTTONS DOWN FOR 5- 20 SECONDS.

6 TAKE 2ND NEW , OR OLD REMOTE AND HOLD BOTH UNLOCK AND LOCK BUTTONS DOWN UNTILL LOCKS CYCLE.(MAY TAKE 5- 20 SECONDS)

7 TURN KEY ON, THEN OFF.
YOU ARE DONE, EXIT VEHICLE AND TRY YOUR REMOTE."

Joel
Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
Onblsht
Authorized Vendor

That procedure will not work. It is for earlier style remotes. (98-02 Blazer and other GM models) The HHR uses a completely different receiver and remote type which must be programmed with a scantool.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onblsht
That procedure will not work. It is for earlier style remotes. (98-02 Blazer and other GM models) The HHR uses a completely different receiver and remote type which must be programmed with a scantool.
Man that bites. I know that procedure worked on my 2005 trailblazer (GM T360 chassis). I've done 3-4 GMs that way.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
daharris
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: programming a keyless entry key fob

Regarding this procedure, I bought an extra key fob for my 2008 Trailblazer at my local Chevy dealership. I was told by two people at the dealership that the only way to program it to the car was for them to hook it up to their equipment at the cost of $45.00. I tried this procedure and it worked perfectly the first time through. Thanks for saving me $45.00.
daharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
2003Silverado
AF Newbie

It may not work for the HHR, but is sure did for my 2003 Chevy Silverado. Thank you Rodeo02!!

My battery died for my remote/FOB and after replacing the battery the FOB did not open the doors. I read the manual and found out that the FOB had to be re-synced to the truck. I searched the web and found your thread and man I'm glad I did. The dealer said that replacing the FOB was $61 plus tax.

Thanks Rodeo02 for saving me the $$ and time and frustration with programming the Key FOB.
2003Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
pgto
AF Newbie

Wish it had worked. My 2009 HHR didn't like it. Thanks for the option to try.
pgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
Onblsht
Authorized Vendor

Yes, those instructions will work on several earlier GM models, but NOT the HHR type remotes.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
mike1223
AF Newbie

I can't figure out how to program my HHR but I was able to buy a unit on ebay for $23 that was $88 at the dealer. Now I guess I just gotta take it there to program it because I sure don't see the option in the menu on my dash board.
mike1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
Onblsht
Authorized Vendor

Dealer or locksmith only for the HHR programming.

Make sure you have the correct remote FCC or Part number as well. We have heard of dealerships charging customers the labor to program despite knowing the incorrect remote won't work, and then sending the customer home with the wrong remote that can't be programmed.

http://originalkeyless.com/searchqui...c?keywords=HHR
Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #13
Toddyg
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Toddyg
Smile Re: programming a keyless entry key fob

I wanted to add something to this post that many people don't even think to try.

Like some of the posts prior, I went the dealership and got rapped with a fob that I purchased off ebay. They told me that it didn't work but of course, their parts dept. had one and that one did! So I walked out paying $160 for a new fob. Dealerships piss me off. I'm writing this to hopefully save you some cash and headache, please post if it works for you.

In many cases the key fob still works, but corrosion has built up on the battery contacts inside the fob. It won't always be detectable by the naked eye, so just try this first.

Take a dull knife or some other tool and pop open your key fob, the HHR fob is simple to open. There is a waterproof seal around the edge so it will take a little prying. It's already broke, so you can't ruin it. Remove the battery. I suggest replacing it with brand new battery to eliminate the possibility of a bad battery, I believe it's a CR2032, they are only $3-$4. They are sold most anywhere but if you don't want to have to look long go to your nearest battery store, Batteries Plus, Interstate, Wholesale Batteries etc.. These places can quickly test your old battery if you so wish.

Grab a Q-tip and put some lemon juice on one end. Wipe all areas that the battery makes contact, there are three, 2 prongs and the base. Generally the base is the issue. Use the other side of the Q-tips to dry. Replace battery and test with vehicle again.

I am writing this because after purchasing the new fob I came home and used this procedure on my old fob. It worked =.= That's the exact face I made.

Also, I used to work for Batteries Plus. Many fobs, like that of the HHR, are fixed following this procedure. The other issue you see quite a bit is one of the prongs coming unsoldered inside the fob. If you take it to Batteries Plus they will check this for you free of charge, and may be kind enough to quickly solder it back in place for free, or very cheap, as well.

Give it a shot and again, please post if it works for you!
Toddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Repairing key fobs for free, by soldering joints? In what dream world do you live in?

For those buying key fobs on Ebay, make sure the fob is the SAME NUMBER that's on the back of the old one......

One other point....in some vehicles, only a limited number of fobs can be programmed...for example, maybe your vehicle only allows only 4 fobs per vehicle......if somewhere along the line two were lost or misplaced during selling of the vehicle previously, and then 2 more are programmed, then you are maxed out.....now if one goes bad, even if you buy a new one for replacement, it won't program.......it can be done though, but you have to remove all four previous fobs from the memory of the module.....unfortunately only a dealer can do that, with their special scan tool.....

One other thing, if you are replacing a remote, you have to bring all your existing remotes to have them all programmed at the same time....in some cases, if you just program a new remote(without the old ones), it wipes the old programming out....this means the new one will work, and the old ones, which previously did work, will no longer work......

GM remotes were crazy.....they were all different......they use to have "manual" ways of reprogramming(varied by model and year).....but all the new ones need a GM scan tool....

If you buy one from Ebay, a dealership will have to program it....like I said, make sure it is the correct number.......call around to different GM shops to get your best price for programming.....it takes less than 15 minutes to program the vehicle.....so whatever the labor rate is, divide it by 4, that is what you should expect to pay.........let your fingers do the walking....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
rquigl03
AF Newbie

Quote:
Repairing key fobs for free, by soldering joints? In what dream world do you live in?
I'm not sure if you're being dismissive of the "free" part or the idea that it's the joints that could be causing the issue. But I can tell you from experience and the experience of my co-workers that this is a major issue w/ Chevy key fobs.

I'd been having trouble w/ mine for quite some time. I figured it was a battery issue so I took mine to Auto Zone and they popped it open. It was the brackets holding the battery that were the issue, not the battery itself. They had completely come undone. They weren't willing to mess w/ it b/c of liability issues, but they told me to find someone with a soldering machine b/c that's all the issue was.

I don't know anyone w/ that kind of machine so I just struggled along. I finally got so angry that I popped the fob myself and Super Glued the pieces back to their framework...whatdaknow...it worked.

Before running to the dealer to have them scam you, I would highly suggest popping the fob open. If the brackets holding the battery are lose, that's your issue and you just need to figure out how to hold the battery in place. Super Glue worked for me.
rquigl03 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > HHR