Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9-5
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
ReverendWrong
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ReverendWrong
Question vibration at low rpm on 2001 9-5 auto

I recently purchased a 2001 9-5 automatic (base model) with about 45K miles. It is a certified pre-owned Saab I got from a local dealer so it's still under warranty. Shortly after I purchased it, I noticed it started vibrating when idling while in gear. I took it back to the dealer who examined the car and replaced one of the motor mounts, but the problem persists. The vibration continues when driving slowing until the engines passes about 1800rpm. I've taken to putting the car in neutral at stop lights to diminish the vibration and am noticing more and more rattles in the interior that I think may be due to the frequent vibration.

I've taken the car back to the dealer, but they claim everything is within spec and this problem is not uncommon in the 9-5s prior to 2002 when they changed the motor mounts and the computer to address this issue.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is the dealer trying to blow-off a problem that could be difficult or expensive to fix?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
ReverendWrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
mbunakeith
AF Regular

Re: vibration at low rpm on 2001 9-5 auto

there is a bulletin to offset the engine idle to reduce the vibration. if the mouonts are ok, i have to say the worst case scenario that i have seen is ugly. the balance chain pulleys wear out and the balance shafts quit turning. it makes the whole car vibrate pretty bad. if that is it, the dealer can fix your timing cover leak at the same time!!! there is also a bulletin out there for engine noise/oil pressure issues. might want to research that a bit. have the dealer print it out for you. we have seen a lot of problems with the 9-5s wearing out the timing and balance chains. causes a rattle noise in engine and your oil pressure light might come on. if your car is ok, i recommend changing your oil every 3000 miles if youo stick with semi-synthetic. if you want to stretch oil changes out a bit, go with full synthetic and change the oil and filter every 5 or 6000 miles. these engines sludge up very easily. your cat converter is right under the oilpan and cooks the oil to a crisp. we have 9-5s in the shop continually for this. i jsut got done with one the other day.
mbunakeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
ReverendWrong
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ReverendWrong

Sorry for the delay but want to say thanks for the helpful info.
I haven't seen the oil pressure light come on and while it vibrates while in gear, it subsides in Neutral or Park. Also (thankfully) no rattling. At times the vibration is worse than others but I think I've grown used it and don't really notice it most of the time.
ReverendWrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
mbunakeith
AF Regular

since the vibrating goes away when in neutral, i am pretty sure it isnt an engine thing going on. somethimes these things just vibrate for no good reason. we had one in the shop yesterday for the same reason and we were unable to find a reason why. mounts are good, engine good, etc...who knows?
glad to see that it isnt really bugging you anymore. just make sure you change your oil often. go by the 3000 mile rule. dont stretch them out to 5000 like saab recommends or you will have some big, expensive repairs in the future. good luck.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
fungo45
AF Newbie

I noticed something similar on my 2002 Aero. I brought it in last week for some other things and had them take a look at that too. It wasn't bad to begin with, but it was noticeable. When I mentioned it to the tech he told me that was an easy fix like he had done it many times before. They ended up adjusting the "base idle" - that's what it says on the bill. It still does it, though not as bad.
fungo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
mbunakeith
AF Regular

he raised the engine idle in drive and reverse. that is the "textbook" fix from saab, but it doesnt really do much. works in some and not in others. have any of you guys tried flushing your transmissions?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
jsmith27
AF Newbie

Idle vibration is common alot of people suffer from it. There may be nothing wrong with your car. The Saab dealership can raise the rpm (50). You can change your tranny fluid yourself its very easy.
jsmith27 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9-5