Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 11:30 AM   #1
mattZ71
AF Newbie

Question Info On Torsion Bar Adjustment?

I have a 01 Z71 and like most of them the front end sags. I would like to know the downfalls of adjusting the torsion bars. I know you have to get the front end realigned after making adjustments. When you adjust do you just measure your wheel well clearance tget them even. I would just like to gain maybe .500 to .750 of clearance in the front. It also states on the crossmember not to adjust the z movement more than the guidlines say in the service manual. I cant seem to find this in the service manual anywhere.

Does anyone know anywhere else that talks about torsion bar adjustments?

Last edited by mattZ71; 02-15-2004 at 02:30 PM.
mattZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
PipeDreamsMarine
AF Newbie

Re: Info On Torsion Bar Adjustment?

My 02 Silverado had the same problem with the front end sitting low. While I was at the dealer for a warranty issue, started talking to the Mech that did the front end work on trucks. He said that you can go 4 turns on the torsion bar adjusters without affecting the Caster and Camber of the front end and it should raise the front end to level. That night I jacked the truck up and put 4 turns on the adjusters and it allmost did the trick, I added one more turn and it was perfect, That was a while ago and I haven't seen any problems with tire wear or handling problems
PipeDreamsMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
surveyor-97
AF Newbie

Talking

just to let you know, this weekend I tightened the torsion bar adjustment bolts 5 turns on my 97 Z71. It raised the front end exactly 1 inch and only took about 15 minutes to do (I was trying to take my time and not screw something up). I am very impressed with the way it leveled up the front end. I will be watching the tires the next few weeks for any unusual wear, and I'll let you know what happens.
Helix 1" TB Spacer
A few Free Mods
surveyor-97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
TXAGG05
AF Regular

I put 4 turns on my '02 over xmas. I didn't get it aligned until last week. I rotated my tires at the same time and the front had a little more wear on the outsides of the tires. When I had it aligned they adjusted the camber so we'll see if it happens again. It may be just the nature of the IFS to wear funny, my buddy's tahoe had some wear issues with the front end.
Jeb
TXAGG05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:57 AM   #5
MacD997
AF Newbie

On my 01 Silverado Z71 I was told that the torsion bars were basically already at max. To my knowledge they had never beed adjusted. But the front does sit pretty low. Has any one put the F150 keys in?
MacD997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
Dizzytt
AF Newbie

I cranked my passenger side 5 turns and my drivers side 4 turns, which leveled the two sides and raised them. The back was at 38.5 to the fender directly over the center of the tire, the front was 35.75 at driver side, 35.375 at passenger side. Now they are at 36.875.

I am going to order the ford keys soon. I want the truck within .5" of level. Instructions for install are at:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/fordkeys.shtml
Dizzytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:42 PM   #7
ddoll64
AF Newbie

Question

Hello all, I have a 95 1/2 ton that I would also like to level out. I have heard about using the torsion bars to level it. The questions that I have on this is how do you adjust them, and when you say you turned them 5 rounds do you mean 5 whole rounds on the socket or would it be 5 flats of the bolt? Thanks any help clarifying this for me would be appreciated.
ddoll64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:28 PM   #8
ddoll64
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoll64
Hello all, I have a 95 1/2 ton that I would also like to level out. I have heard about using the torsion bars to level it. The questions that I have on this is how do you adjust them, and when you say you turned them 5 rounds do you mean 5 whole rounds on the socket or would it be 5 flats of the bolt? Thanks any help clarifying this for me would be appreciated.

Hello again, after looking it over again it looks pretty straight forward on the adjustment. But to make sure, I assume that you turn them clockwise to raise and counter clockwise to lower. Is this correct? Again thanks
Old 03-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #9
rositis
AF Newbie

Yes you are correct. It is a very straight forward adjustment. Turn it clockwise to raise, also its a complete turn of the bolt.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:11 PM   #10
ddoll64
AF Newbie

Thanks, will give it a try.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #11
Phix_06
AF Regular

I did the torsion key replacment with the f150's. It raised up the front end 3 inches bringing both the wheel wells to 40inches. The only downfall is that it rides slightly stiff but it also doesn't feel top heavy on sharp turns. You do have to have an allignment after the adjustment. One thing that you want to make sure is not to tighten the bars too tight much. You will notice it because it will feel as if there is no suspension in the front end and your tires will slam down if you go over a speed bump. I adjusted it so that there was only 4 visible threads above the adjustment brace.

Last edited by Phix_06; 03-21-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Phix_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:11 AM   #12
AlaskanZ71
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to AlaskanZ71
Re: Re: Info On Torsion Bar Adjustment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phix_06
I did the torsion key replacment with the f150's. It raised up the front end 3 inches bringing both the wheel wells to 40inches. The only downfall is that it rides slightly stiff but it also doesn't feel top heavy on sharp turns. You do have to have an allignment after the adjustment. One thing that you want to make sure is not to tighten the bars too tight much. You will notice it because it will feel as if there is no suspension in the front end and your tires will slam down if you go over a speed bump. I adjusted it so that there was only 4 visible threads above the adjustment brace.

So if i tighten the factory bars too tight will this happen as well?

2000 Silverado Z71 X-Cab
33" Mudd Rovers
Mudd Packed Fenders
Fully Tightened Torsion Bars
Aggressive Army Owner
AlaskanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:39 AM   #13
Phix_06
AF Regular

With the factory bars it should raise the front end up about 3/4 to 1 inch. The only other way that I can see adjusting it with out purchasing new keys it to take off the original key and move the key one setting down. Almost as if you were to move a wrench one setting over on a nut
Phix_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:32 AM   #14
buttnekked
AF Regular

I'm not sure there is enough room to do that. The ford keys have a lower ear but I don't think the difference is that much?
buttnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #15
scottdarling
AF Newbie

hello all i have a 2003 chevy silverado hd crew cab my question is is it normal for one side of the truck to sit a little lower then the other it has new tires on it can any one help thanks alot
scottdarling is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K