Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
aricsdaddy
AF Newbie

Question 2005 Grand Caravan Transmission Problem - No limp - No fault codes

I was out in my 2005 Grand Caravan SXT today when the transmission went south (3.8L and 4 Speed Auto).

I had just made a right turn and gave it some gas and felt the transmission change gear then all of a sudden the RPM's went high and I had no drive. On the shoulder I put the gear back into park (that worked) and then tried selecting drive again but the gear would not engage. I also tried L, 3rd and reverse and non of them would engage. I did not even get limp mode.

I then connected my OBD2 scanner and found no fault codes other than the EGR fault that had been on for about a week. The only things that seemed strange was a few days earlier the battery went dead and when I got the vehicle going again and went to put it in drive the gear engaged but the gear indicator shown it still in park. I then put it back in park and then in drive and it seemed to work fine. The other thing is the ignition switch seems a lot looser than it used to be.

All in all I had it towed to the shop and they seem to think that I need a new transmission, but I think it may be something much simpler. I hope.

Any input you can offer is appreciated.
aricsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
b1lk1
AF Regular

Re: 2005 Grand Caravan Transmission Problem - No limp - No fault codes

Losing all gears is almost guaranteed a mechanical issue, not electronic. Just be mindful that most transmission shops are shady.

b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
trannyman52
AF Regular

An electronic transmission requires input and output signals to shift correctly,,,,,to move foreward or reverse it requires no signal input or output,,,will not shift correctly,,,but will move...sorry ...probably shot....,,,,as for comments from bilk1,,i take those comments as a personal insult !!! If you go to a shop with the logo ATRA or ATSG,,99% are very caring and interested in helping you,,,yes they have to make a profit just as you expect a check from your employer!!! I have 30 years of playing with this STUFF,,NOT once have I taken advantage of the situation,,,and know many of the same !!!!Too bad there is people with that mind set,,,,,If your not happy with the price quote or explanation of the repair,,YOU always have the option of LEAVING !!!!! ......gbaum
trannyman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

aricsdaddy, very unusual for it to go out without any prior warning, did you notice anything prior?
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
aricsdaddy
AF Newbie

Hi. Nope it seemed to work fine, then all of a sudden it just would not engage in any drive gear.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
aricsdaddy
AF Newbie

Spoke to the repair shop and they said that it is an internal problem as the fluid (Changed 1000 miles earlier) smelt and looked burnt. They found no Transmission computer faults or other problems.

Well since I have already put new brakes and tires on this vehicle I decided to bite my lip and let them do the work. They are going to Charge me $2600 to rebuild the transmission, replace the EGR valve and do a full service with new plugs etc. I also get a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty (This place has been around for a long time.) In comparison Dodge wanted $4600 just to replace the transmission.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
b1lk1
AF Regular

@ trannyman52: I'm glad you are one of the good guys, but this part of the business is FULL of deceit and scams. I have been a mechanic for over 20 years and I do not send any customers to transmission shops that I do not trust 110% because most are bad. I've had personal horrible experiences with some of the bad.

@ aricsdaddy: Make CERTAIN that the transmission is working perfectly from the day you pick it up. Even with a warranty they will be reluctant to even inspect it AFTER you take delivery.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
trannyman52
AF Regular

I'll have to put you on my favorites list,,,just irks me,,I know you have experienced this ,,,that YOU should have known what the problem with my car is,,,,it is simple ,,,just replace a part and life is good!!!! Those people REALLY need to repair there own car,,,to find out how much BS a mechanic goes through ,,,then to be told what an idiot they are...or better yet,,,it's going to cost how much??????,,,can't you do it cheaper?????
Can you smell what I am stepping in???????? gbaum
trannyman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
b1lk1
AF Regular

Those dreaded words, "Can you do it cheaper?". I send those customers packing.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
aricsdaddy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Those dreaded words, "Can you do it cheaper?". I send those customers packing.
It's one thing asking if a repair can be done cheaper, and another being ripped off. In my case I paid what I was quoted from my local garage, however I would never paid dealership costs unless it was an unavoidable emergency.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

The important thing is finding a shop that is good and trustworthy and then sticking with it. I had many loyal customers for the longest time and I treated them well but now since I can't do as much physically anymore I am looking for a trustworthy place to take mine. Repair prices are high but in most instances pretty fair, being in the auto repair industry is both challenging and costly.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote