Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 02:06 PM   #1
xaoslaad
AF Newbie

OBD II P0341 Scan Code

I have a '99 Saturn SL2 with the service engine soon light on. I took it by Autozone and the error that came up on the OBD II scan tool was P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience troubleshooting this specific code and whether this is a sign of a potentially big problem or something relatively minor.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
xaoslaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #2
marzoda
AF Newbie

Same Problem

Hi Jason,

I am encountering the same problem. I have a p0341 code on my 1999 saturn sl2. The really strange thing is that I went to Autozone in Laurel, MD 20707 and they pulled the code for me. Is this the same Autozone? Well my Saturn is still having the problem. Did you find a solution???

Thanks,

Dave
marzoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
kicknbutts
AF Newbie

Re: Same Problem

hello, the P0341 code is a fluke in the programming. saturns don't have a cam sensor. you need to hop into a saturn dealer and have the PCM- power control mod recalibrated to correct the false code.
kicknbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:45 AM   #4
mcknt
AF Newbie

Re: OBD II P0341 Scan Code

I just got a P0341 on my 2000 Saturn SL1.
I read somewhere that a guy replaced the spark plug wires and spark plugs and the problem went away. So, I bought some new plugs, gapped them to .040 and installed. Borrowed a scantool to reset the computer and so far the problem is gone. Tomorrows drive to/from work should settle the issue. By the way, the gap on the old plugs was cyl. #1 - .047, cyl #2 - .040, cyl #3 - .047, cyl #4 - .043, so it is possible that just cleaning and regapping might of worked, but the little maintenance cheat sheet says replace the plugs every 30,000 miles, well after 55,000 miles, I figure maybe I ought to do it.
mcknt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
Lucas1
AF Regular

P0341 is not a fluke in the programming. saturns do not have a camshaft sensor, however, the PCM uses the ignition signal from the #4 cylinder as a camsensor to determine the camshaft position. the code is almost always caused by a misfire. replace the plugs (with OEM NGK's) and the plug wires. check your coil towers for corossion, if there is any present, replace them(some people just clean them, but i would recommend replacing them). this will correct the problem.
Lucas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
stonyhooty
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to stonyhooty Send a message via Yahoo to stonyhooty

i have a 1998 saturn that has that po341 code on it and we replaced the plugs and wired and that didnt help. what else
stonyhooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #7
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

your in luck, i just posted this two days ago... http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...threadid=43380
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:37 PM   #8
mcknt
AF Newbie

Sierrap615, Just read your post on saturnfans. that is good advice. I figure that the computer must read the resistances somehow and if they get outta spec, then it sets the code. So keeping the ignition circuit clean is going to be key here.

I live in SoCal and don't go near the beach often enough to have to worry about the salt air, but I reckon this could be a problem in the rust belt area.
mcknt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:37 PM   #9
stonyhooty
AF Newbie

I spoke too soon that code is not showing up on my car anymore but now i have a "catalyst effeciency below threshold" do you think that is an o2 sensor or my catalytic converter. just wondering thanks.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:49 AM   #10
saturnman
AF Newbie

it is not a fluke in the program for all of you uneducated so called wanna be mechanics, just ask the saturnman,and i will give you a straight answer.. 0341 is a ground problem with the ignition module....a cheap fix is to remove the ignition module,cleal the surface of the trans and back of module,replace bolts and plug wires along with .040 gap plugs.clear code.. if light comes back on,replacement of ignition module is needed............
saturnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:16 AM   #11
stonyhooty
AF Newbie

anyone know anything about the po420 code for a 1998 saturn sl1 thanks.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:54 PM   #12
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

DTC P0420
Catalyst System Low Efficiency

most likey a bad cat, but possibly a bad O2 sensor or leak in the exhaust system. take it to you local saturn dealership, that cat may be covered by the 8yr federally mandated warrenty
Old 10-30-2004, 02:11 PM   #13
stonyhooty
AF Newbie

thanks sierrap615 but i dont think i have that warrenty cuz this one has been wrecked before. and there is no saturn dealers anywhere around me so ill just fix it myself. thanks alot though
Old 02-07-2005, 12:24 AM   #14
mortgagewiz
AF Newbie

Thanks Saturnman

I believe your response to this error code might fix my problem. I'm going to replace the ignition module next.

By the way, many Saturns DO have a camshaft/crankshaft position sensors! Your dealer might call it a crankshaft postion sensor while many after market part companies will call it camshaft. Doesn't matter, it is the same sensor. It is located slightly above and behind the starter. To find it, you must find the starter, located on the backside and under the engine. Jack up the car and reach your hand (hope it isn't as fat as mine) above the starter and feel for the sensor since you can't see it. You are trying to feel for a wire connector with a 10 mm bolt underneath it. The 1 bolt is the only thing holding the sensor on.

My local dealership (Southern California) says that the sensor itself rarely fails. And after looking at one, I can see why. It doesn't appear to have any transistors or computerized parts on it.

What many times the problem is, assuming it really is a problem with this sensor (many times it isn't), is a broken or about to be broken or exposed wire to the sensor. The 2 wires that go to the sensor are poorly placed. The wire protection is not enough and the wires are bare for at least 8 inches, on a hot area of the engine.

After taking out the sensor and making sure it is clean, check the wires.
mortgagewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #15
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

slow down mortgagewiz. i think you are talking about two different problems. first the camshaft and crankshaft are two seperate parts, and every Otto cycle engine has both(except Formula 1 race cars, but thats a different subject).

The crankshaft receives a linear force from the pistons/connecting rods and converts it to a rotational force, then sends the energy to the transmission and any other assecerys.

the Camshaft (or Camshafts) is timed to and powered by the crank shaft and controls the opening and closing of valves, it can also drive assecerys. the camshaft turns at 1/2 crankshaft speed on 4-stroke engines.

by montoring the crankshaft, the PCM can determine the engine position or more specifcly the pision position. by montoring the camshaft, and combining it with the crankshaft position, the PCM can now determine which stroke each piston is on. this information is used for missfire diagonois, SFI, and coil-over-plug spark timing. since the S-series uses DIS, the later is not important.

the sensor you are discribing is the crankshaft sensor, and as my link above says, the S-series doesn't use a typical camshaft sensor, instead it creates a fake signal by watching the #4 spark plug for timing.

and whatever your method of finding that the ignition module is bad, i suggest you rethink it. i have talked to several techs that have worked for saturn dealerships, and between all of them, i have heard two times the ignition module need replaced: one was in a flood and the other had battery acid leaking onto it. however, sometimes the mounting bolt start to rust, which leads to a bad ground. the crankshaft sensor isn't rare to fail, but it isn't common. there is a transiter inside. test it with a ohm meter, it should be 700-900 ohms, then wave a peice of metal near it, the reading should go to zero.