Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool 2008 Kia Optima LX 4Cyl - Hard Vibration & Jiggly Steering Wheel over 50mph.

2008 Kia Optima LX 4Cyl - Hard Vibration & Jiggly Steering Wheel over 50mph.

Town Fair and my Kia Dealer have thrown everything they have at this problem, including two new tires, one new rim to replace one Town Fair said was wobbly, and countless computer rebalances.

Presently, after my last rotation, I have a strong 'pounding' vibration that seems to come from beneath or behind me, but the steering wheel is not wiggling left and right over 50-60mph as it did before this weeks rotation. Both the jiggling steering wheel and the present vibration began occurring over 50mph and progressively worsen at higher speeds up into the low 70s(fastest I've driven it like this).

The dealer said it needs an alignment. In my mind I'm thinking "bad alignments cause pull to one side, wandering, or irregular tire wear - NOT vibrations"! but anywho....

What more to check? The wiggly steering part of it has persisted since 2012, and I just want the Optima I remembered back!
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2008 Kia Optima LX 4Cyl - Hard Vibration & Jiggly Steering Wheel over 50mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
... but the steering wheel is not wiggling left and right over 50-60mph as it did before this weeks rotation. Both the jiggling steering wheel and the present vibration began occurring over 50mph and progressively worsen at higher speeds up into the low 70s(fastest I've driven it like this).
If the jiggling steering wheel went away when the wheels and tires were rotated, that pretty much confirms that there is an issue with one or both of the wheels and/or tires that are now on the rear. That issue is very likely what is setting up the vibration you are feeling under the middle area of the car currently. You might try rotating just one side at a time to see which one causes the steering wheel to jiggle, then replace that wheel and tire combination.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2008 Kia Optima LX 4Cyl - Hard Vibration & Jiggly Steering Wheel over 50mph.

Find a tire store that has a road force balancer. Tires can be out of round enough to cause a shake but still pass a spin balance check.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vgames33 For This Useful Post:
RidingOnRailz (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: 2008 Kia Optima LX 4Cyl - Hard Vibration & Jiggly Steering Wheel over 50mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgames33 View Post
Find a tire store that has a road force balancer. Tires can be out of round enough to cause a shake but still pass a spin balance check.
Ahhhhhhh... This has been a long-suffering saga with this car.

Town Fair Tire was chasing a wobbly rim from front to rear end, and twice ordered the wrong replacement rim. My original rim was discarded after the first attempt.

Got a refund and drove on my donut to the dealership, who ordered the right one. Steering wheel still jiggled after installation.

I went back to Town Fair, insisted that they replaced the wrong rim, and that the bad rim was back on the rear end passenger side. The asst. manager, a little irked by this point, acquiesced to a free balancing of both rear tires. I told him I wanted to watch the procedure, and he stated, you can't come in the bay for safety reasons -state law. I still insisted. He let me stand at the rear of my car, still in view of the balancing machine.

I witnessed the balancing, and noticed another technician running over to assist the one doing my balancing under the watch of the asst. manager. There was a bit of yelling, and the one doing my balancing shooed the other tech away. The balancing was finished, all zeroed out. This Town Fair did not have road force.

Went back on the highway, rear end was hopping up and down like psycho-Easter Bunny over 50mph!! I had a friend spot me on the highway a day later, and he said my tires "rolled like in a TV cartoon"!

Eventually, I returned to Kia Dealer, they road-tested it, and turns out they have road force! Car is as smooth as new, and the service mgr said "I have no comment on whatever they did at Town Fair".
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Even smoother now! Just had front brakes done, got another 6 months left on the rears. Front rotors were definitely worn to the point of being warped. Car really rolls so I've got to pay attn to what's in front of me now. LOL

This 2008 Kia feels like it's good old self. Thanks to all concerned!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
dharris973303
AF Newbie

sure wheel imbalance = #1 cause
alignment #2

warped rotor #3

but what is outside the box for a thump ?

1. road condition could be rough road
2. air drag and a loose under cover. i've seen undercovers catch air at 55 and begin to slap the underbody
dharris973303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: 2008 Kia Optima LX 4Cyl - Hard Vibration & Jiggly Steering Wheel over 50mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharris973303 View Post
sure wheel imbalance = #1 cause
alignment #2

warped rotor #3

but what is outside the box for a thump ?

1. road condition could be rough road
2. air drag and a loose under cover. i've seen undercovers catch air at 55 and begin to slap the underbody

Well, like I said all vibrations, jiggly steering wheel, are cured, at least for now.
The car rolls about as smoothly as you'd expect a 2000 mid-size with 44,000 miles to move.

Regarding your causations, nothing can convince me that out-of-alignment(#2), once also suggested by the dealer service desk, can cause vibration of any kind.

Loose parts(IE tie rod), bent wheels(in mycase) etc can cause that.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
steering , vibration , wheel
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical