Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
downfal1
AF Newbie

Unhappy Stuck in park

hello, i have a 1989 ford truck with an auto trans and it wont shift from park. This is what happend... I stoped at a gas station and put some gas in it, when i went to start it the ignition didnt turn on. The key just spun around and didnt catch anything. So i put it in neutral and pushed it into a parking spot put it in park. Then i took off the bottom cover from the column and pushed the ignition rod down and it started, but when i tried to put it in gear it wouldn't move from park... Ok so i dont know where the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid is and im sure it has something to do with this. Is there a way to just take out the safety lock or disable it, cuz i dont wana put any money in this truck. Iv tried taking out the fuse for the brakes and shift it but it didnt work. I got it home by taking a bolt out of one of the levers under the truck and just had someone push the brake while i shifted it into drive under the truck. Maybe i broke something taking off the cover on the column? Is there anything that i could broke to make this happen? Please need help and i dont have any cash, would like a quick fix for now so i can get to work!

Last edited by downfal1; 11-12-2010 at 10:15 AM.
downfal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Re: Stuck in park

If all the brake lights work, place it in neutral first and then start the truck. If the brake lights are inop, the stop light switch is probably bad, or the fuses you removed needs replaced.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
downfal1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2old View Post
If all the brake lights work, place it in neutral first and then start the truck. If the brake lights are inop, the stop light switch is probably bad, or the fuses you removed needs replaced.
Well brake lights work... fuse is good, still wont shift outa park :-( Do you think maybe the ignition is locking my shifter? Im not sure how it locks without the key in, but thats the only thing i can think of that might have happend. The key would spin all the way around like 360, but after i pushed the rod down, now it catches and when i turn the key it moves it down. Maybe something came lose while messing with it?

Last edited by downfal1; 11-12-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 11-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
downfal1
AF Newbie

I fixed it for now, when the ignition spun around it musta somehow kept the shifter locked when i turned it back. So all i did was just really cranked on the key to turn it past agin and it somehow unlocked it. Its perma unlocked now. Dose anyone know what i might have to replace to get this working the right way? Is it just the ignition or are there other parts i might have broke by turning it where it shouldn't be?